• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GilligansGirls

Chirping
Apr 20, 2017
South Texas
My Coop
My Coop
There is a new Bill that many of us are trying to get into and past this next Special Session. That is SB 1620 making it illegal for "Political Subdivisions" and "Municipalities" to not allow Backyard Chickens. However, those terms do not seem to include HOA's in the mix. So what I am wondering is the way this bill Is written how many Texans is it helping since so many cities already have some sort of stipulations allowing chickens. I would like to know if you live in a city can you or can you not have chickens and if you live in a HOA can you or can you not have poultry?

Our city reduced the number from four at a certain size lot to two per household. Didn't know this when i got six chicks expecting loss and had no loss. Apparently many local owners were allowing their hens to roam in neighbors yards and owning roos as well. The local HOAs do not allow chickens but I'm not in one. When I asked about chickens the answer was "they are pests". So I don't think the city feels they have a good following, however people don't call the city just to say "Hey just wanted to tell you I love chickens." I'm on the animal shelter advisory board, but I'm tackling TNR for stray cats before I go on about chickens. I am hoping this law passes as I have six hens.

I live in Arlington, almost in Pantego. No HOA, and I'll never live under the jackboots of one either. Usual city ordinances related to limit, no roos, 50 feet from any inhabited dwellings, yada yada. I know we have at least 5-6 nearby neighbors that keep poultry because I can hear the egg cheer on occasion. My old established neighborhood is comprised of very very large lots averaging slightly ove 1.5 acres. Our lots are often odd shapes due to being near large creeks and small city lakes/ponds/retention pools, and the railway easement that runs alongside Division nearby. We have lots of large oaks and mature landscapes with heavily screened borders on most lots.

I ordered 25 layer pullets and plan to keep 10, with the rest sold off this fall as started layers. Hopefully I have no hidden roosters. 10 is slightly more than city allows me, but I'm doing it anyway. Planning on gifting the immediate neighbors with fresh eggs from time to time, as well as selling some. Colorful dozens from local backyard flocks sell really well here, at about $4/dozen.

I physically live in a HOA enforced neighborhood in Sugarland, and have a farm where the chickens are kept that is near Bay City.
I am fortunate in that aspect.
I secretly raised the chicks (shhh!!) at the house until they are old enough to join the rest of the flock. (I try to time the integration so I am able to be at the farm for an extended period of time to monitor them)
I will move out of the HOA enforced neighborhood the moment my kids graduate high school and pack for college!!
Let's see I have a 14 year old, and twin 11 year olds. Sooo I have awhile to wait. If only the school system were better near the farm!!

Back
Top Bottom