1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Texas Rat Snake a.k.a. chicken snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by araceli, May 25, 2012.

1. araceli

araceli Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011

This was found on my front door. Been missing eggs from my most dependable girls who lay eggs in the morning. I get lucky enough to get my afternoon eggs. I am looking for more info on these snakes. Do they eat rattlersnakes? Do they pose a threat to my chickens. My bantam rooster is super tiny. Like the size of a parrot. Can they eat him? What about small dogs? Please share any info you know. Thanks!

ijjj[​IMG]

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    kill it to be safe atleast you know it wont be eating your eggs

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I disagree. A rat snake CAN be your best friend as it will eat the rats and mice that eat your chicken feed. 1/2" hardware cloth will keep him out of the coop and away from your eggs. No, he won't eat rattlesnakes, but he also won't eat your dog or even chickens over a certain size. The only time I'd be worried is if you have baby chicks in there but again, the hardware cloth will prevent him getting access to them.

4. Phyrst

Phyrst Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD
    HEChicken is right. A tight coop and you won't have to worry. Unless it's venomous, it' part of the food cycle.

5. roadrunner0

roadrunner0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    North East Ohio
    Pound a pipe a foot or so in the ground and tie a small boom box to it.. Put on your favorite 24 hour music station and set it at at least half volume.. Cover it with a bucket and let it play, the vibrations transferred into the ground will keep snakes and rodents away.. Talk radio or sports will scare off crows, hawks, fox, coyote and other predators..

1 person likes this.
  6. Phyrst

Phyrst Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    eastern shore of MD
    I've never heard of that but it "sounds" like a good idea!! Thanks for posting.

7. bjosie2150

bjosie2150 New Egg

Nov 16, 2012
    Just found this one in my coop with an egg in it's mouth....got my egg back unharmed though...I hate snakes!!! Blech!!
    [​IMG]

8. MontgomeryTX

MontgomeryTX Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    2 really big ones in 3 days one was 5' and one 6'6". They killed a silkie and 2 chicks ate eggs. Catch them or kill them for me it just depends on the circumstances. Sometimes my turkeys kill them.

9. MontgomeryTX

MontgomeryTX Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    [​IMG]
    #3 this week

10. bb13acres

bb13acres New Egg

Apr 6, 2015
    what is hardware cloth and how would you use it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by