Texas Rat Snake a.k.a. chicken snake

araceli

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011

This was found on my front door. Been missing eggs from my most dependable girls who lay eggs in the morning. I get lucky enough to get my afternoon eggs. I am looking for more info on these snakes. Do they eat rattlersnakes? Do they pose a threat to my chickens. My bantam rooster is super tiny. Like the size of a parrot. Can they eat him? What about small dogs? Please share any info you know. Thanks!

ijjj

kill it to be safe atleast you know it wont be eating your eggs

I disagree. A rat snake CAN be your best friend as it will eat the rats and mice that eat your chicken feed. 1/2" hardware cloth will keep him out of the coop and away from your eggs. No, he won't eat rattlesnakes, but he also won't eat your dog or even chickens over a certain size. The only time I'd be worried is if you have baby chicks in there but again, the hardware cloth will prevent him getting access to them.

I disagree. A rat snake CAN be your best friend as it will eat the rats and mice that eat your chicken feed. 1/2" hardware cloth will keep him out of the coop and away from your eggs. No, he won't eat rattlesnakes, but he also won't eat your dog or even chickens over a certain size. The only time I'd be worried is if you have baby chicks in there but again, the hardware cloth will prevent him getting access to them.

HEChicken is right. A tight coop and you won't have to worry. Unless it's venomous, it' part of the food cycle.

Pound a pipe a foot or so in the ground and tie a small boom box to it.. Put on your favorite 24 hour music station and set it at at least half volume.. Cover it with a bucket and let it play, the vibrations transferred into the ground will keep snakes and rodents away.. Talk radio or sports will scare off crows, hawks, fox, coyote and other predators..

Pound a pipe a foot or so in the ground and tie a small boom box to it.. Put on your favorite 24 hour music station and set it at at least half volume.. Cover it with a bucket and let it play, the vibrations transferred into the ground will keep snakes and rodents away.. Talk radio or sports will scare off crows, hawks, fox, coyote and other predators..

I've never heard of that but it "sounds" like a good idea!! Thanks for posting.

Just found this one in my coop with an egg in it's mouth....got my egg back unharmed though...I hate snakes!!! Blech!!

2 really big ones in 3 days one was 5' and one 6'6". They killed a silkie and 2 chicks ate eggs. Catch them or kill them for me it just depends on the circumstances. Sometimes my turkeys kill them.

#3 this week

Back
Top Bottom