Texas Rat Snake a.k.a. chicken snake

I kept and raised several species of snakes, venomous and non-venomous, during my teen and young adult life. Although you can build a cage that will deter entry by snakes to your coop, it is virtually impossible to snake-proof a cage (other than sweater boxes built into cabinets with very slight tolerances,). All the above-mentioned things will help, but if it really wants in, it's coming in. I've seen them get in and out of things you wouldn't think possible. You can't have any gaps, cracks or holes.

I catch and relocate. Some of them are very beneficial to have around.

We have a lot of gopher snakes here. We always leave them alone since they keep down the rodents & ground squirrels. The only snakes we kill are rattle snakes on our property. We even move them off the road (carefully) so they aren't road kill! Luckily they don't seem to enter the coop/run. Our 3 dogs patrol the backyard. That being said, we have way fewer snakes than you folks back East! When we visit my sister in Eastern Oklahoma, I see a lot of snakes!

We have a lot of gopher snakes here. We always leave them alone since they keep down the rodents & ground squirrels. The only snakes we kill are rattle snakes on our property. We even move them off the road (carefully) so they aren't road kill! Luckily they don't seem to enter the coop/run. Our 3 dogs patrol the backyard. That being said, we have way fewer snakes than you folks back East! When we visit my sister in Eastern Oklahoma, I see a lot of snakes!

I have a kingsnake that hangs out around my coops. He suns there. Never caught him in the coops or around my chicks. We have more copperheads than anything else. Always have to be careful if I'm out there at night. I don't kill anything except cottonmouths, and that's because they are really dangerous, especially the larger ones. Rarely see them in my yard though.

Yes some snakes are good to have a round...But around my chicken NO .. I do one of two things ,,,,, dissolve moth balls in water and spray around the areas that I don't want snakes or put the mothballs whole in areas that the animals cannot get to. Even though the smell is strong sometimes its worth it.. Snakes do not like chemical smells. I also put these in my garden , flower beds, under house/sheds. Repeat as needed. With this method I only see snakes around when there are heavy rains... Good luck and be safe on all of your snake encounters.

It’s difficult/ impossible to 100% snake proof a coop.

If you leave the coop door open during the day, snakes will still help themselves to what’s inside. Rat/chicken snakes are not soley nocturnal. They hunt day/night when they’re hungry.

I have yet to find any snake preventer that works, other than a pitchfork and/or pellet gun.

(Sulfur doesn’t work, the rat snake I killed today was digesting his last meal laying on top of a layer of sulfur powder. )

I put a glue board in the coop today, and will see how that works. Maybe it will catch a mouse that becomes bait for a snake.

Otherwise, stay vigilent, collect your eggs often throughout the day, protect your chicks/pullets, and keep a pitchfork handy.

Back
Top Bottom