Texas

Yes, I'm having the same problem, but I'm out towards Madisonville/Bryan area. My chickens wouldn't eat them either. I'm going to get guinea hens as well. I lost my whole crop of zucchini this year. I'm hoping my eggplants will survive the onslaught as well. My 6 yo was doing a great job of catching and drowning the bugs, but its gotten too hot for her. I'm doing everything I can to avoid using any chemicals, especially my little ones(3 daughters) wander through the garden and graze on whatever they can find that's ripe.

Same here, but with grandkids, still not sure about guineas eating the squash bugs. Found some say they would and some say they wont. Guess I have to get some and find out for myself. :/

Quote:
These are the ones we used:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

price listed (when I put in the zip code) is showing right now as 19.99 each

their description:

Protect and contain your livestock with this 16 ft. feedlot panel. It's perfect for keeping cattle, pigs, goats, and other live stock or animals fenced in. It is light weight and flexible, so it is easy to maneuver. With one piece welded steel construction, this panel is extremely sturdy and sag resistant, making it the perfect low-maintenance, high-quality feedlot panel.
  • Won't break down or collapse when cattle, pigs, sheep or other large livestock run into or rub against it
  • Constructed of 4 ga. wire
  • Graduated 8 in. vertical x 4 in. horizontal to 8 in. vertical x 6 in. horizontal mesh
  • Welded one piece steel construction
  • Virtually maintenance free
  • Sag resistant
  • Easy to erect, no stretching
  • Not all panels available in all stores
  • For Use With - Cattle
  • Height - 50 in.
  • Length - 16 ft.
  • Material - Steel

Quote:
When I butchered the excess orpingtons and wyandottes the wyandotts had more "meat to bone" ratio... birds were hatched out the same day and also fed the same food .. the orpingtons LOOKED bigger.. but they had more "fluffiness" to their feathers. As to personality.. both were good mommas for me.. the orpingtons I had were meaner to other birds (they made it to the top of the pecking order fast) but were just as nice to people as the wyandottes.

Jersey Giants also make good birds for this area.. they can withstand the heat and get big.. BUT it takes them longer to fill out muscle.. so it would depend on how long one would have to wait for them to reach a better meat to bone ratio
Given a choice between the Jerseys and Marans.. it would be a tough call.. the jerseys are hardier birds (my longest lived birds are Jersey mixes).. but the marans fill out a lot faster.
Some of the Jersey roos can be a bit of a bugger... so they would need to be culled early (would still make a good soup bird even if they were more bones than meat). But once you cull out the "nasty roos" the bloodlines get to where you have some very sweet birds.

Last edited:
Howdy all newcomers! Welcome to the world of chickens. You will absolutely love it!

Lisa :)

P.S. Little Wing that is a cute little girl you have there. I approve of the picture!!
LOL, thanks Lisa! That's my grandson Elvis. I've been begging mom to cut his hair and the pink BB gun is his sisters. I hope people don't think I'm being irresponsible. Shooting lessons come with even longer lessons on safety (what a bam bam does and how it can hurt others)
I know he is young but he also has a grip on where chickens come from, that there are mommy and daddy chickens, that some of them die and some get eaten. I let them get dirty and germy too.
As Paula Deen just said on the Today Show..."I is what I is and I aint changin."

Now, back to CHICKENS. I have a new batch of Ameraucanas hatching right now.
wee.gif

I have never heard of the corner thing...my coup is a square, wouldnt worry about that much.[/quote]

X2. I agree about the corner thing. I think probably most people have square or rectangle coops... Therefore they have corners. As long as its a closed corner, and there isn't an opening where a head or something can get stuck, you will be fine. People tend to make chicken keeping harder than it actually is. All you really need is a good shelter that is safe from predators, plenty of room per bird, clean water, and a good diet. I have Wyandottes.. I like them ok. They tend to be a little more flighty than some of my other birds, but they are still friendly. LOVE ameraucanas and EE's. Orps, Doms, and Marans are all good choices.

Question about gathering eggs...

I'm going out of town July 4-7th. I have an automatic waterer set up for the chickens and a feeder that's big enough. Would the eggs be good if I collected them when I return?

My gut is telling me no because of the heat.

Question about gathering eggs...

I'm going out of town July 4-7th. I have an automatic waterer set up for the chickens and a feeder that's big enough. Would the eggs be good if I collected them when I return?

My gut is telling me no because of the heat.
Whenever we go out of town I have someone come check on the chickens and collect the eggs. What if something happened to one of them while you're gone? :( I find the piece of mind is worth paying a pet sitter, and sometimes they'll even lower the fee since they don't have to walk a dog ;) Or trade the eggs.

*sigh* I attempted to make a grow out pen/quarantine pen. It was an epic failure. I am so not good with tools.

Anyone bored and wanna make me one? Lol.

ETA - anyone use a pen like this? http://houston.craigslist.org/grd/3893724102.html

I've made my 10' x 5' breeding pens like these sans the door. The PVC pipe and couplings were around $30. I used 2" x 4" welded wire and bought it in 100' rolls. To completely cover the structure it took approx. 48'. The one end I covered took another 5'. Cost of the wire was around $60. Main thing you have to worry about is the UV rays from the sun will deteriorate the PVC over time. You can extend the life by painting the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom