Texas

lol's its so nice that you let you hubby get a say.

Lol, at least he isn't pushing for me to get rid of half the flock, that would start a war! I can down size by 4 or 5 pullets to keep the peace, but no more.

So I have some RIRs that are 21 weeks old, have been de-wormed and are mite free for sale.

I also have an extra white Chinese gander, Noel, that is for sale. He is 14 weeks old, loves chest scratches and telling you about his day. I am willing to part with a goose as well to keep him happy to the right home. I have 1 white 14 week old white Chinese goose, Maybel, who is nice but shy, and a 15 week old African goose, Peaches, who is also nice but shy. Buyer would get to pick between Maybel or Peaches. I have too many ganders and need to find Noel a good home. This would also reducemy goose flock from 8 to 6. The geese were raised with chickens and share a coop with ducks, have never seen any signs of aggression towards the ducks or chickens from these geese being offered for sale.

The mean African Gertrude is suspected to be a gander and is too mean to sell, he will probably end up dinner.

Last edited:
I've found tons of listing for Serama. I don't necessarily have a breed preference, I have to wonder why so many of the same breed are suddenly available.
hu.gif

LOL - sounds like a good idea. Have looked into all the stuff that goes along with using the various terms like "organic" - lot of hassle, and money, inspections - not worth it really unless you're a big company that needs to use the term to try to get an edge over the competition.
So true...even though you may practice organic, there are so many little loop holes. It takes a lot of money to get certified. Ex, I checked my feed and even tough it's "natural", GMO free, Soy free, it's not organic because every ingredient in it would have to be organic.
A lot of vendors at the farmers' market aren't certified organic either, because of the constant costs.

lol's its so nice that you let you hubby get a say.
gig.gif
It's the illusion of choice
wink.png

Like when you ask a kid which vegetable they want for dinner...they get a choice..but they're still eating those veggies!
Joking of course. Lol. Hubbs helps me with the girls a lot so I always ask him.

So we first time chicken farmers get our cute little chicks, raise them in a brooder box, teach them where to roost, and everything is nice and orderly. I never thought about what would happen when bringing a mature free range rooster into the mix. He started out by jumping out of his run into the main run, okay... I know my friend's flock is healthy and he's gentle around the 6 week old babies even when they pecked on him. Then dusk and all the girls line up to go to roost like always. He jumps on top of the rain barrel, on top of the coop, and up a tree. So after crowing constantly since 4 am, (did I mention tree was just outside our bedroom window?) he is still 20 feet in the air at 9 am. It only took him 30 seconds to go from ground zero to 20 ft elevation. Does he not know how to jump down, or is he happy up there? I'm not climbing up there after him!

So we first time chicken farmers get our cute little chicks, raise them in a brooder box, teach them where to roost, and everything is nice and orderly. I never thought about what would happen when bringing a mature free range rooster into the mix. He started out by jumping out of his run into the main run, okay... I know my friend's flock is healthy and he's gentle around the 6 week old babies even when they pecked on him. Then dusk and all the girls line up to go to roost like always. He jumps on top of the rain barrel, on top of the coop, and up a tree. So after crowing constantly since 4 am, (did I mention tree was just outside our bedroom window?) he is still 20 feet in the air at 9 am. It only took him 30 seconds to go from ground zero to 20 ft elevation. Does he not know how to jump down, or is he happy up there? I'm not climbing up there after him!

My neighbors free range game chickens roost in trees, but they all get down as soon as its light enough to see. He may be up there because it feels safe, he may be crowing to claim the turf and inform other roosters that he is here and he is king, or he may not know how to get down, lol. If he doesn't come down soon, get a rooster pole, long pole with a hook on it, snag his feet and pull him down. As soon as he is down, clip those wings or this will be a daily thing.

Last edited:
Well our 3 little beat up peepers survived their first night. It seemed weird to be 84 degrees and put a light on them but, it got cool for them last night even at 77 degrees. They got their beaks dipped today and introduced to chick starter. All three were up on their feet and trying to forage in the shavings a little. They respond to my voice...it's too cute...they pop their heads up and start chirping when talk to them. The one with the most damage will probably be bald, poor little guy. It looks like the skin actually slid back on its head. We talked about putting it down but it's such a game little bird I want to give it a chance. If Belle ever goes broody again she will be allowed to brood the eggs until hatch day and then with the first pip she is outta there. She is acting like a little hussy already flirting with the roos...and she was such a good nanny.

I started my flock a couple of months ago i have 12 french copper marans although a couple of them don't look like copper marans :)

Well our 3 little beat up peepers survived their first night. It seemed weird to be 84 degrees and put a light on them but, it got cool for them last night even at 77 degrees. They got their beaks dipped today and introduced to chick starter. All three were up on their feet and trying to forage in the shavings a little. They respond to my voice...it's too cute...they pop their heads up and start chirping when talk to them. The one with the most damage will probably be bald, poor little guy. It looks like the skin actually slid back on its head. We talked about putting it down but it's such a game little bird I want to give it a chance. If Belle ever goes broody again she will be allowed to brood the eggs until hatch day and then with the first pip she is outta there. She is acting like a little hussy already flirting with the roos...and she was such a good nanny.
Is this the same Seabright that raised the last bunch? Or was that Becka?

FINALLY getting the flock started. Took long enough.
roll.png

One dozen Buff Orpington pullets will be here in 3 weeks. Brooder ready, supplies ready, ready to build the tractor.
Welcome!

I started my flock a couple of months ago i have 12 french copper marans although a couple of them don't look like copper marans :)
Feel free to post pics! We like them
wink.png

And someone maybe able to help with any suspicions

Back
Top Bottom