Texas

:: settles into the Texas thread ::

It's warmer in Michigan. What is going on here in Amarillo? I thought I saw snow flakes today.
hmm.png
I am just here for a couple of days and thought I would say HOWDY!

I got my first home grown three babies today - Eggs were layed September 30th and Oct. 1st - then they hatched on November 2nd – chicken got broodie around the 15th of October.
Eggs were 15-16 days old before hen decided to sit on them. She sat on the eggs for about 18 days, maybe longer I just didn't notice.

Quote:
congratulations!! which one was broody, and what kind of chicks?

I had almost given up on getting a broodie hen - ans was about to throw out a dozen eggs that following weekend - when all the sudden I noticed my Black Astralorp going broodie on everybodys eggs. I put all the eggs together and she sat on them. So far, I have two yellow chicks and one black chick. I think the yellow chicks are leghorn mixes. I have five roosters - two cochin, polish, and two leghorns. None of the chicks have feathers on their legs or fluffs on top of their head. I still have 9 eggs in the coop that have not hatched yet and three in an icubator. I bought the mini incubator thinking that I have non broodie hens. Reading online I read that my chicken breeds are rarely broodie. I put a light in the coop for tonight because the temperature is suppose to drop due to a cold front coming through. I don't want the chicks to get cold and die.

I'm in Liberty and I'm always looking to buy sell and trade to expand my little stock. I'm looking for some prettier breeds like welsummer and marans and some of the better layer breeds like leghorns and Rhode island reds if anybody between houston and beaumont has any available.

Back
Top Bottom