Texas

Chicken Genetics fascinates me too. I would love to be able to create a Colombian Marans. The closest I have come is crossing a FBCM and my Coronation Sussex just to see what would happen. Judging by the offspring, I suspect all I would get is a darker shade of brown and only suitable for a barnyard mix for eating eggs. Some came out jet black, others, a white face and belly. So, that is not the magic mixture by any means. I would love to have a breeding stock of Colombian Marans. I just have to figure out the right genetics. This current hatch is Blue Americanas to add to my small amount of hens who have been giving an average now of about 3 eggs a day. I would prefer to have more layers before I re-launch them for sale. So, I put 8 of theirs in the incubator this time with pure Coronation Sussex to add to my girls. My Coronation Sussex give me about 7 eggs a day now. Of course my son found another double yoker and was hopping for twins. I told him not to get his hopes up, because last time the unfertilized yoke on top stopped the growth of the chick embryo on the bottom before it could be fully formed.

I can identify. My wife doesn't like Chickens or Dogs. She was raised on 20 plus acres with nothing but a cat, which I think is sad. So, she is a cat person. Maybe because they are low maintenance. I, on the other hand, love birds and dogs. Now, that I am retired I have a down payment on the GSD litter not that far from me. I received all kinds of stern warnings, how she doesn't like dogs, won't have anything to do with the dog, and on and on. Fine with me. A large German Shepherd that loves only me is okay with me. I have already picked out his name. I told my wife, when he gets crate trained as a little tyke he will probably whine and cry at night at first. My wife, said, 'I am not getting up to deal with that.' I said, 'It's okay, I will sleep on the couch next to him and comfort him in the night like a baby.' I have been watching lots of training videos and the techniques seem simple. It is a matter of the puppy getting what it wants (treats) through behavior training. It all seems pretty logical.
How exciting for you! My husband doesn't want a dog around anymore. We have a cat. I was raised with dogs: German Shepherds, fox terriers, Scotties, and Heinz 57s.

What color are the parents? Are they large, medium, or small-sized? Rooster, if you put a warm hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and a ticking clock in the cage with the puppy, that usually quiets them down for the night. Would love to see pictures of the little fellow when you get it. What name do you have picked out? Does it have anything to do with John Wayne?

I can identify.  My wife doesn't like Chickens or Dogs.  She was raised on 20 plus acres with nothing but a cat, which I think is sad.  So, she is a cat person.  Maybe because they are low maintenance.  I, on the other hand, love birds and dogs.  Now, that I am retired I have a down payment on the GSD litter not that far from me.  I received all kinds of stern warnings, how she doesn't like dogs, won't have anything to do with the dog, and on and on.  Fine with me.  A large German Shepherd that loves only me is okay with me.  I have already picked out his name.  I told my wife, when he gets crate trained as a little tyke he will probably whine and cry at night at first.  My wife, said, 'I am not getting up to deal with that.'  I said, 'It's okay, I will sleep on the couch next to him and comfort him in the night like a baby.'  I have been watching lots of training videos and the techniques seem simple.  It is a matter of the puppy getting what it wants (treats) through behavior training.  It all seems pretty logical. 

You might get lucky! Our first gsd hated his crate but our current boy has loved his since day one!

Just dont put soft bedding in there. I bought our guy this incredibly soft puppy bed that became a nice thick layer of snow by morning :-/ I love GSDs!

Yeah, they like to tear things up on instinct and to teathe. So, I will have to get him something to chew on all his own and watch him to keep chewing other objects to a minimum.

Both parents are short haired with the classic saddle and face, and are both imports from Slovakia. They have a really good pedigree and are AKC registered. Total for the pup is 1,250 with hip guarantee. Another grand for breeding rights. I already saved up the cash selling guns I can no longer shoot or need. Selling off another rifle, and I will be about 400.00 short of the breeding rights, which I would like to have so I can stud him after his OFA test.

Good. They should be hatched by Tuesday, the rocker is turned off, and the dividers taken out. I may have to restart listing my Blue Americanas, they have been giving me two eggs a day. I am thinking about throwing them in the next hatch to see if I can get some more hens. I hate ending up with male Roosters in the Americanas, because their rib cages are narrow to get the insides out on a butcher. I prefer extra French Black Copper Maran Roos. Their ribcages provide me more room to remove the their internals.

Ooooo! If you decide to sell some Blue Ameraucanas I would love to take a couple off your hands!!!! :D

If the three remaining hens I have left keep pushing out eggs, I will re-list the hatching eggs again. I am hatching 8 of their eggs hoping for girls. I would like to have a few more of the laying hens, so I can also put them in pre-order hatches of chicks as well. I thought they had stopped laying on me. I switched their coops and they seem to like the new space and have been dropping me an average of 3 eggs every other day.

I
Around here, anyone that's about two hours away is close!
1f923.png

Hi there from Abilene!

Before I butcher/eat my Tom Turkey - does anyone want a Tom turkey who's adorable, and loves women? He's anti boy-children unless they carry a stick with them... He loves girls though, including girls of all ages and species... the sexist Tom. (He does play well with goats, dogs and cats. Roosters however piss him off.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom