Texas

I had my husband pull him out and sadly I should have done something for him sooner so my sweet husband buried him for me. The rest appear to be doing well but i will definitely keep a closer eye on them.
sad.png
Awwwww... :(

Oh man! you definatly got some projects ahead of you! Red dorkings, i udnno if ive even seen a pic of those yet....guess that gives me something to look up while im at work!
caf.gif

Red dorkings are my passion.
smile.png

American Red Dorkings:

British Red Dorkings:

Hard time finding the rooster - I have a photo of one at home.

Anyway - the British are much more russet/maroon red where the American are more brassy. Comes from some of the older stock being crossed with American wild game birds, I'm thinking. Not positive, though. But, there are definite variations between the American and British versions of the birds.

Quote:
Lol.. luckily Kilsharion and I are working on the same Dorking projects.. so we will be swapping out birds here and there as we need to to improve the birds and work on the bloodlines.
The Bresse and Euskal Oiloa are mine (though she is TRYING to resist ....
gig.gif
).. i have been called an enabler several times recently...
hide.gif

Con
Quote:
So do I.. right now I have eggs stacked on top of emu eggs because those lovely felines decided to kill one of my old reliable bators...
Tracking says it will be here tomorrow... so
fl.gif

Quote:
We'll get there!!! I have faith in our breeding programs (am i enabling again???
hide.gif
)

Red dorkings are my passion.
smile.png

American Red Dorkings:

British Red Dorkings:

Hard time finding the rooster - I have a photo of one at home.

Anyway - the British are much more russet/maroon red where the American are more brassy. Comes from some of the older stock being crossed with American wild game birds, I'm thinking. Not positive, though. But, there are definite variations between the American and British versions of the birds.

what type of comb is that?!?!? it loos cool!
and ever since sis in law did research in family history and found out that they are desendents of the great Julius Cesar! and aperently he had dorkings and she wants some to see what her ancestors saw in them? im just gettin hungry! lol the kids hate it when i say that about chickens! lol

what type of comb is that?!?!? it loos cool!
and ever since sis in law did research in family history and found out that they are desendents of the great Julius Cesar! and aperently he had dorkings and she wants some to see what her ancestors saw in them? im just gettin hungry! lol the kids hate it when i say that about chickens! lol

It's a single, serrated comb. The rooster's stands straight, the hens falls over past the first serration. They have five toes and the roosters should get up to roughly 14 pounds. Now days, though, you're lucky to find one that hits 10 pounds. The hens should be about 10 pounds; but, most now days hit about 7-8. They are stocky fellas with short legs and rectangular like bodies. Very stately in their walk and comportment and very, very, very friendly/docile. Their crows are mellow, too. Very rich sounding without the grating sound a lot of other roosters have. You can find all sorts of videos of them on Youtube.

The Dorkings of today are a shamefully pitiful version of the past. Hoping to help fix that along with Yinepu. We have a lot of work ahead of us....and, enabler that she is, I'll probably wind up with EOs and Bresse, as well.
lau.gif

The real limitation I have is my space at my property. To have every line of Red Dorking there is will take up significant space at my place - so it helps to keep me focussed...at least, that's what I'm claiming. Somehow, I get a feeling my little two acre homestead is going to wind up with a dimensional fold that is on par with that of the TARDIS.

SO it is been an agonizingly slow day at work...and naturally its been a slow day on this thread as well...i think i have literally read every thread on the forums that i havve even the slightest inkinling of interest in. even found myself browing through the turkey and geese threads and have no plan for either of those in my near future...Cmon 6 o clock!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom