Texas

there is a thread called "hatch day is today" or better yet a lady with the handle " Miss Lydia" she's the duck lady

baby ducks don't have the oil on their feathers to keep them a float for very long...so they will drown...Mama duck takes them for short dips is all..

Thanks! I will look for her! The water wasn't very deep and the could touch the bottom. It is too chilly for them outside right now so I have them inside with a heat lamp on them. They are just cheeping all day!

You sound like me. I love to bake but I don't eat them. My husband does! heheehee I have a young man at church who will come over with his 'dying calf in a hail storm' look and I know he is wanting some kind of goodies!

Lisa :)
I always ask my little bro and sis (even though they are 18 and 15 years old, respectively) if they want anything to take to school because once I start baking, I don't want to stop. I always let them know that if I'm making cinnamon sugar cookies or cherry-cranberry brownies or anything else that they need to let me know so I can make more for them to take. Of course, my bro doesn't like to admit that he wants to take things. Apparently, it's not cool for guys to take their friends baked goods, haha!

But gosh darnit, I'm feeling sick right now and really want to bake something deliciously savory. I wish I had all the ingredients I need for meatloaf. Oh, or potato/bacon/leek soup! I want that, too!

I need to stop thinking about delicious food. I'm on a diet!
hit.gif

I LOVE cooking with cranberries! Can I please have the recipe for the cherry-cranberry brownies? Moderation is the key (and exercise). Just don't get sick--terrible way to lose weight! I lost over 20 lbs. last year because I was sick. UGH!

Thanks! I will look for her! The water wasn't very deep and the could touch the bottom. It is too chilly for them outside right now so I have them inside with a heat lamp on them. They are just cheeping all day!
Those ducks look to be less than two weeks old. They grow crazy fast. They do not need a swimming hole just yet. But, they do need a large water bowl to be able to get their whole head wet in for their health. They are messy little buggers, so be prepared for water mess. And they love to get mouth fulls of food and drop into water. That's good times for ducks. So, it helps to put the water farther away from the food.

I am not sure what kind they are but they sure are cute!

Those ducks look to be less than two weeks old. They grow crazy fast. They do not need a swimming hole just yet. But, they do need a large water bowl to be able to get their whole head wet in for their health. They are messy little buggers, so be prepared for water mess. And they love to get mouth fulls of food and drop into water. That's good times for ducks. So, it helps to put the water farther away from the food.

I am not sure what kind they are but they sure are cute!

I just got a message from "miss Lydia" and she told me they were muscovys and probably about 2-3 weeks old. They are so sweet!! Just sitting on my lap hanging out in the beautiful weather we are having right now!!!

I LOVE cooking with cranberries! Can I please have the recipe for the cherry-cranberry brownies? Moderation is the key (and exercise). Just don't get sick--terrible way to lose weight! I lost over 20 lbs. last year because I was sick. UGH!

Fudgy Brownies (without cranberries & cherries)

Yield: Makes 16 brownies

Note: This recipe doubles wonderfully for a 9X13-inch pan. Just keep an eye on the baking time and adjust accordingly.
Ingredients

• 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks or 5 ounces) butter
  • 1 1/4 cups (9 7/8 ounces) sugar
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 7/8 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder (watch out for this one, I've found that certain types of cocoa powder are just too strong. I'd recommend adding cocoa powder to taste. Start out with less and add more as you need it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup (2 3/8 ounces) all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan and flour with a light dusting of cocoa powder. Set aside.
  2. Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium microwave-wafe bowl. Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside until it cools slightly (is warm to the touch not hot). It will look gritty but it will become smooth once the other ingredients are added.
  3. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.
  4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack. After the brownies are cooled completely, cut into squares and serve.
This is just a recipe I've been using for awhile. Sometimes, I'll try other recipes (like whichever ones are on the cocoa powder container, just depending on whether I have all the ingredients). I just happen to really like this one.

So now we mix it up!

Normally, I'll get dried cherries and cranberries, just because they are available more often. Then, I let them simmer in a sweet mixture of cranberry, orange, and lemon juice. The cranberry juice gives the dried fruit a bit more tartness that may have been lost in the dehydration process. The orange and lemon juice gives a freshness that may be needed, considering the fudgy goodness of the brownies. It creates a very good contrast. If you'd prefer, you can just use either orange or lemon juice. Sometimes, I only use lemon and cranberry juice because I prefer the tartness.

Simmer the dried fruit for 5 to 10 minutes in the following:

-1 cup of cranberry juice
-the juice of one lemon
-the juice of one orange

The amount of cherries and cranberries you use is dependent on your preference. I use about 1/2 cup of each. After simmering, remove from the heat and strain them until they are devoid of excess liquid. Leaving too much liquid on your fruit can lead to mushy brownies (which is kinda gross, texture-wise).

For special occasions (or when you're entertaining adults rather than children, as I normally do), you can instead simmer the dried fruit in the alcohol of your choice. I've used red wine, but I've heard that brandy or rum would be just as delicious. I'm thinking of making some of these brownies with a good brandy come Christmas time. Children can eat them, technically, because you can cook out the alcohol while still maintaining that very adult flavor...though I'd just make the kids their own, so I can enjoy the good ones, hehehe!
wink.png

Last edited:
Fudgy Brownies (without cranberries & cherries)

Yield: Makes 16 brownies
Note: This recipe doubles wonderfully for a 9X13-inch pan. Just keep an eye on the baking time and adjust accordingly.
Ingredients

• 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks or 5 ounces) butter
  • 1 1/4 cups (9 7/8 ounces) sugar
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 7/8 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder (watch out for this one, I've found that certain types of cocoa powder are just too strong. I'd recommend adding cocoa powder to taste. Start out with less and add more as you need it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup (2 3/8 ounces) all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan and flour with a light dusting of cocoa powder. Set aside.
  2. Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium microwave-wafe bowl. Microwave for one minute intervals, stirring in between, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside until it cools slightly (is warm to the touch not hot). It will look gritty but it will become smooth once the other ingredients are added.
  3. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.
  4. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack. After the brownies are cooled completely, cut into squares and serve.
This is just a recipe I've been using for awhile. Sometimes, I'll try other recipes (like whichever ones are on the cocoa powder container, just depending on whether I have all the ingredients). I just happen to really like this one.

So now we mix it up!

Normally, I'll get dried cherries and cranberries, just because they are available more often. Then, I let them simmer in a sweet mixture of cranberry, orange, and lemon juice. The cranberry juice gives the dried fruit a bit more tartness that may have been lost in the dehydration process. The orange and lemon juice gives a freshness that may be needed, considering the fudgy goodness of the brownies. It creates a very good contrast. If you'd prefer, you can just use either orange or lemon juice. Sometimes, I only use lemon and cranberry juice because I prefer the tartness.

For special occasions (or when you're entertaining adults rather than children, as I normally do), you can instead simmer the dried fruit in the alcohol of your choice. I've used red wine, but I've heard that brandy or rum would be just as delicious. I'm thinking of making some of these brownies with a good brandy come Christmas time. Children can eat them, technically, because you can cook out the alcohol while still maintaining that very adult flavor...though I'd just make the kids their own, so I can enjoy the good ones, hehehe!
wink.png

Unless you tell me otherwise, I plan on using Hershey Cocoa. You left out the measurements for the juices and how long do you let them simmer? When I cook with the dried fruit, I just throw them into the batter. Your way sounds better!

Back
Top Bottom