Texas

Unless you tell me otherwise, I plan on using Hershey Cocoa. You left out the measurements for the juices and how long do you let them simmer? When I cook with the dried fruit, I just throw them into the batter. Your way sounds better!

Lisa :)

Hershey's is fine. I generally just use whatever I have available, whether it's Nestle or Hershey's. I generally just use about a cup of cranberry juice and whatever I can squeeze out of a lemon or an orange. When simmering, you just want to watch the fruit until it plumps up a bit, about 5 minutes of simmering. For a more intense flavor within the berries, I'd let them simmer for about 10 minutes. Then, I'll remove the fruit from the simmering juice and let it sit in a strainer, just to get rid of all the extra liquid. Whatever is in the berries is fine, but you don't want your brownies to be squishy.

I'll edit the original post so it contains this information. I kinda forget that I'm the only one I know who does this, haha!

Last edited:
Just be sure not to feed your ducklings any medicated chick feed. Ducks grow so much faster than chickens they eat more of it, and it literally poisons them. Otherwise, just make sure they have plenty of water. But I never worry about letting my ducklings take a bath till they get their first feathers. After that, they love to bathe every day. They just need to have some water deep enough to get their whole beak and their eyes under, so they can clear their nostrils and their eyes. Don't put out a deep bucket when they are young, as they might climb in it and not be able to get out, and drown.

I raise only ducks, no chickens, so rarely have anybody to talk with on here. I just like reading it! I recently moved and had to sell my two Giant Dewlap Toulouse ganders. I miss my to boys, Atticus and Finch!

Gainesville, tx is where I made home. I have 15 hens and two roosters currently and I'm lokjng to expand the flock. I have already made extensions to the coop and run and am excited to continue my little farm. I also raise rabbits and am considering starting back into goats. And since I cannot seem to stop rescuing animals Im aquiring a herd of dogs ;)

Well my flock is going to be largely on thier own this winter. I have to have surgery on my rt foot in Nov. I've put it off as long as I could, now that things are slower at work, it's time. About half of the flock is free ranging now anyway, so I'll just open the gates on everything. I have a huge feeder that will hold at least 5 bags of feed and we have the water system hooked to a 55 gallon drum. I will keep the turkeys penned since they will eat themselves to death (not literally, I don 't think) and drive the chickens away from the feeder. I'm thinking I'll need to cull about half of the roos if I expect any of the valley to get any sleep too.
I will be in a Rocker boot and on crutches for at least 6 wks, then they will take a look at how it's healing and wean me off the crutches. This so sucks.
At least we don't have any real predator problems (at least right now). The dogs should keep that under control.

Well my flock is going to be largely on thier own this winter. I have to have surgery on my rt foot in Nov. I've put it off as long as I could, now that things are slower at work, it's time. About half of the flock is free ranging now anyway, so I'll just open the gates on everything. I have a huge feeder that will hold at least 5 bags of feed and we have the water system hooked to a 55 gallon drum. I will keep the turkeys penned since they will eat themselves to death (not literally, I don 't think) and drive the chickens away from the feeder. I'm thinking I'll need to cull about half of the roos if I expect any of the valley to get any sleep too.
I will be in a Rocker boot and on crutches for at least 6 wks, then they will take a look at how it's healing and wean me off the crutches. This so sucks.
At least we don't have any real predator problems (at least right now). The dogs should keep that under control.
oh best wishes....take good care

I love the crow of roosters

Gainesville, tx is where I made home. I have 15 hens and two roosters currently and I'm lokjng to expand the flock. I have already made extensions to the coop and run and am excited to continue my little farm. I also raise rabbits and am considering starting back into goats. And since I cannot seem to stop rescuing animals Im aquiring a herd of dogs
wink.png
frow.gif
Welcome to the Texas forum!! That was a dangerous statement to make 'I'm looking to expand the flock'. There are people on here that will gladly enable you.
wink.png

What are they doing to your foot? You will be in my prayers!!
hugs.gif

Lisa :)

Gainesville, tx is where I made home. I have 15 hens and two roosters currently and I'm lokjng to expand the flock. I have already made extensions to the coop and run and am excited to continue my little farm. I also raise rabbits and am considering starting back into goats. And since I cannot seem to stop rescuing animals Im aquiring a herd of dogs ;)

Welcome! I had to Google Gainesville. You are UP there! :)

Do you focus on eggs or birds? I tend to focus on egg color but I like a correct looking bird, too.

I had one rabbit for about 7 or 8 years, he was a Jersey Wooly and I still have some of his wool. He was so sweet. Do you raise meat rabbits? I thought about getting some just to produce fertilizer for the garden.

What kind of goats? I've been looking into getting mini-nubians in a few years.

Poor thing! It sounds like you have a good set-up...you've made me think of doing something similar but attached to the new coop. ...whenever I get the new coop. :/

Back
Top Bottom