Texas

If you are in the San Antonio area, be careful driving in today. My husband just called to say he drove over black ice, slush and snow drifts. At one point, he had to wait for salt trucks. He said he thought he was back in Canada.

I just received my 2014 Ameraucana Breeders Club 2014 Handbook. I wanted to share some information from an article ("Should I Vaccinate For Laryngotracheitis) written by Paul Smith, an Ameraucana breeder from Gainseville, Texas, and also the ABC Director for this region.

In 2003, he attended a fall show where someone exhibited birds recently vaccinated with a live-virus vaccine for the disease. They shed the virus and his birds became infected.

In the state of Texas, the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) will order the destruction of an entire flock of birds if one has the disease. A few months later, the TAHC ordered the destruction of his entire flock. He slaughtered 158 of them and the TAHC gassed the other 48, all at his expense. Included in this mass killing were three Best of Breeds, one Reserve Best of Breed, many Best of Variety from the previous four Americauna National shows.

He had to start from scratch with eggs that had been disinfected.

If anyone is showing birds, he recommends vaccinating and specifically with the vaccine that doesn't shed. The old style "hot" vaccine (CEO--Chick Embryo Origin) will shed the virus. The newer LT-I-VAX does not shed the virus according to the manufacturer. He closes the article by reminding everyone that there will be birds at the show that are un-vaccinated or vaccinated with the CEO vaccine. He laments that if he had vaccinated his flock, he wouldn't have lost his entire flock of prize-winning birds.

When I wrote to him about vaccinating my birds (he is their breeder), he wrote back that the manufacturer of the vaccine has changed ownership and there is a merger thrown in there to boot, so the vaccine is often hard to come by. I bought the last four vials of the vaccine from the supplier that was recommended to me.

Greetings fellow Texans. I live close to Stephenville, west of Ft Worth. Temp says 21 right now and is supposed to get down to around 15 tonight. I'm just chillin with my 10 chicks inside (RIR & BR's). I'll probably get more next month lol. Anyways, hope everyone is staying warm!
frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg, TX!!

Lisa :)

I just received my 2014 Ameraucana Breeders Club 2014 Handbook. I wanted to share some information from an article ("Should I Vaccinate For Laryngotracheitis) written by Paul Smith, an Ameraucana breeder from Gainseville, Texas, and also the ABC Director for this region.

In 2003, he attended a fall show where someone exhibited birds recently vaccinated with a live-virus vaccine for the disease. They shed the virus and his birds became infected.

In the state of Texas, the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) will order the destruction of an entire flock of birds if one has the disease. A few months later, the TAHC ordered the destruction of his entire flock. He slaughtered 158 of them and the TAHC gassed the other 48, all at his expense. Included in this mass killing were three Best of Breeds, one Reserve Best of Breed, many Best of Variety from the previous four Americauna National shows.

He had to start from scratch with eggs that had been disinfected.

If anyone is showing birds, he recommends vaccinating and specifically with the vaccine that doesn't shed. The old style "hot" vaccine (CEO--Chick Embryo Origin) will shed the virus. The newer LT-I-VAX does not shed the virus according to the manufacturer. He closes the article by reminding everyone that there will be birds at the show that are un-vaccinated or vaccinated with the CEO vaccine. He laments that if he had vaccinated his flock, he wouldn't have lost his entire flock of prize-winning birds.

When I wrote to him about vaccinating my birds (he is their breeder), he wrote back that the manufacturer of the vaccine has changed ownership and there is a merger thrown in there to boot, so the vaccine is often hard to come by. I bought the last four vials of the vaccine from the supplier that was recommended to me.
Great info Janet. Thanks! I am wanting to start showing next year. I am getting state tested next week. This is one of the things I worry about.

I drove from Pflugerville to San Marcos. At Creedmore, I started seeing lots of ice at the edge of the highway but ok so far, Then at Kyle to San Marcos, snow, sleet is on the road. I heard that a portion of I-35 is closed at New Braunfel.

It's hot chocolate time

Great info Janet. Thanks! I am wanting to start showing next year. I am getting state tested next week. This is one of the things I worry about.

I was supposed to be tested today, but the weather is just too cold. He's coming Thursday next week. Maybe we'll be tested the same day.

Other states don't cull they way they do in Texas--they just put the farm under quarantine and don't let any chickens on or off the property without approval. They allow you to send birds to slaughter, but dictate the timing and even the route the trucks can go. Texas just kills every single bird on your property.

I'm going to offer my unused vaccine to my neighbor. It is good for a very short time after mixing--an hour, maybe two? Not sure--I'll know when I read the label. If my neighbor doesn't want to vaccinate her flock, I will be happy to give my left over vaccine to anyone who can get it from my house to their chickens' nostrils within the time frame. I'm a few miles south west of Hwy 281 and Hwy 46, north of San Antonio. Maybe it can be split three or four ways. I think there is enough vaccine for 1000 doses. They need two vaccination something like six weeks apart. I'll also be vaccinating my new birds in the summer after all chicks are hatched and old enough.

Back
Top Bottom