Texas

I am currently bummed out. I've been so excited about raising chickens since I retired and moved in December. Our coop is on the back side of our shed that we built for our washer/dryer and freezer since we live in an RV. But we ran out of funds before doing the coop side, so I had to wait. March is when we budgeted to be able to finish. So I ordered 18 pullets to be delivered April 14. Now I find out my husbands grand kid is having his first T-Ball game April 14, so we won't be home for delivery. Next available date - May 18! I can't even go get any at TSC because we will be gone 4 days. April 15 is still before Easter. Will feed stores still have good chicks then?

If they don't, lots of us on the thread have active incubators. I will have chicks all year long :)

Hi fellow texans, time change is in effect and its time to get going again.

Really wanting to recoup my coop with some hatching eggs...ken, lisa, sarge...anyone else in the houston area...got anything going?

Lol, speaking of more chickens.... I'm thinking of getting more eggs. I probably shouldn't!
BUT I'm thinking of stringing up our weenie dog. I don't know how she got down off our porch, its a 4-5 foot drop, but she did. As I was cooking, I noticed her in the coop area, I ran out, knife and dishtowel in hand. 1 dead chick, 1 dead keet and one hurt keet who later died. She is banned from being outside without a leash. If she didn't belong to my daughter, I think a new home would be found, I'm just so frustrated with her. As bad as it is to lose them to wild animals or neighbors dogs, its worse when its your own dog.

Lol, speaking of more chickens.... I'm thinking of getting more eggs. I probably shouldn't!
BUT I'm thinking of stringing up our weenie dog. I don't know how she got down off our porch, its a 4-5 foot drop, but she did. As I was cooking, I noticed her in the coop area, I ran out, knife and dishtowel in hand. 1 dead chick, 1 dead keet and one hurt keet who later died. She is banned from being outside without a leash. If she didn't belong to my daughter, I think a new home would be found, I'm just so frustrated with her. As bad as it is to lose them to wild animals or neighbors dogs, its worse when its your own dog.
That is so sad. :(

I'm going to have to talk with my neighbours when I get my chicks about them not letting their dog out if my hens are free ranging (will only do supervised free range). I know their dog will kill a hen if she gets over the fence. Touchy subject. They know she will kill anything in her yard though. She's killed 11 squirrels in 6 or 7 years. Maybe I should just put up some netting so they can't make it over the fence.....

Back
Top Bottom