Texas

I have a approximately 7 X 14 barn looking storage building. It has no windows and is wood construction with metal siding. It is raised off the ground by about 1 foot. How many windows would be needed for 100 degree summers? I was thinking 4, 2 on 1 side, 1 on the back. I would want the nest boxes closer to the door I think. I would also need to add a chicken door, and can it have steps instead of a ramp? I can easily move the roosts, from their current coop to the very back end of the building and install them. I would fence and bury flat bricks around the parameter of the building. I also have a ton of leftover old cheap tile that i can put down, both to protect chicken feet from splinters and for easy cleaning.

Any other suggestions for converting this storage building into a chicken coop? Doing this so the geese and chickens can have separate housing without having to make my kids lose their swimming pool or trampoline. Plus I think this route is cheaper than building from scratch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Windows would be good; the more the better! With our Texas heat in a metal bldg it can get quite warm. The most important thing you can do is add ventilation up at eave level to allow heat, moisture and ammonia out. And I mean lots of ventilation. The rule is 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken. I am bldg. a 10X25 open air coop and the top ten inches will be open hardware cloth all the way around. I am using tarps like flaps to keep driving rain out but let as much airflow in the summer and dropped down as needed in the winter.

I can't help you on using tile. Don't know how that would do.

Metal bldgs hold a lot of heat even at night.

Hope that helped!

David

Windows would be good; the more the better! With our Texas heat in a metal bldg it can get quite warm. The most important thing you can do is add ventilation up at eave level to allow heat, moisture and ammonia out. And I mean lots of ventilation. The rule is 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken. I am bldg. a 10X25 open air coop and the top ten inches will be open hardware cloth all the way around. I am using tarps like flaps to keep driving rain out but let as much airflow in the summer and dropped down as needed in the winter.

I can't help you on using tile. Don't know how that would do.

Metal bldgs hold a lot of heat even at night.

Hope that helped!

David

The roof overhangs a bit so cutting ventilation shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I can cut them out, frame the cut part and during winter I can close some for warmth, and leave others open for airflow.

She's used to it Lisa!! I like to Greet at Church as I get hugs from all the Ladies!!
wink.png

David

Hey, I do the same thing but I get hugs from the guys!!

Lisa :)

They actually have 8 nest boxes, in case i don't catch a broody right away, and so I can section her box off from the rest of the flock.

yeah, i was shocked too. But was told that they don't trap outside the city limits. We have to trap and hold the dog/cat until they can arrive for pick up and they charge a fee for pick up. i thought it was their jobs to pick up loose strays, but guess not. I actually have 6 dogs, but the other 4 are Siberian Huskies and i keep them well hidden in the back yard. People would steal them in a second. I actually caught someone trying to take my girl Dawn out of the front yard!

Trap them and drop them off at animal controls front door

They actually have 8 nest boxes, in case i don't catch a broody right away, and so I can section her box off from the rest of the flock.

yeah, i was shocked too. But was told that they don't trap outside the city limits. We have to trap and hold the dog/cat until they can arrive for pick up and they charge a fee for pick up. i thought it was their jobs to pick up loose strays, but guess not. I actually have 6 dogs, but the other 4 are Siberian Huskies and i keep them well hidden in the back yard. People would steal them in a second. I actually caught someone trying to take my girl Dawn out of the front yard!

What is it w/ people?! Some1 stole my neighbors Shitzu out of their front yard while they were watering the side of the house (is a larger front yard). I have 4 dogs & 2 are EBs & we hide them also. I guess it's bc u r out of city limits, but what about Game Wardens County/State Police?

Back
Top Bottom