Texas

Good day folks....Got up this morning to chick number 6...another red one. The coolest thing though is we have the last egg hatching even as i post this. DH is beside himself. Just fasinated watching it. He is protecting it from the other curious chicks that want to peck at the hole. Update later...back to work

It has been awhile since I posted to this thread but thought y'all might want to know that Conroe Animal Tradin' Day is May 4.  It always starts around 8 am and the best shopping is found before noon. At the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Conroe.

I will be there with some Californian rabbits. (Unless they all sell this week and that is most likely not going to happen)
You think there will be any modern game bantams for sale? I live in houston

Anyone know how good of a mother a jersey giant is? I am quite curious x3 She was off the nest today when I got home getting some nibbles but then she quickly returned to the nest and has been clucking abnormally the entire time, like she is talking to her eggs. She had two more eggs under her today, my other two hens must have been sneaky and laid while she was out haha, I made them a temp nest across from hers. My birds are nesting on the floor till I can make them boxes. They seem to like it though, after all chickens are ground nesting birds. I need to make a ramp for when the chicks hatch, but I guess I have 25-26 days to make a ramp for them. I just have a cinder block step for my ladies. It is funny, I would have figured that my buff brahma or arucana would become broody before my jersey ever would. =)

I don't know if JG's are good mamas...I've used Australorps with great success but my young Black Copper was terrible. The current EE seems to be good so far. A LOT just depends on the birds personality. How old is the JG?

Be VERY weary of letting your hen brood where the other hens have access to her and of letting her hatch on the ground. In my experience the other hens will not only lay in her nest but they can also crack the hatching eggs.

I just had a hatch in our hoop coop and while we ended up with five chicks, the sixth chick was attacked by fire ants while trying to hatch and the broody abandoned the nest and the remaining eggs.

Start counting 21 days from the day you set the eggs under her...that is your hatch date. The babies will be running around like old pros one day after they rest from hatching.

@TammyTX

Do you sell olive egger or EE chicks?

I sell hatching eggs, but since I haven't actually had any of my own hatches lay eggs yet I can't tell you 100% that they will produce Olivers. There will be some that lay brown eggs, too.

Do you live near Elgin?? You can PM me for privacy.

I don't know if JG's are good mamas...I've used Australorps with great success but my young Black Copper was terrible. The current EE seems to be good so far. A LOT just depends on the birds personality. How old is the JG?

Be VERY weary of letting your hen brood where the other hens have access to her and of letting her hatch on the ground. In my experience the other hens will not only lay in her nest but they can also crack the hatching eggs.

I just had a hatch in our hoop coop and while we ended up with five chicks, the sixth chick was attacked by fire ants while trying to hatch and the broody abandoned the nest and the remaining eggs.

Start counting 21 days from the day you set the eggs under her...that is your hatch date. The babies will be running around like old pros one day after they rest from hatching.
Gosh... She is less than a year old I believe.... probably about 10 months to a year. I just freed teh other corner of my coop up for my two other girls. I hate to try and move my jersey in case she no longer wants to sit... I ordered the eggs already... then again i could just pay for an incubation service or pull my own incubator out and hope for the best. =/ Today was the first day my other hens have laid since Yumyum became broody, which has been four days now. I hope to deter them... I might try to put an empty egg in the other nest to try and get them to lay over there instead.

We have a new addition to the ranch 2 weeks ago. Markie is a Red Bone coon hound, about 2.5 moths, a free gift from a friend. He walks around without disturbing the baby chicks. PS: Markie is tired of standing on the 2 back legs. How do I turn the pix around ???
I'm in love!! It's a good thing I don't know where you live or I would snatch that pup up!!!!

Gosh... She is less than a year old I believe.... probably about 10 months to a year. I just freed teh other corner of my coop up for my two other girls. I hate to try and move my jersey in case she no longer wants to sit... I ordered the eggs already... then again i could just pay for an incubation service or pull my own incubator out and hope for the best. =/ Today was the first day my other hens have laid since Yumyum became broody, which has been four days now. I hope to deter them... I might try to put an empty egg in the other nest to try and get them to lay over there instead.

I used a medium sized dog carrier as a broody nest for my Australorp. If you look on CL or at thrift stores you can usually find them at a discount price.

What I did was kept my (already broody) Australorp in the carrier inside the coop and made a nest inside the carrier with wood shavings. After a few hours I put eggs under her and she immediately pulled them in under her body. About every other day I let her out, if she wanted to go, to eat, drink and poop. It was February so it wasn't hot. Broodies usually don't get off of the nest everyday...just when they absolutely have to. After the chicks began to hatch I moved the hen, still locked in the carrier to the shed where she hatched the rest of the babies.

We were lucky enough to have a new unused shed at the time that made it easy to keep warm (It was February).

Back
Top Bottom