Texas

Goldie (in back) & Olive (in front)...two of my Easter Eggers. Goldie is squatting for me, but Olive is not. No eggs from them...yet.
tongue.png

Shed, my third Easter Egger. She's squatting too, but still no eggs...yet.
tongue.png

those birds are lovely what breed are they?

I am looking to move to the Hill Country. Is there a way to find out where one can have chickens, ducks and a pot-bellied pig? I seem to find a lot of subdivisions that don't allow them. A realtor in Austin told me parts of the city allow for barn animals. I guess that I should call town hall. Any more suggestions?

Much appreciated.

claudia

that sucks you would think with the billions of dollars going into the medical industry that we would have come up with a better methods for experimentation. But that is the dilemma for the pool i really am the only one who swims in it but i want a filtration system that will take out the duck poo etc and still keep the water clean i know it's a tall order but it would be so cool if it works:fl

That would be awesome. If you figure out a system that works, let me know!

I am looking to move to the Hill Country. Is there a way to find out where one can have chickens, ducks and a pot-bellied pig? I seem to find a lot of subdivisions that don't allow them. A realtor in Austin told me parts of the city allow for barn animals. I guess that I should call town hall. Any more suggestions?

Much appreciated.

claudia
welcome-byc.gif
from Round Rock!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/3/Laws/tag/texas-ordinances/

This could give you more info on areas in/around Austin that allow for barn animals.

I just had 2 black bellied whistling ducks land in my yard an hour ago. (I had to look up what kind of wild duck they were lol). All my chickens, ducks, and geese had to run over and see the strangers. When the ducks took off, my entire flock cocked their heads and watched. I could almost see them wishing they could take off too. So glad domestic ducks, and geese are too heavy to fly, or I'd have lost mine tonight, lol. Still, the kids and I enjoyed their short visit. Has me wondering where they came from though, and if they will visit again. There is a river within walking distance, and a lake about 20 minutes drive from my house. Anyone else get visited by wild ducks or geese? We never have before, I am guessing the wild ones saw gang and came to see where all the good food was at, lol. Then probably got overwhelmed by my flock and seeing my kids and I watching them from the front porch.

Much appreciated.

claudia

Looking for houses in subdivisions is the problem. Even if the city ordinances allow things, many Home Owner Associations (HOAs) will not allow the animals. Austin really isn't "the Hill Country". Smaller towns that are NOT on the Interstate 35 corridor will probably be easier to find something in, as will looking outside city limits. It was pretty expensive to live even around the Austin area when we lived in a small town southeast of Austin about 15 years ago. Probably worse now. You can't get a lot of house for the money down there unless you're willing to live in the country, and sometimes even then you may have to change your expectations for what you can afford. I would suggest looking for a realtor in the country that is willing to listen to your needs.

I just had 2 black bellied whistling ducks land in my yard an hour ago. (I had to look up what kind of wild duck they were lol). All my chickens, ducks, and geese had to run over and see the strangers. When the ducks took off, my entire flock cocked their heads and watched. I could almost see them wishing they could take off too. So glad domestic ducks, and geese are too heavy to fly, or I'd have lost mine tonight, lol. Still, the kids and I enjoyed their short visit. Has me wondering where they came from though, and if they will visit again. There is a river within walking distance, and a lake about 20 minutes drive from my house. Anyone else get visited by wild ducks or geese? We never have before, I am guessing the wild ones saw gang and came to see where all the good food was at, lol. Then probably got overwhelmed by my flock and seeing my kids and I watching them from the front porch.

There is a pond and creek about a block from our place...we get wild ducks fly over and quack at The Ladies, but no one has stopped by for a visit.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom