Texas

My husband LOVES colored eggs. He did some research & decided he would love to have some Olive-Eggers & Copper Marans to add to our flock. Anyone, in the Austin area, have either of those up for grabs? CHICKEN MATH!
big_smile.png

Im worried now...does the discoloration near her beak, on her comb, look like the beginnings of fowl pox? If I need to quarantine her I want to do it asap...

If it is fowl pox, it is an extremely light case. Don't know if it helps to quarantine, they get it from mosquitoes from what I understand. When my flock had it the chicken vet said to keep their areas clean, fresh water and treats like tomatoes for the vitamins.

Last edited:
If it is fowl pox, it is an extremely light case. Don't know if it helps to quarantine, they get it from mosquitoes from what I understand. When my flock had it the chicken vet said to keep their areas clean, fresh water and treats like tomatoes for the vitamins.
Ooh, we have plenty of tomatoes!
They've been sharing a tomato for a treat about once every 4 days.
If I have to quarantine her, it'd have to be inside (because of those mosquitoes), which is why I was trying to find out asap, but no one thinks that's the case, which I'm grateful for!

I think if it was pox, it would have spread or gotten worse. Her vent is clear and no one else has anything so..I guess we're good!

These babies are so cute! Where did you learn about gender determination behavior? I'd like to know more. We watch our chicks as they grow and try to figure out what they will be by appearance and how they act. Have not been right every time for sure....but learning and getting better.
the gender determination behave your idea has bee passed down through my family. we flip them on their backs and supposedly if it kicks and gets annoyed then porabably a male f it just lies there then it may be a female, this hasn't always been right especially with flightly or skiddish birds or breeds I also add that with how they stand as they age, taller with chest out usually a male and kinda slouched is usually female, hope it works as well for you as its worked for me!

I started out trying to get $5/dozen for my duck eggs, but people up here in Deep East Texas just wouldn't pay it. I am getting $4/dozen now. When I get too many I take them to the farmer's market on the town square in Center, TX on Saturday mornings and just park the car there and put my sign out. I have met some great people there. Once I get some regular customers I may be able to raise the price. They were laying a dozen a day this spring, but with the heat and molting I am only getting about four eggs per day right now. So, I am not as desperate to get rid of them as I was. Sadly, I can eat them in baked goods, for which they are wonderful, but if I want to eat them any other more direct way, such as fried, I have to take meds first. Otherwise I get a stomach ache. SUCKS!! I have been known to eat a duck-egg salad sandwich and take the meds after, because I just couldn't resist. They are SO GOOD!!

I sell my extra eggs for $3 here in dry west texas. I have started attending a new church and am not that familiar with pastor or his family. I took 2 18 packs to the pastors wife sunday. In our conversation she told me they have 7 children. Well, my meager gift may only be one breakfast!!!!!!

Apparently, around here, "humanely treated, free-range" eggs sell for about $6 per dozen...so, my $5 per dozen is a bit of a treat to those who've been coughing up $1 more per dozen for their eggs. I think I should have started off asking for more.
gig.gif

I sell my extra eggs for $3 here in dry west texas. I have started attending a new church and am not that familiar with pastor or his family. I took 2 18 packs to the pastors wife sunday. In our conversation she told me they have 7 children. Well, my meager gift may only be one breakfast!!!!!!
Mercy with 7 kids I am sure she is happy with whatever!!!

Interesting how supply and demand will determine the price of something. About the highest price in the stores is about $4 for "organic" eggs in this area. The eggs I sell range from medium to extra large size in each dozen. So far I haven't sorted by specific size, I just rack up an assortment of the bigger ones my girls lay. Small, jumbo and any bantam eggs we keep. So come this fall if all goes well we should have 27 layers. I hope to have a little business selling the eggs just to help pay for the feed. Mom and Dad get eggs for life since they help with the feed bill. We so enjoy our chickens and anything that can help with the cost of keeping them is a plus. For my area I think locally I'll be good at $3, but if I go to a "market" I think $4. Thanks for all the input.

My husband LOVES colored eggs.  He did some research & decided he would love to have some Olive-Eggers & Copper Marans to add to our flock.  Anyone, in the Austin area, have either of those up for grabs?  CHICKEN MATH!  :D

I know callahans has ameracaunas and marans. They get a new truck of chicks every thursday (i think). I got some cuckoo marans about 3 wks ago.

Back
Top Bottom