Texas

Livingston is wet too. :(  The run is a mess, nobody likes it but the ducks.

I have a trio of fawn and white runner ducks that I want to give away. Two ducks and a drake. The ducks have been laying, but slowed down. I got them last spring, so they are not even a year old yet. We are moving to the Tyler area, and I don't want to take them. Just keeping the chickens. How about it? Anybody close by that would like to have them?

I don't mind taking them to the Tyler area or at any point between here and there.

Glad someone lives close. I would take them but I'm in Austin so that's just too far.

Needlessjunk, thanks for the thought! Kinda defeats the notion of "free" if it cost more in gas than they are worth, doesn't it? Haha!

I have a mixed flock, living in the middle of town with neighbors all around, the nice thing to do is NOT have a rooster. Although.....I got fertile eggs for a broody hen last spring and two roos hatched out. They crow their happy lungs out, I haven't sent them to the soup pot, since I am moving--maybe I just don't care?
lau.gif
Once moved and properly set up, I want a flock of Delawares. I have a few favorites in the present flock that will get to stick around, but the rest will make some lovely home canned broth and pre-cooked meat for various purposes. Maybe at some point, I will try other poultry again, but to start with, I need to simplify things.

@orumpoultry I sent you a PM!

Needlessjunk, thanks for the thought! Kinda defeats the notion of "free" if it cost more in gas than they are worth, doesn't it? Haha!

I have a mixed flock, living in the middle of town with neighbors all around, the nice thing to do is NOT have a rooster. Although.....I got fertile eggs for a broody hen last spring and two roos hatched out. They crow their happy lungs out, I haven't sent them to the soup pot, since I am moving--maybe I just don't care? :lau  Once moved and properly set up, I want a flock of Delawares. I have a few favorites in the present flock that will get to stick around, but the rest will make some lovely home canned broth and pre-cooked meat for various purposes. Maybe at some point, I will try other poultry again, but to start with, I need to simplify things.

@orumpoultry
 I sent you a PM!

Somehow driving multiple hours does not sound like fun with screaming ducks and kids ;)

My neighbor has a rooster and I'm ready to kill that thing! If it only crowed during the day like the one he had last year I wouldn't mind. But that sucker crows ALL NIGHT! I can hear it inside my house and I cannot sleep with any windows open anymore. Not that I would right now anyway but come spring I hope he does something with him. I'm in the suburbs and I love all animals but at night everyone needs to quiet down.

Last edited:
Our neighbors are both in their eighties... Ones a chicken farmers daughter. Every now and then she offers scraps to my flock... We have many roosters so I'm glad my neighbors aren't to close and don't mind.

D- Got it!!

Somehow driving multiple hours does not sound like fun with screaming ducks and kids
wink.png

My neighbor has a rooster and I'm ready to kill that thing! If it only crowed during the day like the one he had last year I wouldn't mind. But that sucker crows ALL NIGHT! I can hear it inside my house and I cannot sleep with any windows open anymore. Not that I would right now anyway but come spring I hope he does something with him. I'm in the suburbs and I love all animals but at night everyone needs to quiet down.

LOL, I love those old wives tales that roosters just crow in the morning to wake people up. I've been awake at 3 am, pitch black, and one of our cocks will be crowing. But I live in the country so it isn't so bad. And frankly, I'd rather hear my roosters crowing in the middle of the night, than my obnoxious neighbors across the road shooting off fireworks all night making my animals go crazy.

LOL, I love those old wives tales that roosters just crow in the morning to wake people up.  I've been awake at 3 am, pitch black, and one of our cocks will be crowing.  But I live in the country so it isn't so bad.  And frankly, I'd rather hear my roosters crowing in the middle of the night, than my obnoxious neighbors across the road shooting off fireworks all night making my animals go crazy.

To our neighbors, we're the loud ones. Constantly building, and the noises from the saw travel through the woods to them... That and we're constantly yelling. Baby!!! Grab the angle square!!! I need more screws!!! I don't see the bar oil, no its not in its spot or I wouldn't ask!!

I wonder what they're thinking some days...

ETA: Our neighbors aren't close. But they're close enough to be called neighbors. Their house is a bit a ways from ours.

Last edited:
What was awful noisemakers were the pekin ducks! They NEVER shut up! And they were LOUD! They WHACK-QUACKED all day, all night, I grew to hate them and counted down the days until I could cut their heads off. If a flea farted, they sounded off about it. I might get ducks again at some point, but I don't think pekins make the list, unless they are in an underground bunker.

Hurrah!!! Got up this morning to no rain!!! Now getting ready for the cold. All the dustbath holes are full of water and my two white hens look like mud wrestlers! Everyone was happy to be outside though. Getting about 7-8 eggs a day...that's an egg about every third day from our girls.
Lol...can so agree about the roos whoever said they only crow at daybreak doesn't know a real roo!!! We still have five and they crow anytime, especially when our neighbors roos start tuning up. Two of my boys are young and just learning...sounds more like they are being strangled!!! DH is ready to shoot Issac, our brown leghorn...he's the worst...not happy to sound off only a couple of times,..no has to keep it up til he's out of breath!!! At 2:30 in the morning...really!!

Back
Top Bottom