Texas

been awhile since i have been on the board but still around LOL

i currently have Partridge Large Fowl Cochins, Blue LF Cochins, Speckled Sussex and Japanese Bantams (several colors)

amy

been awhile since i have been on the board but still around LOL

i currently have Partridge Large Fowl Cochins, Blue LF Cochins, Speckled Sussex and Japanese Bantams (several colors)

amy
I currently have 6 EE's, with 22 chicks coming around the first part of May. 11 Blue, black and splash Americaunas and 11 French Black Copper Marans.

We just moved to the Johnson City area and are looking for a hatchery or breeder near us. We plan to start a flock (our first) sometime this spring. We hate the thought of having to order our chicks through the mail and would prefer to go pick them up! Does anyone know of a good hatchery or breeder in the Hill Country area? Thank you for your help!

We just moved to the Johnson City area and are looking for a hatchery or breeder near us.  We plan to start a flock (our first) sometime this spring.  We hate the thought of having to order our chicks through the mail and would prefer to go pick them up!  Does anyone know of a good hatchery or breeder in the Hill Country area?   Thank you for your help!

I'm not familiar with all Texas hatcheries, but Ideal, in Cameron, would be about, or maybe just over a couple hours from you. Not meaning to ignore your statement about not getting them by mail, but we've always had good luck & like doing business with Ideal by mail (we're about 30-45 minutes north of Houston). Even if any arrive dead, or die shortly after, the customer service has been great. I realize everyone may not have the same experience that we have, but just saying. I usually do spring orders but just picked up my first winter order from them a few weeks ago & all went well as far as shipment & receiving (lost a few since then but that's not on them). Just offering my opinion. Hope you find what you're looking for :)

If you don't mind a little road trip, you can also pick up your order at Ideal.
If you're able, look on Facebook for a local chicken group :)
Breeders are usually on there as well.

If you decide to order from Ideal, just wait til it's a bit warmer out. I'm about 3 hours from them and got my chicks overnight :). All were healthy and happy, and that was in August.

Also, check Craigslist. You have to be careful, some people will try and pull one over on you, but most people are decent. For example, unless it's an auto sexing breed, don't believe someone who can 100% promise you day old sexed pullets. Lol.

Thank you both for giving me a place to start, as well as, your opinions and experiences! We are grateful for any and all thoughts and ideas!!

We just moved to the Johnson City area and are looking for a hatchery or breeder near us.  We plan to start a flock (our first) sometime this spring.  We hate the thought of having to order our chicks through the mail and would prefer to go pick them up!  Does anyone know of a good hatchery or breeder in the Hill Country area?   Thank you for your help!

I got my Buff orpingtons from Callahan's in south east Austin and have been really happy with tgem.

Back
Top Bottom