Texas

How the heck you doing Ken??

Glad to see someone building good quality coops instead of those Barbie Doll pieces of junk!!!

Will try to make Conroe Trade Days but been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest here!!!

David

I am doing great!! Thanks for the compliments, just can't sell junk. If you can make it, looking forward to meeting you, finally. I know the feeling, I have been busyer than a cat trying to cover up a fart!!
lau.gif
Hope to see you at Trade Days!!

That sounds pretty cool.  Maybe do seasonal bird classes.  Chick classes in the spring, coop classes fall, heat classes in the early summer, winter egg laying in the fall.  Incubator classes early spring.  That would keep the chick classes going.  Then for the sewing stuff I could schedule blankets for fall, easter dresses for early spring, outdoor cushions for early summer, stuff like that.  And keep a basics class open year round just based on how many people sign up for it.  That should keep me busy but still not so busy I get overwhelmed.  I could sell chicks, chickens, basic coop needs (nest boxes and whatnot), and for the sewing classes they walk out with whatever the class was teaching.  The projects could be ranked by skill level.  That sounds like a lot of fun but could be a little hard to set up.  But once it's going word of mouth would keep it going. 

As long as you work on a schedule that is comfortable for you, I think you can really excel. The sewing classes could be your bread and butter classes, ranging from grocery bags to quilts, and I think setting up a Facebook page or even just putting up flyers in a local fabric store could help advertise.

Maybe having classes mostly on weekends or after 5PM could help (especially for
Mothers and fathers who want to learn how to sew but can't during normal business hours).

I'd imagine starting off slow would really help you get into the groove of running these classes. I am trying to start a business myself but I'm working slow as molasses just to acclimate. I'm getting things done but I'm slowly improving and getting faster and more efficient. It just takes time.

Is there anyone who could build me a chicken coop or have one available and willing to deliver to us in Austin for a fee, please pm me

I contacted both a man in Florence and "Hillbilly Sawmill" on Craigslist. Both were willing to build and deliver a coop to Georgetown. I haven't seen either in person, but they are my backup plan if my coop doesn't turn out.

As for my coop, I have built the bottom support on 4x4 posts, framed the bottom, attached an OSB floor, and framed all of the walls. I think I have enough wood left to build a human door (which should be an adventure) and most of a run. I am probably going to use corrugated metal sheeting for the roof, so no more than $13 there. However, I am trying the keep the total cost of the coop under $100. I am currently at $19, thanks to some nice men at a construction site and Habitat Restore. This brings me to my questions:

1. The cheapest materials for the side of the coop that I have been able to find so far are cedar pickets. The thinner OSB would probably work as well, but I have very limited circular saw abilities. I have no idea how to cut a window and door opening. Any other ideas? I thought about recycling old fencing, but I can't fit whole panels in my minivan, and most of them in CL are whole panels.

2. Holy cow, hardware cloth is expensive!!!! I found a 4x25 ft roll at Home Depot for $58. Is there a cheaper place to find it in the Georgetown, RR, N Austin area? My coop is 4'x4', and I am planning on at least a 8'x6' run, plus some extra around the perimeter of the whole thing. I would like the run to be 5-6 ft tall so I can get inside to clean. Does the hardware cloth need to be used over the whole thing, or just a short way up on the sides? Is it necessary to also have hardware cloth on the top?

Thanks! You guys have been so helpful. I have learned a ton already!

Last edited:
I contacted both a man in Florence and "Hillbilly Sawmill" on Craigslist. Both were willing to build and deliver a coop to Georgetown. I haven't seen either in person, but they are my backup plan if my coop doesn't turn out.

As for my coop, I have built the bottom support on 4x4 posts, framed the bottom, attached an OSB floor, and framed all of the walls. I think I have enough wood left to build a human door (which should be an adventure) and most of a run. I am probably going to use corrugated metal sheeting for the roof, so no more than $13 there. However, I am trying the keep the total cost of the coop under $100. I am currently at $19, thanks to some nice men at a construction site and Habitat Restore. This brings me to my questions:

1. The cheapest materials for the side of the coop that I have been able to find so far are cedar pickets. The thinner OSB would probably work as well, but I have very limited circular saw abilities. I have no idea how to cut a window and door opening. Any other ideas? I thought about recycling old fencing, but I can't fit whole panels in my minivan, and most of them in CL are whole panels.

2. Holy cow, hardware cloth is expensive!!!! I found a 4x25 ft roll at Home Depot for $58. Is there a cheaper place to find it in the Georgetown, RR, N Austin area? My coop is 4'x4', and I am planning on at least a 8'x6' run, plus some extra around the perimeter of the whole thing. I would like the run to be 5-6 ft tall so I can get inside to clean. Does the hardware cloth need to be used over the whole thing, or just a short way up on the sides? Is it necessary to also have hardware cloth on the top?

Thank you n im sorry I can't be any help on the questions

Yes, hardware cloth is expensive. I am using 16 feet in length and over 6 feet tall for a an attached run to my chicken coop. It will soon be the home of 22 birds in about 9 weeks after they get out of the brooder box. I am not sure how many will of those will remain as they are a straight run. I plan on keeping one rooster of each variety (separated) to create more chicks with my incubator coming in.
As to OSB in Texas, especially East Texas, I wouldn't do it. If it gets exposed tot he wet, you may as well have wet cardboard. You can get bard siding, which is what I used on the coop itself. Paint it and it should be plenty durable for exterior use. I wouldn't worry so much about the circular saw, that comes in time. When I first started this project I never owned one. You get better with time. I went from a Skill Saw to a Dewalt. I liked the automatic stop function. I got my first Dewalt hammer drill, now my first Dewalt angle grinder to make this hardware cloth situation easier. I am going to staple them in place. I was tempted to get a compressed air staple gun, but got vetoed by the boss (wife).

You are going to make mistakes. It is a learning experience. But, let's put it this way:
1. Have you provided them secure shelter from the elements and predators?
2. Can they be reliably fed and watered?

If both answers are "yes" you have succeeded.

Last edited:
Yes, hardware cloth is expensive. I am using 16 feet in length and over 6 feet tall for a an attached run to my chicken coop. It will soon be the home of 22 birds in about 9 weeks after they get out of the brooder box. I am not sure how many will of those will remain as they are a straight run. I plan on keeping one rooster of each variety (separated) to create more chicks with my incubator coming in.
As to OSB in Texas, especially East Texas, I wouldn't do it. If it gets exposed tot he wet, you may as well have wet cardboard. You can get bard siding, which is what I used on the coop itself. Paint it and it should be plenty durable for exterior use. I wouldn't worry so much about the circular saw, that comes in time. When I first started this project I never owned one. You get better with time. I went from a Skill Saw to a Dewalt. I liked the automatic stop function. I got my first Dewalt hammer drill, now my first Dewalt angle grinder to make this hardware cloth situation easier. I am going to staple them in place. I was tempted to get a compressed air staple gun, but got vetoed by the boss (wife).

You are going to make mistakes. It is a learning experience. But, let's put it this way:
1. Have you provided them secure shelter from the elements and predators?
2. Can they be reliably fed and watered?

If both answers are "yes" you have succeeded.

Rooster, there is a better tool to cut hardware cloth. I have one. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! Here is a pic.

It cost about $40.00 dollars, and can out-cut any other method, hands down. I have been using it for about a year, and love it. I bought it a Lowes, but they don't carry it anymore. You can get it online. Just search for Skil Cutting Tool, and it should pop up.

Just wanted to post a pic of my new chicks. They were born on Sat and I pick them up Tues!

Blue & Splash English Orpingtons and Black split to Spangle English/American Orpingtons. I"m so excited! Can't wait to get them!

Hi... I'm new to this somay not be doing this right so please let me know if I'm not
1f60a.png
I am looking for a good bloodline of Jersey Giants in this area of Texas. Can anyone recommend someone plz.
Thank you so much

I am doing great!! Thanks for the compliments, just can't sell junk. If you can make it, looking forward to meeting you, finally. I know the feeling, I have been busyer than a cat trying to cover up a fart!!:lau Hope to see you at Trade Days!!

How the heck you doing Ken??

Glad to see someone building good quality coops instead of those Barbie Doll pieces of junk!!!

Will try to make Conroe Trade Days but been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest here!!!

David

I think I missed the info on this one. When, where, cost? Most of the meet ups are on Saturday, but Sunday's work better for me. I would like to go.

Back
Top Bottom