Texas

Hi all, I am in the market for a laying hen that is likely to go broody. I would prefer a larger size, as opposed to a silkie. I'm in San Antonio, but I travel to Austin, DFW, fairly frequently.

If you have a mama that you need to re home/sell, please PM me. Basically the story is that my 3 birds have never gone broody, and I'd like to hen-raise some chicks this year.

So after a stressful night shift, I noticed an empty egg shell in the broody coop. So I got to meet this little guy when the sun came up. A little blue silkie.

Also the guys from January are almost all grown up. Anyone need a silkie? I feel like I have too many broody hens.

So after a stressful night shift, I noticed an empty egg shell in the broody coop. So I got to meet this little guy when the sun came up. A little blue silkie.

Also the guys from January are almost all grown up. Anyone need a silkie? I feel like I have too many broody hens.

so cute! I was looking for Silkies like crazy haha, I am hoping the little chick I have is a girl. I am so jealous!

Hello everyone,
I live in Leander, TX, which isn't far from Austin. I'm wondering if anyone knows somewhere I can take some excess ducks and roosters to be processed? I have about 15 drakes and 2 roosters that need to go. Thanks!

I can't wait for the rain, we've been working on seeding the yard for better chicken forage and all those seeds could use it.

Hello everyone,
I live in Leander, TX, which isn't far from Austin. I'm wondering if anyone knows somewhere I can take some excess ducks and roosters to be processed? I have about 15 drakes and 2 roosters that need to go. Thanks!

I can't wait for the rain, we've been working on seeding the yard for better chicken forage and all those seeds could use it.
I realize Austin is known for being different in Texas; but, if you are planning on eating them yourself, why not butcher them yourself? Or, is there an ordinance against it? It sounds like you could fill your freezer.

I've been considering doing it myself, but not sure that I could handle it. I'm a bit odd in that I've been a vegetarian since I was old enough to know where meat came from, so I really do not like killing anything. But this spring I got a ton of laying chickens and ducks, so I would know my eggs came from humanely raised animals, and to sell eggs on the side. Though since I ended up with way more males than I was hoping for in the process I ended up with the dilemma of what to do with them all. Seems like a waste of money to give them away, just to be killed anyway, and since my dog is allergic to all store bought food, and I have to feed her actual chicken, that the best option would be to use them to feed her, atleast I'll know her food was raised humanely. Though just preparing her food makes me really sick sometimes, more so at first, so as much as I think I should just see it through and process them myself, I'm not sure that I could do it. Though they really make me consider it with how aggressive they are, and how much they eat. Maybe they'll finally annoy me enough someday to help me get up the courage to do it?

Back
Top Bottom