Texas

Well we managed to get the temporary coop done this weekend. Poor things now have to deal with the mud, but they have plenty of space to climb up on. It was a little soggy when we put them in the coop, then we got more rain. The two broilers were not doing well out in the muck, the male was completely soaked, so they were cleaned up and went back inside. Was hoping to give them some more outdoors time, but that is not really possible with all the rain we have had and what is in the forecast. The rest are doing well out in the coop.

It was suppose to be a tractor coop, but it's a little too heavy. That is a problem to solve later. Worst case I will put down sand after the mud has dried up and it can stay where it is at until the permanent coop is completed.

Last week was rough around my parts... It's rained incessantly and my clay yard with no topsoil doesn't allow for much infiltration. Add the fact that my back yard slopes towards the house, and my yard is a muddy, mucky mess and under my house has flooded multiple times. Luckily, my open air coop is deep littered or they'd be ankle deep most days. We're having plumbing issues. We lost one of our SLW hens to illness. Then a bunch of bikers decided to have a shoot out during a Sunday lunch rush, causing our humble little town to make national news again... To add insult to injury, my elderly chihuahua passed away in his sleep.... siiiiiiigh... New week, new beginnings. Hoping and praying for better days ahead.

Welcome to all the new folks.

Well we managed to get the temporary coop done this weekend. Poor things now have to deal with the mud, but they have plenty of space to climb up on. It was a little soggy when we put them in the coop, then we got more rain. The two broilers were not doing well out in the muck, the male was completely soaked, so they were cleaned up and went back inside. Was hoping to give them some more outdoors time, but that is not really possible with all the rain we have had and what is in the forecast. The rest are doing well out in the coop.

It was suppose to be a tractor coop, but it's a little too heavy. That is a problem to solve later. Worst case I will put down sand after the mud has dried up and it can stay where it is at until the permanent coop is completed.
Most of our mobile coops are too heavy to be moved without mechanical assistance. We use our riding lawn mower for moving them most of the time.

Last week was rough around my parts... It's rained incessantly and my clay yard with no topsoil doesn't allow for much infiltration. Add the fact that my back yard slopes towards the house, and my yard is a muddy, mucky mess and under my house has flooded multiple times. Luckily, my open air coop is deep littered or they'd be ankle deep most days. We're having plumbing issues. We lost one of our SLW hens to illness. Then a bunch of bikers decided to have a shoot out during a Sunday lunch rush, causing our humble little town to make national news again... To add insult to injury, my elderly chihuahua passed away in his sleep.... siiiiiiigh... New week, new beginnings. Hoping and praying for better days ahead.

Welcome to all the new folks.

I'm sorry about your hen and your pup...and that people are crazy, sometimes. Here's to hoping life gets a little brighter this week. I know that's what I'm hoping for. :)

This has been a rough week on my husband. Another of the Marines he deployed with has passed. The helicopter was recovered, and, he found out via facebook his "brother" would not be coming home. Mark Johnson was a good friend of my husbands. They deployed together two years ago. Hoping his family good fortune through all of this chaos. They will lose their home. They just had a baby in September.

Prayers requested for those of you that do. For their family, and, for my husband as he mourns his loss in silence.

Hi folks....good to be back on a real computer!!! I know everyone is tired of the rain. We've gotten nearly 8 inches with this last round. My poor chickens are miserable having to hold up in their house. The cochins have filthy feet...poor babies! They are 6 weeks old and finally learning to use the roost. We still have to put a couple of them up at night but at least their feet can stay dry. My backyard is a swamp since it is thew lowest part of the property. It started drying a bit today, just in time for another inch this evening. My bean plants are holding up, a few are beat down. Just glad we staked the tomatoes and peppers before all this rain started. I don't know if we'll put in our big garden this year or not. Can't even think about taking the tractor into it. Would sink and be there till fall! So ready for some days of dry and sunshine We have built a second pen and coop for the bantams. The big roos were just too hard on them. After de-spuring my big boys our big ladies are growing new feathers. In January my little white bantam went missing. Thought she was gone. She showed up after three days By the time I got outside to catch her she was gone again...hmmm? A few days later she showed up again,,,soaking wet. Ah Ha, I know what she's been doing. It took some searching but we found her nest in the dewberry thicket. She had 14 beautiful eggs. Well it was going to be well below freezing that night so we decided to try and move the nest. BAD idea! After putting her and the nest in a crate and secluding her we hoped for the best. She killed them all!!. We checked her the next morning and she had either broken or kicked the eggs to the wall. She hasn't gone broody since. Still think we made the right decision though...we saved the hen. It was also a really bad time to have chicks hatching. Had some predator issues this spring...lost three of our hens. One was Becka...my beautiful broody sebright bantam. They were being harassed by the roos and flew over the fence. Something got them in the woods about dusk...left nothing but a pile of feathers. Now all wings are clipped!!! And their own pen! Also lost my handsome Aussie roo...Mick. Poor guy...some how he got hung in the gate rails..we think he was trying to avoid another roo...anyway I found him hanging in the gate when I went to put them up for the night....cried like a baby, I did. He was a good roo too! Bad things happen d**n if they don't!:hit On a positive note....Received our 21 chicks from ideal Thursday. Only lost one. She had a prolapse navel, nothing I could do.:( We got 3 buff orfs, 3 Americaunas, 3 Aussies, 3 Jersy giants, all pullets....yeah!!! Also 3 sebrights and three silkies, they are straight run so hope we get at least a couple of hens. DH loves the little birds. Tomorrow we will be driving to Cameron...150 miles to pick up our 5 Gold lace wyndotte pullets that weren't ready for the rest of the order. Decided to make a day trip out of it. It will save the freight and won't have to take any packing peanut roos! Here are some pics of the new babies.:jumpy Take care folks...Magpie
What cuties!

This has been a rough week on my husband. Another of the Marines he deployed with has passed. The helicopter was recovered, and, he found out via facebook his "brother" would not be coming home. Mark Johnson was a good friend of my husbands. They deployed together two years ago. Hoping his family good fortune through all of this chaos. They will lose their home. They just had a baby in September.

Prayers requested for those of you that do. For their family, and, for my husband as he mourns his loss in silence.
So very sorry. Lots of hugs and prayers to your husband and their family.

Back
Top Bottom