Texas

Thank you bnjrob, I was thinking that same thing....I really could tell if they were moving or not...So "looked" like they hadn't move but I didn't know whether turn them or not so I didn't.....I sure hope they hatch.....It's $60.00 bucks down the drain if I don't get any chicks!When should they start pipping?it is down to one day now.......

When they pip is anyone's guess. I've had them start hatching a day or two early, right on time, and some late ones. Just depends on how well each chick formed in the shell.

What I like to do when I take the turning plate out on day 18, is to put down a piece of the foam shelf liner in there, cut in the donut shape to fit the incubator. They do better having the foam under them when they hatch so they can get a good grip with their little toe nails instead of sliding around on the plastic - less risk of getting splayed legs. Even though you're nearly at hatch, you can still get some of the foam shelf liner and put it in now before they hatch, just be careful picking up the eggs and putting them back down onto the foam.

Grrr. The hawk that was picking off my hens back in February finally moved on and I've had my hens back out in the pens for ranging fly control for the past 3 weeks. They've been so happy. Then, yesterday, foxes took off with 6 of them! I have lost more this year than in the 5 years I've had chickens. Its ridiculous! I'm going to set the traps tonight, but I'm not holding my breath. I usually just catch coons or my dog. Hens are going to be back to confined to the barn and the front pen.

So, now that the main coop is down to 20 hens and the 27 chicks are almost old enough to merge in (they're 14 weeks), I'm thinking of ordering some more chicks, just to have in abeyance in case I get another wipe out. Messes my plans up. I had moved my old rooster to the small coop since his son had wiped the floor with him and had him hiding in corners. Mr. Feathers is doing great with the young pullets and I know he'll be fine with the chicks when they have to come out of the brooder. My issue is that I had planned on moving the last of the originals (5 hens) in there with him, since they aren't laying much anymore, but only 1, possibly 2, is trustworthy around chicks. GAH! I need to think this through. There is a solution somewhere.

Thanks - just needed to vent a little. :)
Current Chickens here, including chicks is: 42. No hawk losses. I have learned when they free range, they have to be monitored.

I am at a loss with all of the rain. My run is flooding, as is my yard, so I dumped all the extra hay and bedding I had just go get my birds out of the water. It worked, but now I have a soggy run of hay, poo, & water. *sighs* Never imagined my yard was so low I would have to get my shoes soaked every day just trying to go and tend the birds and rabbits. Wish I could afford some dang fill dirt... and get the truck in the back yard without getting it stuck. >_<

Also in other news, I am quite sad, my favorite turken out of the lot I got I am assuming is going to be a roo. He has an extreeeeemly red comb and large wattles, while the other three have no wattles at all and no redness. Pooey. I have a blue and cream easter egger I am also wondering if it is going to turn out to be a roo. Our friends are possibly taking all the easter eggers, not sure yet. When can you start guessing genders pretty well on these guys? I will post up about them later when I can get home and take pictures. =)

Getting pretty excited! I got to do a playful sonogram at work thanks to my boss who expectantly pulled out the machine and let me look at my dogs puppies in her belly. We didn't poke around for long and he showed me the puppies heart beating. So cute! From the one side we looked on for the short amount of time I think I saw 4 lil cute ones in there! I get to do radiographs on her in two weeks. Fun times. Though I know I am probably not going to be enjoying puppy clean up!

Grrr. The hawk that was picking off my hens back in February finally moved on and I've had my hens back out in the pens for ranging fly control for the past 3 weeks. They've been so happy. Then, yesterday, foxes took off with 6 of them! I have lost more this year than in the 5 years I've had chickens. Its ridiculous! I'm going to set the traps tonight, but I'm not holding my breath. I usually just catch coons or my dog. Hens are going to be back to confined to the barn and the front pen.

So, now that the main coop is down to 20 hens and the 27 chicks are almost old enough to merge in (they're 14 weeks), I'm thinking of ordering some more chicks, just to have in abeyance in case I get another wipe out. Messes my plans up. I had moved my old rooster to the small coop since his son had wiped the floor with him and had him hiding in corners. Mr. Feathers is doing great with the young pullets and I know he'll be fine with the chicks when they have to come out of the brooder. My issue is that I had planned on moving the last of the originals (5 hens) in there with him, since they aren't laying much anymore, but only 1, possibly 2, is trustworthy around chicks. GAH! I need to think this through. There is a solution somewhere.

Thanks - just needed to vent a little. :)

Sometimes you just need to vent. I hope you have better luck soon! We are trying our best to keep our birds safe. The stray dogs, the flooding, the hawk next in my backyard. It's a mess. But we are winning so far. My neighbor is about to hatch out some barnyard mixes. He's really excited. He hasn't seen birds like ours before. His came up with him from Mexico. Some of his look really strange but most of them are really pretty and he has a hen that I adore. I hope he lets me buy a few chicks from her brood. She is a dark brown and sort of a coppery highlight all over.

Can't wait until he sees the easter eggers!

Sometimes you just need to vent. I hope you have better luck soon! We are trying our best to keep our birds safe. The stray dogs, the flooding, the hawk next in my backyard. It's a mess. But we are winning so far. My neighbor is about to hatch out some barnyard mixes. He's really excited. He hasn't seen birds like ours before. His came up with him from Mexico. Some of his look really strange but most of them are really pretty and he has a hen that I adore. I hope he lets me buy a few chicks from her brood. She is a dark brown and sort of a coppery highlight all over.

Can't wait until he sees the easter eggers!

Please share pictures of the cute babies! Also, if I remember correctly you spoke of a handsome little roo you have that looks like a song bird! I would love to see him! There are so many chickens out there that are mixes that just look so wonderful. I hope to try and hatch out some chicks from my ladies and see what luck will bring me.

Sure! As soon as the sky quits rumbling at me, I'll go get some current pics of the flock. It's been a while since I've gotten pics anyways. Killer is adorable, wish I knew what he was because he sure is cute! He doesn't sound like a chicken either, he trills and warbles.

Sure! As soon as the sky quits rumbling at me, I'll go get some current pics of the flock. It's been a while since I've gotten pics anyways. Killer is adorable, wish I knew what he was because he sure is cute! He doesn't sound like a chicken either, he trills and warbles.
That is amazing haha. And trust me I understand about the sky rumbling. I am postponing putting up my extension where I will be putting the babies till they are old enough to fend themselves against the flock thanks to all of this rain. I refuse to put these little ones outside when they are so small with all of this rain and flooding. Time for more stinky baby chick time in the house. They are getting too big for their cardboard barrier brooder. I might end up having to build something just to keep them from jumping out. I have had three chick escapes so far.
barnie.gif

I have already put paper towels down...Took the ring out and cut the paper towels to fit over the water deal,...This what I did the last time...But I like your idea better, and I already have that shelf liner....Thanks for the idea....Please thee chicks make it..I want them to hatch so bad....Thanks again....

That is amazing haha. And trust me I understand about the sky rumbling. I am postponing putting up my extension where I will be putting the babies till they are old enough to fend themselves against the flock thanks to all of this rain. I refuse to put these little ones outside when they are so small with all of this rain and flooding. Time for more stinky baby chick time in the house. They are getting too big for their cardboard barrier brooder. I might end up having to build something just to keep them from jumping out. I have had three chick escapes so far.
barnie.gif
Have you considered building a brooder box? Plywood sides, and a wire mesh top with hinges?

Back
Top Bottom