Texas

Anyone have a boat? I'm flooded and have more heading my way!

At least the dogs have fun mud wrestling.

Have you considered building a brooder box?  Plywood sides, and a wire mesh top with hinges? 

I never have chicks long enough so I never thought about it. But I will probably build one soon.

Omg! How high is the water!?

I never have chicks long enough so I never thought about it. But I will probably build one soon.
Omg! How high is the water!?

Oh no! Stay safe and hopefully there will be a break for bit. This rain is nuts! We are getting up here as well but not nearly as bad as you.

I'm much more worried about the tornado watch we are under. And from the chat on KSAT a tornado touchdown has been reported in Rio Medina.

Last edited:
That is amazing haha. And trust me I understand about the sky rumbling. I am postponing putting up my extension where I will be putting the babies till they are old enough to fend themselves against the flock thanks to all of this rain. I refuse to put these little ones outside when they are so small with all of this rain and flooding. Time for more stinky baby chick time in the house. They are getting too big for their cardboard barrier brooder. I might end up having to build something just to keep them from jumping out. I have had three chick escapes so far.
barnie.gif
I just use cardboard boxes. I get bigger ones at walmart (from overnight stockers) as the chicks get bigger. Furniture stores for the final grow out. So, stinky baby chicks get to hang out nicely and I can just burn the old boxes.

They look like they are having so much fun!

I hope everyone is staying safe with all this weather.

I used a little orange vegetation fencing I got from Home Deopt. I let it hang over about 14" on front and back of my brood box. Duct taped it on back side. Than I wieved a fiberglass rod through the fence on the front side. The weight of the rod hold it closed and keeps the birds in but is easy to get in for cleaning and feeding.

Last edited:
I usually just lay a baby gate over the top. You know the cheap ones with the wood frame and the plastic mesh stuff. You can adjust the size to the type of box and when not in use, you can use it for children or dogs! Then again, we also have a pack and play that several puppies, kittens, chickens, a goat, and children have been raised in. Didn't take long to figure out how to make a new bottom mattress for it using foam, cotton duck and plastic cut into rectangles.

Anyone want two cockerels? One is a splash turken, the other is an Amerucana Easter egger cross. I figured I would offer here before I take them to CL. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom