Texas

In the worst part of the storm yesterday the guineas and chickens were all under the sheds and porches while the Muscovy ducks ran and played in the wind and rain like it was party time. They were bathing and swimming in the flood waters. I think they were the happiest I have seen them since I brought them home.

Does anyone nearby know how to trim goat feet? I know basics but I have never lived in a wet area. I am worried about my pygmy goats feet. They look a little off but I don't know what is normal for his little feet. I'm sure I could take him to the vet but they are going to charge me the 75 dollar visit fee and I just don't have it right now. (we just had to have our electric repaired and are almost done paying that bill off) I don't want to take him to the vet and pay that fee if there is nothing wrong. But I don't know for sure if something is wrong. I can't smell anything but his feet don't look like the big goats I used to raise. They never have looked like big goat feet.

I've tried searching online but that's just a disaster. I can't seem to find any of healthy pygmy goat feet. Maybe I am looking wrong.

Just glanced around for the book I have on goats, can't locate it, will post the title when I find it. It has good illustration of how to trim the hooves. If he is still a kid you can probably use a good pair of wire cutters to trim it. That was what we were able to use to trim the Nigerian Dwarf kid's hooves. Although hers may have just been really soft, she had issues, failed to thrive.

We have managed to survive the weather. Had to "rescue" one of the Cochin chicks last night. It fell off, or was pushed off, the roost. It was fairly well soaked, so we used the blow dryer to dry out the feathers and warm it up some. Have the low corner of the tractor propped up so the runoff water can drain, but it is still a muddy mess. Wanted to move it, but did not get around to it Saturday, then we got more rain so have to wait until the ground dries out again. No where would have been dry yesterday anyhow.

Still can not tell on a few of my chicks if they are male or female yet. Going on 9 weeks for the Cubalayas and 8 for the Cochins. Just have to wait and see. I'm fairly sure one of the Cochins is male and another is female, the one that had to be dried could go either way. I am leaning more to the Cubalayas I have been unsure about being male, since I have 5 out 11 that have the female coloring and 2 that I am fairly certain are male (mostly black and combs are bright red).

Just ordered some turkey poults, that will ship tomorrow. Cackle Hatchery is replenishing their breeding stock, so they did 2 runs that they have sold the toms at a bargain. Managed to catch the sale just in time. So I need to get a brooder set up again. Then build a pen for them.

In the worst part of the storm yesterday the guineas and chickens were all under the sheds and porches while the Muscovy ducks ran and played in the wind and rain like it was party time. They were bathing and swimming in the flood waters. I think they were the happiest I have seen them since I brought them home.

On the never ending newscast today in Houston, they were showing scenes of underpasses underwater and cars stuck in them and there were some ducks happily swimming by. Cracked me up.

We did ok, just a lot of water, until this oak fell over this morning. Missed the house by about 2 feet.

My puppy, Kira, thought it was a cool place to explore

On the never ending newscast today in Houston, they were showing scenes of underpasses underwater and cars stuck in them and there were some ducks happily swimming by. Cracked me up. We did ok, just a lot of water, until this oak fell over this morning. Missed the house by about 2 feet. My puppy, Kira, thought it was a cool place to explore
glad it missed your roof. We just had the usual debris to pick up not bad in Montgomery county

On the never ending newscast today in Houston, they were showing scenes of underpasses underwater and cars stuck in them and there were some ducks happily swimming by. Cracked me up. We did ok, just a lot of water, until this oak fell over this morning. Missed the house by about 2 feet. My puppy, Kira, thought it was a cool place to explore
I would so build a coop around that. The chickens would have so much fun jumping and playing on it!

Back
Top Bottom