Texas

I read somewhere that baking soda in the feed for heat helps the chcikens instead of acv for summer.

anyone else ever heard this? tried this?

opinions?
Unless you are pouring in LARGE amounts of ACV in the water, the acid-base balance problem and the issues that people think chickens have when drinking the ACV-laced water when it is hot is unlikely to happen. We use ACV in our water both to help change the pH of the gut slightly (have never had coccidiosis), as well as to help keep the invisible slime in the water under control, since you can feel slime start growing within 24 hours even if you can't see it, if you don't add a little ACV. No, I would not routinely put baking soda in the feed. My opinion comes from my education as a nurse and my husband who is a veterinarian as well as our experiences with our flock.

another bad guy at the coop.

That makes two rattlesnakes, one copper head, two cottonmouths and three chicken snakes since the rains. Guess they all crawled up the hill to get away from the water and went to the poultry.

Beautiful snake! Snakes(both venomous and nonvenomous) are extremely beneficial. Instead of killing them, I'd suggest finding someone who is experienced in handling snakes to come take them off your hands for you. I know a lot of snakes are being seen lately because all the rain we've had here, but if they're all killed, you will find yourself over run with rats and other unwanted rodents. Try to just relocate the nonvenomous species and call for help when you've got the venomous ones. :)

Pop 'em and eat'em. They are good eating if cooked right. They are legal to hunt year-round and, if you are on your property, no license required. As long as they know the feed is there, they will come. I believe they have a network, throughout Texas, and can zero in on an easy target. If they find that they are losing friends and family to humans, they back off.
lau.gif

A good dog will chase them off also.

I passed through Cut'n'Shoot last month to pick up a goat! It's such a neat town!

I have been here over 50 years. They have rattlesnake roundups here because there are so many in this area. Wait until you lose several thousand dollars a year in dead livestock to snake bite and then tell me you want them around. Then spend a small fortune on one hospital visit and also vet bills for snake bite. Not counting all the pain and work time I lost recovering. I will kill every venomous snake I see on this place. Let the coach whips, racers, cats and coons eat the rats. I would never forgive myself if one of my grandkids had to go through what I have with a snake bite. JMHO

We use ACV in our water both to help change the pH of the gut slightly (have never had coccidiosis), as well as to help keep the invisible slime in the water under control, since you can feel slime start growing within 24 hours even if you can't see it, if you don't add a little ACV.
I would like to use acv in my chicken water. We have well water for the animals/garden/yard and when I add acv, a black cloud starts to form within a few days. I don't think it's the "mother" growing, since it is more black than the brown like in the bottle. When I use plain water, it stays fresh and clean even if I don't change it for two weeks.

My dog water does start slimming, but it has no lid so it is exposed to the elements.

Beautiful snake! Snakes(both venomous and nonvenomous) are extremely beneficial. Instead of killing them, I'd suggest finding someone who is experienced in handling snakes to come take them off your hands for you. I know a lot of snakes are being seen lately because all the rain we've had here, but if they're all killed, you will find yourself over run with rats and other unwanted rodents. Try to just relocate the nonvenomous species and call for help when you've got the venomous ones. :)
Yes they are beneficial, but they can be beneficial somewhere else. There are plenty of rats/mice/rabbits/birds out in the woods/pasture. They can live as long as they don't come around my area. I've already taken my Jack-Rat Terrier to the vet for a snake bite, I would hate to have to take my granddaughter for the same thing.

FYI - I'm working on expanding my coop. I need room for more chickens! LOL

I'd think the non venomous ones can do the rodent killing just as well. I'm used to things giving me nasty bites but I'd rather not be bitten by something that can land me in the hospital and I'm saying that when I'm still going to be within an hour of the medical center in Houston. I can't blame folks for killing them if they're far from medical care. I actually like snakes but I wouldn't think twice about disposing of one if it proved to be a threat to people.

The King snakes get a pass,the coach whips,get a pass even the 6ft chicken (rat snakes) get a pass. As long as I KNOW they are there. The POISONOUS ones and the ones that SUPRISE me....well they DON'T get a pass.

And....I've had speckled King Snakes return to where I found them after relocating to the back of my property. 4-1/2 acres away. Happened twice in the last 20yrs. Marked the snake with paint the second time around just to prove to my "grown " son that it WAS the same snake!!

Nope to the live and let live on the snakes they would not afford me that same chance! Or my children grandchildren dogs or Chickens for that matter! my house and property are like the *roach motel* for snakes! IF they check in they, will NOT check out! Besides have you EVER called for snake assistance? I bet it would not be a quicker response time than say a viscous Dog. But when I called for assistance on that it took 2 hours with me locked in my car. Nope!

The possum get a pass here I will make them move if I catch em but they can roam for snakes all they want!

Back
Top Bottom