Texas

I lived in Irving a number of years, and was able to hire a "pet sitter" to help with the animals when I had to be gone. Might ask a vet, Petsmart, etc if they know of anyone reliable.

Welcome! I'm in Amarillo (well, just south) - there are FaceBook groups called "West Texas Chickens" and "Chickens and Stuff in the Texas Panhandle". You might ask to join those - people post chickens for sale there occasionally. Of course, you'd have to verify the quality of the seller's flock. Also people post chickens/pullets/chicks on Craigslist in Lubbock quite frequently. I check Craigslist every so often just to see what's up for sale.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Hey - I'm a forum stalker, but not a poster. I'm in NE Dallas and I need someone to watch my flock for about five days after Christmas. Nothing crazy - just letting them out and locking them in at night. And food and water. Anyone out there with good resources?

Do you have a responsible neighbor?

Anyone in the Hill Country have hatching eggs?

I am in Hood county Texas and I have some eggs that could be hatched. But that depends on what breeds you want and if you are okay with surprises. :) I set rhode island reds and buff orpington but apparently someone in my house mixed in some other brown eggs in. I thought my ee egg was no good so wasn't really looking to see odd colored chicks. Should be red and yellow. Nope, I've got a chipmunk chick, a speckled chick, and one that I think can't figure out what it wants to be. Oh! And a black one with a white belly.

ETA All the rest look like they are supposed to. 24 set, 6 infertile. 18 to lockdown 15 hatched. 3 that might make it or might not.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I am new to this forum but not new to chickens! We recently moved to a larger piece of land in Spicewood, Tx outside of Austin. I was wondering if anyone knew of any local (or further away) breeders that sell crele penedesenca chickens?

Thanks!
Lauren

Hello, we almost lived in Spicewood. I don't know about that breed of chicken, I intend to look it up.

I lived in Irving a number of years, and was able to hire a "pet sitter" to help with the animals when I had to be gone. Might ask a vet, Petsmart, etc if they know of anyone reliable.
I always ask the neighbor. He doesn't mind, and he gets to keep all the eggs he can eat. Also, my son is going to care for his dog while they are away to save on kennel costs. It all depends on the relationship you have with your neighbors. Granted there are some questionable elements in the state (especially with Obama importing Syrian terrorists) but by-in-large Texans take care of other Texans. When the hurricane blew through Texas and tore most of it up about 8 years ago, neighbors were helping other neighbors. No one was living in FEMA trailers rent free for 5 years after. Texan tend to have a different set of values. So, I would solicit and trusted neighbor.

The last one looks rough, but it had a hard start. It was sticky shrink wrapped (I think I got the term right). Then after I left it to get out of the shell by itself (thanks to SallySunshine and her wonderful guide to assisted hatching) it ripped it's umbilical cord kicking out of the shell. Cornstarch stopped the bleeding but the poor thing is still kind of weak compared to the other chicks. It's perked up quite a bit and with careful qtip baths I've been slowly working the ew off of it.

The first 8 are already sold. The next 7 aren't. If it makes it I am keeping the little black one.

The last one looks rough, but it had a hard start. It was sticky shrink wrapped (I think I got the term right). Then after I left it to get out of the shell by itself (thanks to SallySunshine and her wonderful guide to assisted hatching) it ripped it's umbilical cord kicking out of the shell. Cornstarch stopped the bleeding but the poor thing is still kind of weak compared to the other chicks. It's perked up quite a bit and with careful qtip baths I've been slowly working the ew off of it.

The first 8 are already sold. The next 7 aren't. If it makes it I am keeping the little black one.

SOOOO cute!
fl.gif
for the little black one.

Back
Top Bottom