Texas

Hi all, I'm here in Houston! Just adopted 5 of different ages... 2 buff orps and 3 reds (don't know the breed). Definitly in a learning as I go kind of situation. The 2 buffs should be laying any day. 1 of the reds is older and the other 2 are her chick's, I don't really know what age.

frow.gif
Hello and welcome. The first eggs are always sooo exciting!

Anyone interested in a free Amberlink Rooster? Austin/Bastrop area. I have a friend trying to re-home him because the neighbors are complaining.

<br />

@BertS , we just bought Ameraucana from max strawn....he wins shows with them, including the state fair this year.
A super nice guy, he lives in Princeton, Texas. I can send you his email address if you're still looking.
(He might ship, I think he ships chicks and eggs, his are really great birds, we got blue wheaten and blue Ameraucana)
that would be great, thanks.

Just wanted to share this picture I took today of my son and my chickens! Yes it's a boy, he's our fourth boy so my wife is picky about his hair since I've failed to give her any girls :-( I hope all is well with everyone!

How do you all keep your chickens cool in the summer?We have a raised hen house with an attached enclosed run. Half of the run is shaded all day and they confine themselves there for the most part, I think to stay cool but they are constantly panting and I feel terrible for them.

How do you all keep your chickens cool in the summer?We have a raised hen house with an attached enclosed run. Half of the run is shaded all day and they confine themselves there for the most part, I think to stay cool but they are constantly panting and I feel terrible for them.

I have been using a cake pan....i put ice cubes and treats (grapes, kale.....)n their area....if forces them to drink cool water to get the treats.
Since I am home all day I am able to do this a few times.....Really helps.

I also freeze a few milk jugs and put them in their run so they can lean up against them to cool off.
I ordered a mister but am thinking my chicks are still a lil too small to get wet....but what do I know, I am new to this!

I freeze peas and some corn in an electrolyte mixture in muffin tins. The. Pop a few out and toss them to the birds. Cool water with electrolytes when we hit the heat advisories and as much as they hate me I will spray them down with the hose. My ducks are much easier to cool off because I just turn on the sprinkler and they play in it. When I move it around the yard the chickens will scratch in the cool ground/mud. I will also hose down the kids sand box and trampoline so they can stand under it and they dig and cool off in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom