Texas

Yay! I just found out that the first chicks I incubated and sold are making their owners super happy! A batch of Rhode Island Reds and Olive Eggers (with a pretty blue egg layer in there too). The olive eggers are much darker olive than my previous generations! I'm soooo happy!

I've got several families with later hatches and they are all excited to hear about the eggs too. It makes me happy to hear my customers are happy with their birds and I love getting the pics and seeing them grow up. Somehow out of my black cochins I got one that is a steely grey! Wish I had known that one was going to be different.

I understand. When I sell chicks or hatching eggs to happy homes it makes me happy too.

I didn't realize I would be so happy with finding out how they grew up with other people. It's kind of neat, like sending these little missionaries out into the world to bring happiness and getting a letter back telling of all their good deeds. :) Though I doubt they are converting anyone to a different religion, but they are introducing them to chicken math. Lol

Send some of that rain this way please. If the cracks in our fields and runs get much larger we will be able to order Chinese take-out from Peking.

I hear what you are saying about the cracks. It looked liked our ground was buckling in places it was so dry. Fortunately for us we got 3 1/4" yesterday. I pray some of it comes your way today!

Can't believe a couple of months ago we were begging the rain to stop. It is like this all over out here. If they get much bigger we will have to be careful to not fall in..

Interesting you should talk about cracks.

When I was on the ranch -- one of the drought-related cracks in a field was large enough that a calf fell in (think of 300-350# baby)---and was trapped.

That drought dried up all 10 stock watering tanks on the ranch -- it was dreadful.

There was no hay to harvest to feed the cattle though the winter for a couple of years -- It had to be hauled in by 18-wheeler truck loads (we were feeding 22 bales per week back in those days.) Not only that, hay had to be purchased at a rate for as much as $125 for a 6' round bale. - since hay was so scarce and needed to be hauled in from farther away (i.e. land outside the drought) -

That drought is one reason -- because the overall USA cattle herd was sold off by ranchers who couldn't afford to feed their animals -- the size of the USA entire cattle heard (all the ranchers that raise cattle throughout the country) has shrunk.

Drought is so insidious because 1. it comes on slowly and 2. you are always hoping/praying/tihinking that it will end. It bakes the soil and the micro-organisms die off -- it is horrid. Those were wildfire years too -- that's when the Bastrop fire happened...and some local fires I smelled smoke (we were too far away from BastroP) -- and was trying to figure out how to protect and evacuate as many animals and chickens as possible (and back in those days I had far fewer chickens)

I know flood is also horrid also - at least you know when it is over. (til the next time) -- I have parts of my land here that had gone back to being dry-land -- by mid-July last year - but they are still underwater (a few inches)--- The parts are 'flood plain' in a sense and aren't used -- but the spring rains this year were sure healthy up here in the Piney Woods. --

Like someone else mentioned I was really GLAD to see the rains this week.... besides watering the woods -- it cooled the temperatures by 20-30-degrees.

Back
Top Bottom