Texas

wow Texans get ready for power outages!
http://ercot.com/content/cdr/contours/rtmLmp.html

It looks as if our power grid is under stress tonight.

We are at 7 degrees this morning. Nice.... -been a while since I can recall temps this low in North Texas. As far as energy companies/suppliers - they're on my list. -didn't even turn on the heat until well into December (as we had 70-80 degrees consistently), and set the thermostat at 68. (got an $87 bill for "estimated" usage between mid-Nov. and mid Dec. which was double the prior bill). -when confronted with charges that couldn't possibly be correct, they conceded that my meter wasn't actually read; however, there was no solution but to pay it. -neighbor's bill for "actual" usage was $45.

Anyway, I'll be turning on the heat lamps for the chickens in a few, and taking fresh water out to the coop. (and enjoying the 71 degrees indoors)

We are at 7 degrees this morning. Nice.... -been a while since I can recall temps this low in North Texas. As far as energy companies/suppliers - they're on my list. -didn't even turn on the heat until well into December (as we had 70-80 degrees consistently), and set the thermostat at 68. (got an $87 bill for "estimated" usage between mid-Nov. and mid Dec. which was double the prior bill). -when confronted with charges that couldn't possibly be correct, they conceded that my meter wasn't actually read; however, there was no solution but to pay it. -neighbor's bill for "actual" usage was $45.

Anyway, I'll be turning on the heat lamps for the chickens in a few, and taking fresh water out to the coop. (and enjoying the 71 degrees indoors)

Should it balance out once they get a real reading? That is, if their estimated reading is high that means the difference between that and the next reading will be very low.

Up here in Maryland, this winter has given me an appreciation for any day with temperatures above freezing. Yesterday was around 50 and I didn't even need a coat, it felt so wonderful. It reminded me of when I lived in Rhode Island and you pulled out your shorts once it hit 60 lol.

Moving back to the Gulf in July will take some getting used to. One thing I hated about Mississippi was the alligators but no one has mentioned them so far.

Yeah, no. They do not adjust the bills, here. I have started taking pics of the actual meter read on the cutoff date. (They apprised me that I could in fact do this, request an upload link which will appear for 48 hours, upload the pics of the meter reading, and this will serve as "proof" in the event of an estimation.) -would be nice if they actually read the meter each month. Our current reading will be very high as we have had abnormally low temps this month (for Texas).
I can relate to the 60 and shorts! The other day it was 58 and sunny, and I took a nice walk in short sleeves! :D The chickens sunbathed all stretched out in the unused portion of the garden, followed by a good hour of dusting!
-and as for summers, the chickens definitely do better in these cold temps than the 100+ heat that usually sets in about mid July. -already worried about my flock this coming summer as most of them will be in their 7th summer. -old gals.

Yeah, no. They do not adjust the bills, here. I have started taking pics of the actual meter read on the cutoff date. (They apprised me that I could in fact do this, request an upload link which will appear for 48 hours, upload the pics of the meter reading, and this will serve as "proof" in the event of an estimation.) -would be nice if they actually read the meter each month. Our current reading will be very high as we have had abnormally low temps this month (for Texas).
I can relate to the 60 and shorts! The other day it was 58 and sunny, and I took a nice walk in short sleeves! :D The chickens sunbathed all stretched out in the unused portion of the garden, followed by a good hour of dusting!
-and as for summers, the chickens definitely do better in these cold temps than the 100+ heat that usually sets in about mid July. -already worried about my flock this coming summer as most of them will be in their 7th summer. -old gals.

I didn't mean an adjustment. I mean for example:

November meter reading 10000
December meter reading 12500 but estimated at 14000 (actual usage 2500 but charged for 4000)
January meter reading 15000 (actual usage 2500 but charged for 1000). So in the end you get a high bill and a low bill but it all evens out.

We get some 100+ days here but for the most part stay in mid to high 90s. Humidity is high but the heat/humidity combo in Mississippi was certainly worse so i expect it will be in Corpus, too, though I hear it is breezy down there so maybe that helps.

My Lavender Ameraucana does not like the heat so I am most worried about her. I taught my turkey to wade in cool water to cool off so I will do the same with her and see if it helps.

Should it balance out once they get a real reading? That is, if their estimated reading is high that means the difference between that and the next reading will be very low.

Up here in Maryland, this winter has given me an appreciation for any day with temperatures above freezing. Yesterday was around 50 and I didn't even need a coat, it felt so wonderful. It reminded me of when I lived in Rhode Island and you pulled out your shorts once it hit 60 lol.

Moving back to the Gulf in July will take some getting used to. One thing I hated about Mississippi was the alligators but no one has mentioned them so far.

We were stationed in St Mary's County Maryland in the late 80's, early 90's. We loved it. Have you ever ate their stuffed ham? I had a local give me the recipe but it just didn't come out the same.

We often visit Corpus. I remember years ago complaining about the wind & a local said "you don't want the wind to stop, the mosquitos will eat you alive". He was right!

We were stationed in St Mary's County Maryland in the late 80's, early 90's. We loved it. Have you ever ate their stuffed ham? I had a local give me the recipe but it just didn't come out the same.

We often visit Corpus. I remember years ago complaining about the wind & a local said "you don't want the wind to stop, the mosquitos will eat you alive". He was right!
Yep that is a true statement regarding the wind and mosquitoes. It always amazes me how many are at the beach when I am beach combing for sea beans if you get back into the dunes and the wind calms a bit. You seriously can have 5-10 on you in a matter of moments.

:frow Howdy from frozen Rosenberg!! Congratulations on wanting to become chicken owners.

You have already made your first mistake. ;) You said 'I don't necessarily want 12 birds'. You haven't been introduced to chicken math, have you??? :D

You are in for a wonderful experience and your children will love it. My favorites are Speckled Sussex and Australorps. If you want colored eggs, get some EEs. They lay blue and green eggs.
I have 3 baby Australorps and EE mix breads. Curious if they will make green eggs.

https://houston.craigslist.org/for/d/xlarge-chicken-poultry-rabbit/6437703948.html
That is the coop I'm planning on getting, haven't bought it yet, so if it looks like it's no good please let me know.
That coop has about enough space to house 6 standard or 12-ish bantam chickens assuming they never get out of the coop (and are relatively docile, you're not going to want 6 leghorns in there). If you DO plan on letting the chickens out for at least part of the day almost every day, you can squeeze more in.

Chicken math is best explained with examples, so... "We use about 2-3 eggs per day on average so we need maybe 4 or 5 hens" turns into "Surely that count is wrong, there simply cannot be 60 birds here" in a year.

Now for the chicken breeds... oh the choices! I'm going to join the chorus of "mixed flock" voices, I'm pretty convinced that most home flocks should start with a sampler set.
My suggestions, in order of how friendly/personable/cuddly I have found mine (every bird is an individual, and a lot depends on how they're socialized):
Silkies - they're adorable, non-intimidating even to people who are unsure about birds, super friendly, and they lay bigger eggs than seems reasonable for their size.
Brahmas - they're big, docile, and friendly. They're probably the easiest chickens I have to pick up and hold on to, they actually seem to like it.
Marans - I have black, black copper, and a cuckoo marans. They're laid back and personable, and lay nice dark brown eggs (the black copper marans lay the darkest cocoa-brown egg).
Speckled sussex - I can't speak to the other color varieties, but the speckled sussex achieve almost turkey-like levels of being underfoot and into everything you're doing. For whatever reason, their color pattern doesn't seem as impressive in photos as it does in person, too - they're absolutely gorgeous.
Australorps - Very good layers and while not as in-your-face friendly as the ones above, they're sweet.
Something that lays a blue/green egg, they're so interesting and a great thing to show around. Easter eggers are relatively easy to obtain but more hit-and-miss with their personality than most breeds - I have a couple sweethearts and at least one who's convinced I'm going to kill her and the entire flock any minute. My cream legbars are pretty even-tempered but not super cuddly.
I have HEARD that the naked necks are quite friendly also, but I really can't get past their looks to find out for myself.

Back
Top Bottom