Texas

Happy to report my gorgeous guy went off with an animal loving Adult from Shady Shores, he's going to have a barn to call his own & own lovely flock of girls!! Sad to see him go but happy for a great ending for a guy who wasn't appreciated by a neighbor.
Congrats on finding a good home!
I'm new here! From Canyon, TX (neighbors to Amarillo) in the panhandle! I have a wyandotte and a buff orpington that are 18 weeks old and a 2 week old rhode island red!
:frow

I'm new here! From Canyon, TX (neighbors to Amarillo) in the panhandle! I have a wyandotte and a buff orpington that are 18 weeks old and a 2 week old rhode island red!
My RIR is my best layer. My wyandottes are about 15 weeks old.

We loved Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We heard hogs and coyotes and saw raccoon, horned toads, rattle snakes, and armadillos. A doe walked up to the campsite and let us hand feed her graham crackers while her fawn watched. We tent camped through a thunder storm on the first night. Each thunder would echo back and forth for 10 seconds on the canyon walls. My wife complained that my snoring kept her up. Good times.

In reference to the heat-tolerant breeds (pg. 4303), my Black Australorps have fared the best here in Central Texas, perhaps because they have combs and wattles to dissipate the heat. They are my favorite breed for a number of reasons.

My easter eggers tend to stress more (no wattles, no combs to speak of). All my girls have trouble when the humidity and heat both start to climb. I like summer for me, but I hate summer for my girls.

Deep shade, access to moist dirt/sand, several watering stations (shaded) scattered throughout their barnyard, and ice cubes in the waterers within their runs---these are the basics of my heat management. Box fans help, but I don't run them all night, to avoid potential barn fire risk. Also, keeping stress to a minimum.

Hey Texans:frow I was hoping someone up north might know someone who likes or love's Heelers. I had one recently ask me to take her off the street so I put her skinny bud up in the back of my Wrangler and took her home. This was Ester Friday this year. We have tracked down the prior person who "Rescued" her on 1-16-18(know her first name but not the forwarding address or else....). Anyhow she had litter of pups on the 17th 8 in all but we have no clue whatever happened there. I'm just north of the border(but really south) and see neglected animals on a daily basis.

We have an urgent need to rehome her to a responsible party, but a word of caution she killed my little free ranging flock(replacements are now 11 weeks and I want them outta jail). She isn't trouble at all but still has a strong play instinct. Current on all vaccinations and has her documents to prove it. Was HW pos but has been treated, we have neither neither spayed or micro chipped her at this point(waste of money if you might euthanize an animal). We are willing to drive 3-4 hours across Texas to meet you halfway if you have any interest. Texas Cattle Dog Rescue has been pointless before you suggest I try there, and she is not going to be adopted out to anywhere but San Antonio, or points north. We were supposed to take her north to Three Rivers Rest Stop for a lady from Kileen, TX. She is claimin' family emergency and can't take her tomorrow, she will call me as soon as she can....yeah phones gunna ring and if you can't take a dog and an emergency you might not have thought this through. Regardless, here's Ninja/Nene/Nina an Australian Shepherd(She is gunna be a good working dog for someone as she is eager to please).

nini 1.jpg
nini 2.jpg
nini 3.jpg

Told ya she's got smarts that cat would win!

Last edited:

We loved Palo Duro Canyon State Park. We heard hogs and coyotes and saw raccoon, horned toads, rattle snakes, and armadillos. A doe walked up to the campsite and let us hand feed her graham crackers while her fawn watched. We tent camped through a thunder storm on the first night. Each thunder would echo back and forth for 10 seconds on the canyon walls. My wife complained that my snoring kept her up. Good times.
I miss those horned toads from my childhood.So happy you got to seeone they are so rare now. They need Red Ants to survive. Dang fire ants ruined everything!

I'm new to this, living just outside Fort Worth, and our town just finally made it legal. So my daughter and I are reading up and learning. I see a lot about whether breeds are cold-hardy - I would think down here it'd be more of a concern of can they take the heat? What are good breeds for Texas? I was reading up on the black Australorps, but putting black animals outside in Texas sounds like heat misery.
My Black Australorp and Barred Plymouth Rock tolerate the heat very well. My big, fluffy Buff Orpingtons struggle with the heat. (-coop is under a large oak tree. I have two large fans in the coop, one side completely hardware cloth, and large windows on the other sides. The run has a fan and a mister. -also place frozen jugs inside the waterers to keep them cool. I think that providing them with shade, good ventilation, and cool water helps a lot, though, regardless of breed.)

That sounds like a great time! It's fun to hear stories of people visiting, we go hiking every Saturday in the Canyon and it's never boring!

Back
Top Bottom