Texas

Does anyone know what plant this might be? I scored it from my neighbor. It air layers nicely and his tolerated temps down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The bush does drop its flowers at those temperatures. It seems to stay in constant bloom and air layers nicely to propagate.

View attachment 2034628
Kinda hard to tell by the pic but its either hummingbird vine or trumpet vine.

I live in Dallas, but want to move to atleast a half acre so I can start rescuing animals etc. Where is someplace that's cheap
you can't get much cheaper than Cameron, Wiillacy or Hidalgo counties. The 20 acre spread right behind my house with a very well-built Barn with an upstairs efficiency apartment and a single wide on it as well sold for $188000. Plus you get all the benefits of living in fake Mexico! 😜 just don't be under any false impressions that you're employable down here if you haven't already secured your retirement.

Edit my wife says this a 40-acre spread and fenced.

This is a shrub it's definitely not a vine the neighbors has been in the ground for about six months and it's now 5 feet tall and about a fourfoot spread
They are called a vine eventhough they are not vines. They grow more like a shrub or a small tree. Hummingbird vines bloom from December to this time of year here in South Texas, the trumpet vines bloom in summer...or at least the ones I have do!
Can you take another pic, close up of the leaves, that will tell the tale.

They are called a vine eventhough they are not vines. They grow more like a shrub or a small tree. Hummingbird vines bloom from December to this time of year here in South Texas, the trumpet vines bloom in summer...or at least the ones I have do!
Can you take another pic, close up of the leaves, that will tell the tale.
IMG_20200225_105713114.jpg IMG_20200225_105708405.jpg IMG_20200225_105707420.jpg

Here they are it is a bit windy so hope one of these pictures came out well of the leaves.

The tires aren't a white trash thing they're going to be used to hold the moisture in when I water. It's getting transplanted once the root mass is dry enough.

View attachment 2035563View attachment 2035564View attachment 2035565

Here they are it is a bit windy so hope one of these pictures came out well of the leaves.

The tires aren't a white trash thing they're going to be used to hold the moisture in when I water. It's getting transplanted once the root mass is dry enough.
Yep, hummingbird vine. If you really don't want it, then get rid of it if you can. I have dug, burned, round-up and cussed it to death but it keeps coming back...ya can't kill the stuff and it spreads faster than a fire ant colony. Spreads faster and worse than bamboo. Pretty flowers but not worth the head ache.

The tires aren't a white trash thing they're going to be used to hold the moisture in when I water. It's getting transplanted once the root mass is dry enough. You mean a mosquito factory! :lau

Yep, hummingbird vine. If you really don't want it, then get rid of it if you can. I have dug, burned, round-up and cussed it to death but it keeps coming back...ya can't kill the stuff and it spreads faster than a fire ant colony. Spreads faster and worse than bamboo. Pretty flowers but not worth the head ache.

The tires aren't a white trash thing they're going to be used to hold the moisture in when I water. It's getting transplanted once the root mass is dry enough. You mean a mosquito factory! :lau
Yeah if I didn't have holes drilled in the sidewalls for sure. my mosquito factory is about to be converted into some type of water feature here on the property we have an above ground pool that I don't feel like putting back in service. I'm thinking I'll stick some black mollies in there and some type of aquatic vegetation for all of our toads and frogs. I know I really don't want to make a duck pond even though I've got the filtration for it.

IMG_20200225_142416628.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom