Texas

This was my science highlight for the day. https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-osiris-rex-spacecraft-successfully-touches-asteroid It looks like all went well. Now we are waiting on the math to see if they got their 60+ grams of material to return to earth. Or if they need to try their 2 additional attempts at collection. Of course I did the full on geek out and watched 45 minutes of NASA's livestream. The Japanese flew through a cometary tail but we tagged a small asteroid.

Last edited:
Maybe rain? we need Rain badly.
Worked on coop. I don't feel good about it yet.
That dog shook my confidence. Repaired the hole with 1 inch plywood and reattached the hardware cloth.
We just finished wrapping entire coop and run with 2x4 welded wire, now for trim pieces with 1 3/4 inch screws.
Work in process.
Life is good.

Hello there from the Houston area! We have a farm in East Texas where our chickens are. A mix of old English bantam, buff Orpington and a few Easter Egger for the fun of it. And my favorite ducks 😀
East Texas is awesome - especially the further you get away from Houston. I'm in-between New Waverly & Coldspring. LOVE the lack of traffic and noise. (and people <g>)
I keep thinking about getting some ducks to go with my chickens & turkeys. My brain keeps getting hung up on the water requirement and how to work with that.

East Texas is awesome - especially the further you get away from Houston. I'm in-between New Waverly & Coldspring. LOVE the lack of traffic and noise. (and people <g>)
I keep thinking about getting some ducks to go with my chickens & turkeys. My brain keeps getting hung up on the water requirement and how to work with that.
Just install a water feature. Otherwise you will be cleaning pools and puddles twice a day. A flowing water feature being better than a stagnant, algae choked, mosquito farm.
Best wishes!

I have several Roosters that I need to rehome, all have been hand raised, or hatched and raised. Different breeds, sizes, colors, ages and personalities. I will take pictures tomorrow to post, with more information on each Roo. I live in Alvarado, Texas which is about 45 minutes south of Fort Worth. Willing to drive an hour for the right new home for each of these guys. They are my babies, but I simply cannot keep them all. Mother nature was very cruel this year, more roos (twice as many) than pullets. *sigh*

I have several Roosters that I need to rehome, all have been hand raised, or hatched and raised. Different breeds, sizes, colors, ages and personalities. I will take pictures tomorrow to post, with more information on each Roo. I live in Alvarado, Texas which is about 45 minutes south of Fort Worth. Willing to drive an hour for the right new home for each of these guys. They are my babies, but I simply cannot keep them all. Mother nature was very cruel this year, more roos (twice as many) than pullets. *sigh*
Yep my straight run Blue Sumatra(Cackle) seems to be sexually oriented towards almost an all male flock. I think I have 1 pullet out of 5/6(June 3rd hatch). I think I was duped. No matter I have a bachelor pad built out and they can get segregated. No clue on where the Hurricane Hanna hatch of silkies sit yet(sexually), but they are at most getting 1 silkie roo left out to a free range situation soon after my sumatra make it through their hormonal stage in spring. Fortunately, 3 years into this hobby and having a mature flock of bossy hens they are going to know their place around my family and the flock once those cockerels are mature. The non keepers for me go to craigslist or the bachelor pads but I was annoyed trying to sleep through all of the crowing this morning.

Pumpkin *update* almost got run over by the lawnmower again today brooding rocks this time. I guess that silkie doesn't appreciate keeping her wings intact. Oh well got plenty of lidocaine and blue-kote on hand this time provided nothing important is hacked off. I am getting really comfortable with silkie natural selection now.

Last edited:
Yep my straight run Blue Sumatra(Cackle) seems to be sexually oriented towards almost an all male flock. I think I have 1 pullet out of 5/6(June 3rd hatch). I think I was duped. No matter I have a bachelor pad built out and they can get segregated. No clue on where the Hurricane Hanna hatch of silkies sit yet(sexually), but they are at most getting 1 silkie roo left out to a free range situation soon after my sumatra make it through their hormonal stage in spring. Fortunately, 3 years into this hobby and having a mature flock of bossy hens they are going to know their place around my family and the flock once those cockerels are mature. The non keepers for me go to craigslist or the bachelor pads but I was annoyed trying to sleep through all of the crowing this morning.

Pumpkin *update* almost got run over by the lawnmower again today brooding rocks this time. I guess that silkie doesn't appreciate keeping her wings intact. Oh well got plenty of lidocaine and blue-kote on hand this time provided nothing important is hacked off. I am getting really comfortable with silkie natural selection now.
My first hatch: 6 roos and 2 pullets... I really need to sharpen my wing sexing skills... I thought I only had 2 roos. Roflmao 🤣😂

Back
Top Bottom