Texas

Hello! I got 7 pullets from Ideal Poultry, they were born on February 23rd. Two of them ended up being cockerels. I have a Welsummer and a Easter Egger that I would like to rehome. The Easter Egger will peck my feet sometimes and I am addressing that behavior. The Welsummer hasn’t pecked me or anything. I would like these cockerels to go to a good home and will not be culled. If I can’t rehome them I will have to cull them, I would rather cull them myself than give them to someone else who would cull them. I am in Central Texas. View attachment 3085029View attachment 3085032
Here's my previous post about my cockerels. I'll post updated photos of them in a bit.

Looking for an EE Cockerel in Central TX.

My DH has convinced me we need a rooster. I have 12 pullets, (ISA Brown, unknown colored egg layers, and Barnevelders) ten are 5 weeks and two are 3 weeks. So I will want to find something similar age to integrate (all advice on that also welcome here). Preferably an EE but might take a Barnevelder. And I know we might need to wait until they are a little older to know for sure what you have is a Roo.

I am near Temple (between Austin and Waco). Feel free to reply here or PM me. Thanks!
Aannnnnnddddd, a local (to you, sorta) just replied…

@electrycmonk Thanks for the tag. I know I don't "need" a rooster fur several months. But my understanding is it is easier to integrate them when young. But zi am a complete noob so not sure how true that is.

@Tookie is the EE the speckled one? He looks really pretty. I might be interested. What are you doing about the pecking? Most of our chicks like to peck at my husband's feet. I think the are telling him it's time to empty the DynaTrap again do they can eat all the bugs. 😅

@Tookie is the EE the speckled one? He looks really pretty. I might be interested. What are you doing about the pecking? Most of our chicks like to peck at my husband's feet. I think the are telling him it's time to empty the DynaTrap again do they can eat all the bugs. 😅
I'll post the pics after this post. He seemed to be aggressively pecking my feet, and when he would do that I would pin him to the ground and sort of gently poke the back of his neck with my finger to show him who's boss and now he doesn't peck me anymore. I don't what age would be best to give away my EE.

Here’s the EE.
A15391D1-608A-466C-B075-FC161F911187.jpeg

@electrycmonk Thanks for the tag. I know I don't "need" a rooster fur several months. But my understanding is it is easier to integrate them when young. But zi am a complete noob so not sure how true that is.

There is an impressive article written entirely about Roo’s.
I have it saved in my “favorites” but, can’t recall how to copy & paste in here right now… I’m already having a headache editing-cut-n-pasting this reply….

I still see myself as a “newbie” with chickens. The “training wheels” are still on.; in my view of self. These “training wheels” - as I see them - are this forum in the big picture & the WEB -fit-large; several specific users I have gotten to know rather nicely over the last 3 years.

I have raised 3 generations now.

a) our first batch of TSC and local Feed Mill hatchlings
b) our 1st attempt at letting broody hatch out was a hard lesson. Wry-neck. I have a thread documenting the tag-team Silkie Momma’s.
c) our 2nd attempt was of similar struggle thanks to Freeze-magenden!
d) chickens not raised together need to be quarantined for typically 30 days before being near one-another, in separate spaces. Then, while the next stage of being able to see each other allows the to be separated by a crate or fence for something like several weeks.

So now I have 3 generation of hens and Roo’s.

I’ve lost several chickens now to different issues. Again, I have threads for almost all of this “learning curve.” As to allowing the Roo to adjust to the hens & vice versa…. I’ve felt the best is the use of a large dog crate for the Roo(s) to be in for several days, to several weeks. Then I’ll let thebRoo(s) out to be in the rest of the run with the hens for “x amount of time.” Think of it like recess. Each recess will get longer & longer over days and weeks. Depends on the Roo’s actions.

Oddly enough, right now I have several Roo’s in crates to give the hens a break and the Roo(s) get to cool their heels.

They have been in the dog crates for about 6 days now. I figure they will be in them for at least another week. I still have a few things to do before I can put the Roo’s back in their Batchelor pad. And the one Roo’s in his own crate because the henna needed a break and the other “nicer & 1 year older Roo” also needed a break from the harassment.

Everyone has their practice and thoughts…. Now, you can peek into my “mental attic” via the threads I have referenced above and get a better view of how I’m doing things.

I am still learning a lot! I know I will still make mistakes. Life is a long road of learning - all along the way.

Okay. Good night.

Hello! I’m in Dallas, Texas.

The hatchery messed up and didn’t process my cancellation. I have five chicks coming but I’m full up - even my brooder is full of older chicks. If you can provide a loving home and pick up in Dallas, they’re yours for free. Details in attachment :)

Attachments

• 833A85E8-F5A9-4E5F-978E-7411EC851C3E.jpeg
    833A85E8-F5A9-4E5F-978E-7411EC851C3E.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
Hello! I’m in Dallas, Texas.

The hatchery messed up and didn’t process my cancellation. I have five chicks coming but I’m full up - even my brooder is full of older chicks. If you can provide a loving home and pick up in Dallas, they’re yours for free. Details in attachment :)
I’ll PM you.

Back
Top Bottom