Texas

Rain, rain, go away,
Little Nutty wants to play.

I could also go for a nap, but the day is young.

The Silkie chick is ridiculous. Half the size of the real chicken chicks. Is this normal? Are they a fake, miniature version? Didn't see the parents, but the egg was small.

I figure I'll keep it until it's large enough to integrate, but will it ever really be large enough? Still don't know if it's a boy or girl. The others are starting to differentiate. Boys are larger and the combs are pinkening. Unofficial guess, 2 boys, 3 girls and a silkie. Which means it's a boy.

I’ve been dealing with bad insomnia for over 30 years (since my tour of duty working 2nd shift/3rd shift/2nd shift over 3 years…and normalized 3hrs sleep per day from 9am-ish until 1PM at the absolute latest…..
I worked graveyard shift (10 p.m.-7a.m.) 14 years. I guess that part of my no night sleep issues. It's gotten worse since I got older/quit work.

Rain, rain, go away,
Little Nutty wants to play.

I could also go for a nap, but the day is young.

The Silkie chick is ridiculous. Half the size of the real chicken chicks. Is this normal? Are they a fake, miniature version? Didn't see the parents, but the egg was small.

I figure I'll keep it until it's large enough to integrate, but will it ever really be large enough? Still don't know if it's a boy or girl. The others are starting to differentiate. Boys are larger and the combs are pinkening. Unofficial guess, 2 boys, 3 girls and a silkie. Which means it's a boy.
I've never had a silkie. It seems like they are the hardest to identify as male or female.
I worked graveyard shift (10 p.m.-7a.m.) 14 years. I guess that part of my no night sleep issues. It's gotten worse since I got older/quit work.
Like wise, I worked evenings and nights for so long that it turned my children into night owls also. I generally preferred nights because the office people always had so much drama. (Of course the pay differential was a good incentive too.)

I've never had a silkie. It seems like they are the hardest to identify as male or female.

Like wise, I worked evenings and nights for so long that it turned my children into night owls also. I generally preferred nights because the office people always had so much drama. (Of course the pay differential was a good incentive too.)
Yep. Night shift was quieter and we cleaned up the day shift "challenges".

Back to days. Normal sleeping schedule. More drama. DST still sucks eggs.

What possessed you to get a fake chicken?

What possessed you to get a fake chicken?
The friend, who gives me hatching eggs, was silkie sitting and they left her a single, filthy, shit covered egg. She decided it needed hatching. I asked for more so as to not hatch a single, but got a crap answer. So I took some of her flock eggs for company.

She will get the silkie chick returned with an age appropriate companion. If a cockerel, I'll probably eat him.

So I didn't get a fake chicken. I'm returning a favor. And getting meat birds. The meat birds are short supply again this year and rumors of destroying avian flu flocks are blamed for the egg prices, which have been loss leaders for years.

May sell the pullets. Backyard surprises. She runs a mixed flock for eggs and pretty. This batch is white mostly. Red/pink highlights. They got some chickens from the slaughter house for eggs. I'm thinking they might be a red broiler. Giving me some fat chicks and huge eggs.

I don't keep a rooster. They do.

I have yet to have a Silkie reach laying age. They always kill themselves. Unless it's a rooster. They live forever, and hate me.
define "forever"

We give attitude adjustments. Usually in a pot of gumbo.

Same friend had a Ayam rooster, that developed a hatred of her. Father of most of my flock, come to think of it. He was delicious. Three of his offspring have cycled through her flock. Current rooster is all white and gorgeous. May have a touch of game because he has some nice spurs. A true gentleman with the hens.

define "forever"
The last one I had was a wretched little thing. He used to attack me, so I'd pick him up so I wouldn't step on him by mistake. Then he started biting and not letting go. That was worse them him kind of flogging me because, honestly, Silkies can't see, so they are ridiculous. So then I used to bring an extra bucket, and I'd just trap him under it while I was in the pen working. Finally, I took him to sell. He was like the third bird that sold. They asked if he was sweet. I laughed and said to everyone but me. They send me pictures of him still. He runs across the yard to meet them and climbs in their lap for cuddles. -_-

The last one I had was a wretched little thing. He used to attack me, so I'd pick him up so I wouldn't step on him by mistake. Then he started biting and not letting go. That was worse them him kind of flogging me because, honestly, Silkies can't see, so they are ridiculous. So then I used to bring an extra bucket, and I'd just trap him under it while I was in the pen working. Finally, I took him to sell. He was like the third bird that sold. They asked if he was sweet. I laughed and said to everyone but me. They send me pictures of him still. He runs across the yard to meet them and climbs in their lap for cuddles. -_-
You obviously traumatized him someway. Not enough treats, maybe? :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom