Texas

Hi all! Took a brief hiatus from chicken keeping due to health issues that have since resolved (fingers crossed, for good!). I'm sad that I had to rehome my entire flock back in July, but they went to 11 acres outside of Sanger. Not too shabby! So, I'm back at it with some new chicks. I couldn't resist those little cochin faces at Atwoods! The new flock is only 9 and consists of 1 black cochin, 2 white cochin, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 easter eggers, and 2 black giants.

Hi all! Took a brief hiatus from chicken keeping due to health issues that have since resolved (fingers crossed, for good!). I'm sad that I had to rehome my entire flock back in July, but they went to 11 acres outside of Sanger. Not too shabby! So, I'm back at it with some new chicks. I couldn't resist those little cochin faces at Atwoods! The new flock is only 9 and consists of 1 black cochin, 2 white cochin, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 2 easter eggers, and 2 black giants.
Welcome back!

Rain, rain, go away,
Little Nutty wants to play.

I could also go for a nap, but the day is young.

The Silkie chick is ridiculous. Half the size of the real chicken chicks. Is this normal? Are they a fake, miniature version? Didn't see the parents, but the egg was small.

I figure I'll keep it until it's large enough to integrate, but will it ever really be large enough? Still don't know if it's a boy or girl. The others are starting to differentiate. Boys are larger and the combs are pinkening. Unofficial guess, 2 boys, 3 girls and a silkie. Which means it's a boy.
See my hatchlings threads. The silkies are noticeably smaller all along…

And in the usual surprise weather forecast… here’s the next batch:

5CBF1B16-93EB-48E5-A056-2081587FD374.jpeg

And the morning hours tomorrow:

F3B0EDAE-0C7E-4970-8E9F-48AEE38E1C4C.jpeg

Restaining my porch. I have come to a conclusion.
I HATE PAINTING!
Dare I ask are you doing it with brush or roller?

Or….. via Wagner power painter?

I will say, hands down it was a game changer for me. Clean up has been *almost* a snap.

Yes, I also have been VERY Alert to wind speed and direction for “overspray droplets.”
Butidigress…

From open garage door this time around to putting up the cleaned tools was just under 2 hours a little over a week ago, on one evening - right before sunset.

Open garage
Shake up cans
Get tools out and extension cord ready
Test sprayer
Fill up with primer
Spray disk and blades 1st (to dry quicker I added a wee bit of acetone in the sprayer, far from exacting measurements)
Refilled and primered the underside of the shredders deck.
At this point it had been about 45 minutes.
Cleaned and prepared for the white paint.

Paint disk and blades took about 10-15 minutes (this also got a wee bit of acetone in the paint sprayer jug to quicken the drying time)
Spray, spray & spray a little more; once tacky dry I moved or rotated to finish that 1st coat.

Get a little creative on how to support the blades and disk for the final layer of paint…

Paint them and then clean up everything…

0169E818-9D4D-401F-BDBB-FD08D7B6848B.jpeg

A6D77E91-43B9-4CC8-993E-0C92CF375A63.jpeg

FD2394EE-558B-4A69-8AC2-99180EBF0DF9.jpeg

673A07D7-7E71-4E18-A66F-62B2FE202729.jpeg

Now is this perfect work? Nope. Is it solid coverage for stopping rust and maintaining longevity? Sure! You see I started this like all other projects. Prepare the space to work.
Then disassemble and pressure wash the bejebuss outta it. Get it as clean as possible.
Then, I broke out the grinder wheel with wire brush to quickly knock off the rust flakes and crude stuck in lumps. Then I used this amazing green water based metal conditioner (it’s a phosphoric ingredient) that’s biodegradable. Spray it on & let dry over night. Then it’s ready for primer and paint.
It sat for a couple days before I was able to paint it.

This Wagner unit is what we used to paint and white-wash the coop and run (with the lime mix) the last few times as well! Such a wonderful tool. The current models are retrial about $200 for the kit. On sale maybe you can find one for $140-165????

I can say there are pix of Kiddo & I white-washing the coop a year or two ago in the coop thread. At least I think I put them in that thread?

It’s a very forgiving tool. Especially with water based paints and stains!

My first test run with it was with a can of just water on a sheet of plywood leaned up against the flatbed trailer. I wanted to see how it felt and to also see how much of a tilt I was able to put it in to still “paint” a surface.

It was very, very forgiving.

Restaining my porch. I have come to a conclusion.
I HATE PAINTING!
Here is a little before & during from the deck I pressure washed last fall. It had gone a decade since it was built and this washing.

1st I had a few planks that definitely needed replacement. So I had some leftover lumber for this project that had been stacked on the side in great condition so I cut it for the pie slices in these couple pictures. 6C3DABD5-780B-4B22-8059-F3E7C90973A5.jpeg

3BE4B611-A7E1-4A92-B2FF-9FE647503EBD.jpeg

Now for the pressure washer effect:

99B716B8-098E-4DF8-86EF-F4852B73E56B.jpeg 9E476D76-2B47-4CDD-9B6B-7BC73B99CE45.jpeg

C4B07321-06D4-489F-B5B8-7A200F4EF99C.jpeg

Note the difference a single swipe did to the decade or moss/mold buildup?

Here is almost finished…

84F02B92-4DC9-43F4-ABDF-535F9D53F951.jpeg

9B54D4AA-BC4F-4DA6-9E7C-8E10DB55D40B.jpeg

Saved A LOT of physical effort on my back and rest of the body.

Psi washer spec’s? Plug in electric from Lowe’s. That green works model that does 1800PSI does VERY stout & I truthfully do not see the benefits of the 2300PSI for the price jump!

I did try out the 1300-1500psi setups. NOPE!
Waste of time & water!

Psi washer for the vehicles (especially during the winter when they spray that salt slurry on the freeways! Being originally from Michigan, I am painfully aware of living in the “rust belt.”

Routinely taking the family cars to the self serve car washes in the winter and spring to thoroughly get as much salt from Off the under carriage to slow the salt death of the vehicles…..

Dare I ask are you doing it with brush or roller?

Or….. via Wagner power painter?

I will say, hands down it was a game changer for me. Clean up has been *almost* a snap.

Yes, I also have been VERY Alert to wind speed and direction for “overspray droplets.”
Butidigress…

From open garage door this time around to putting up the cleaned tools was just under 2 hours a little over a week ago, on one evening - right before sunset.

Open garage
Shake up cans
Get tools out and extension cord ready
Test sprayer
Fill up with primer
Spray disk and blades 1st (to dry quicker I added a wee bit of acetone in the sprayer, far from exacting measurements)
Refilled and primered the underside of the shredders deck.
At this point it had been about 45 minutes.
Cleaned and prepared for the white paint.

Paint disk and blades took about 10-15 minutes (this also got a wee bit of acetone in the paint sprayer jug to quicken the drying time)
Spray, spray & spray a little more; once tacky dry I moved or rotated to finish that 1st coat.

Get a little creative on how to support the blades and disk for the final layer of paint…

Paint them and then clean up everything…

View attachment 3443477

View attachment 3443479

View attachment 3443474

View attachment 3443476

Now is this perfect work? Nope. Is it solid coverage for stopping rust and maintaining longevity? Sure! You see I started this like all other projects. Prepare the space to work.
Then disassemble and pressure wash the bejebuss outta it. Get it as clean as possible.
Then, I broke out the grinder wheel with wire brush to quickly knock off the rust flakes and crude stuck in lumps. Then I used this amazing green water based metal conditioner (it’s a phosphoric ingredient) that’s biodegradable. Spray it on & let dry over night. Then it’s ready for primer and paint.
It sat for a couple days before I was able to paint it.

This Wagner unit is what we used to paint and white-wash the coop and run (with the lime mix) the last few times as well! Such a wonderful tool. The current models are retrial about $200 for the kit. On sale maybe you can find one for $140-165????

I can say there are pix of Kiddo & I white-washing the coop a year or two ago in the coop thread. At least I think I put them in that thread?

It’s a very forgiving tool. Especially with water based paints and stains!

My first test run with it was with a can of just water on a sheet of plywood leaned up against the flatbed trailer. I wanted to see how it felt and to also see how much of a tilt I was able to put it in to still “paint” a surface.

It was very, very forgiving.
Butidigress...isn't he a politician? (Yes. Sorry, that's what I got from that.)

Butidigress...isn't he a politician? (Yes. Sorry, that's what I got from that.)
Actually it’s a user ID of someone I only knew “online” over 20 years ago & lost contact with them when I graduated…. That ID disappeared not long afterwards….

So, perhaps it might be “a politician” in some story or book? :idunno

Back
Top Bottom