Théo and the chickens des Sauches

I am stupidly feeling really bad about it to the point of having stupid nightmares 🤔.
:eek::eek:
Be happy for him, for having more girls of his own.
Be happy for your older hens for a more peaceful life.
Be happy for yourself knowing this is the best.

I visited my older brother yesterday who lives in a village in the South of NL. He made a coop and run last summer and bought 4 laying hybrids at Pol. Now he has 4 eggs each day. This is what many BYC-keepers choose in the Netherlands.

The 4 hens all look the same. Like Blanche but with more white feathers between the brown. His chickens and run are very different from mine.
Advised him to plant a few bushes for shelter, and birds of prey. The fence is not safe at all for foxes or dogs. Just enough hight to keep the chickens inside. On the other hand, they have a lot of run space. About 10x15 meters.
Forgot to take a photo 😔.

I'm sure you're doing the right thing with Pied Beau, much as it pains you.

Every time you post I want to reply with comments on a pretty chicken - but then each picture has chickens more pretty than the previous one.
But, because we won't see him so much (maybe you will visit) I will say that I think Pied Beau is a really stunning looking bird.
The person taking him is very lucky to get him.

:eek::eek:
Be happy for him, for having more girls of his own.
Be happy for your older hens for a more peaceful life.
Be happy for yourself knowing this is the best.
Thank you for being kind and understanding.
I know it's the right solution since we are not ready to have another separate flock and I always knew we would re-home him at best. I am still feeling sad, and a bit worried for him (so is my partner although he is relieved that we don't have to keep watching him anymore). I am just too angsty and sloppy for chicken keeping !
I visited my older brother yesterday who lives in a village in the South of NL. He made a coop and run last summer and bought 4 laying hybrids at Pol. Now he has 4 eggs each day. This is what many BYC-keepers choose in the Netherlands.

The 4 hens all look the same. Like Blanche but with more white feathers between the brown. His chickens and run are very different from mine.
Advised him to plant a few bushes for shelter, and birds of prey. The fence is not safe at all for foxes or dogs. Just enough hight to keep the chickens inside. On the other hand, they have a lot of run space. About 10x15 meters.
Forgot to take a photo 😔.
It doesn't sound so bad. Maybe after a while, he will be willing to upgrade his fencing-that is what we did with our small run. Or since it is very big, he could make only a part of it secure for when he isn't at home ?
Many people choose the hybrids to begin with without realising that many will likely have reproductive issue and die young. Once they know what they are dealing with, I think some people do things differently the next time.

I am just too angsty and sloppy for chicken keeping
What nonsense. You are a wonderful chicken tender - like all of us you worry and are on a learning curve - but you are a keen observer of them and you care about their well being. I think your chickens are lucky to have you to care for them.

What nonsense. You are a wonderful chicken tender - like all of us you worry and are on a learning curve - but you are a keen observer of them and you care about their well being. I think your chickens are lucky to have you to care for them.
Yes.

Also few people can provide such a wonderful place for chickens to live. I can't.

You are absolutely right @RoyalChick.
What I have been reading for over a year now, is a commitment for the chickens, that is exceptional. Sometimes its heartbreaking to read about all the worries and not being able to give Manue a big hug and the to say it’s okay to do things with mistakes. We all do.

@Manue, I have made mistakes too. Recently the worst was the stupidity to let the 2 young pullets free range without actual supervision. I made more mistakes I’m not proud of. But when such things happen I always tell to myself, these are chickens. No more, no less. And I think its great that we give them a descent life for as long as possible within our self created boundaries.

Your boundaries in caring are special and different from mine. I dont think I will go to a vet to rescue a sick chicken, like you did. I don’t like to spend 100 euro for a vet visit and risking (s)he want to give antibiotics for an unknown problem. I do respect people like you, who do. I just try to give mine a happy life, healthy food and if it goes wrong, I take my loss.

My brother claimed there are no foxes where he lives. But I doubt this, because there are foxes seen in a nearby town.
Tell him I once said the same thing and ended up with 3 dead hens from a fox raid. And my fence was 2 metres high (the foxes dug under the fence). He may not realise how far foxes will travel from home when searching for food.

My brother claimed there are no foxes where he lives. But I doubt this, because there are foxes seen in a nearby town.
Foxes are everywhere. They are exceptionally adaptable and thrive even in inner cities.
Last year the British press were obsessed with the Downing Street cat seeing off a fox.

Back
Top Bottom