Théo and the chickens des Sauches

I've not seen anything like that before; did you take a photo you could share? Glad to hear she is fine despite it.
I did take a picture.

20240204_094127.jpg

We havent seen a movie in the cinema since last summer. It was Oppenheimer. Good movie. But I have seen better ones in the past. Liked Intouchables very much. And A beautiful mind too. Have both dvd’s
We often watch movies on Netflix or streaming from our national / commercial Dutch TV.
Liked this one; The age of Adeline.
I dont read a lot of literature anymore nowadays. Seem to need something easier to read with some suspense. Last year I have been reading Ridleys ‘ 7 sisters’ books. A mix of interesting (sort of historic), romantic, over the top lifestyles and beauty but I stayed curious while reading.

I like to play ‘Ticket to ride’ and especially Rails and sails’ :
View attachment 3740330
Thanks for all the recommendations ! I don't know any of those apart from intouchables which I haven't really felt like watching. I'll look them up. I'm sure my partner would enjoy a beautiful mind.
I never heard of this band before. I like it but miss the subtitles. ;)
I found a link with subtitles. Not a good translation, but it's a difficult text as it's rather poetic and surrealist.
It reminds me of
Jaques Brel, from Flandre.
I'm ashamed to say that a bit like Hergé we totally appropriate Brel and even forget he wasn't french ! He had such a huge influence on the french music scene and definitely on that band, yes.
My favourite song of his is less well known, it's the music for the film "Un roi sans divertissement" , a king without distraction, after the book by Giono. Taken from philosopher Pascal "A king with no entertainment is a man full of misery". Great book, good film, good song.
They reminded me of Beirut, mainly because of the diverse analogue instruments.

In the sense of modern rock with a big band behind ! But Beirut is much closer to balkan bands I think.
One of the best concert I ever saw was Kusturica and the no smoking orchestra. Whatever one thinks of his opinions.
:D:D:lau
--------------------------

What you said about changing makes me realize that I also need a notebook to record chicken events.
I think I am going to go the old school way too. I'd like to find a US type notebook, here notebooks are made for cursive writing, they have many small lines and squares.
1707136694748.png

Today Honey laid something bad :-( It is kinda like a lash egg, but then you can sort of see it was a smashed up egg... She is acting completely fine before and after.
Like Perris said ! But this does look like lash material to me ?
When my hens laid bits of rotten eggs that had staid for too long inside it looked more like cooked yolk, I think.
I hope she will be fine. Those reproductive issues are terrible things. Has she been laying regularly these days or is it something out of the blue ?

I did take a picture.

She must have been bleeding inside. Poor girl.

And thanks Manue for both subtitled versions. ❤️
Most of the time my French is okay to do some shoppings and to order in a restaurant. But surely not for literature or poems.

Like Perris said ! But this does look like lash material to me ?
When my hens laid bits of rotten eggs that had staid for too long inside it looked more like cooked yolk, I think.
I hope she will be fine. Those reproductive issues are terrible things. Has she been laying regularly these days or is it something out of the blue ?
Honey had infection already Aug/Sep of 2023. She survived with Baytril.

I think about a month after that, she went back to lay semi-normally, with not strong shells. She sort of stopped in winter, but she kept acting like she was laying.

But now I am thinking she probably did lay some bad eggs in the coop/run when we thought she was pretending.

She is a tough cookie for sure. She is almost 3 years old. She is a super sweety. She is also the most active of all hens, very alert of where the good stuff is, very good at stealing.

Honey
20231126_133320.jpg

Honey had infection already Aug/Sep of 2023. She survived with Baytril.

I think about a month after that, she went back to lay semi-normally, with not strong shells. She sort of stopped in winter, but she kept acting like she was laying.

But now I am thinking she probably did lay some bad eggs in the coop/run when we thought she was pretending.

She is a tough cookie for sure. She is almost 3 years old. She is a super sweety. She is also the most active of all hens, very alert of where the good stuff is, very good at stealing.

Honey
View attachment 3741015

Honey laid another screwed up egg today. :-( There is some egg white in it after opening up.

She is still behaving well. Poor Honey. We have been giving her calcium citrate tablets.
Yes, I remember her story.
You often read that with reproductive diseases the chicken can get a remission but not totally heal😔. I guess the infection is just a symptom, and not the actual cause. But I think a remission of a few months or more than half a year in her case, is totally worth it.
I've also been amazed at how tough these layers are. I don't know if one can say they are fighters, or if it's because they make the most of every moment they have, or because they learn to deal with it the best they can. But they certainly never give up before their bodies really can't take it anymore.
I hope Honey can deal with it again 💚. Hopefully getting these out will help her deal with the infection. And she seems to be a strong character, which should be an asset.

It's a thing I've wondered about with those hens that keep going in the nests like they are going to lay, but don't. First, I thought it was pretense. Then when both Cannelle and Brune did it and got infections I thought it was a sure sign of disease. Then, after that I also saw chickens doing it but not really showing certain signs of being unwell. Like Kara, who doesn't seem to be ill although she had issues laying. So I'm not sure how worrying it should be.

Do people who have heritage or cross chickens have ever noticed this behaviour without it being at all a sign of a health issue ?

It's a thing I've wondered about with those hens that keep going in the nests like they are going to lay, but don't. First, I thought it was pretense. Then when both Cannelle and Brune did it and got infections I thought it was a sure sign of disease. Then, after that I also saw chickens doing it but not really showing certain signs of being unwell. Like Kara, who doesn't seem to be ill although she had issues laying. So I'm not sure how worrying it should be.

Do people who have heritage or cross chickens have ever noticed this behaviour without it being at all a sign of a health issue ?
My bantams go in a nest to lay an egg or because they went broody.
And in the past Janice went there to sleep because she was harassed at roosting time.

I can’t say for sure for other reasons because I don’t monitor them very often.
If they want to rest they like to roost or hide under the laurel bush. And if they are free ranging they like to sit on a sort of bench in front of the window in the living room.
IMG_3333.jpeg

I have hens that do it sometimes, but it's not really possible to say it's not connected with a health issue unless that issue is/becomes really serious. Most times there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, and I mark them up as 'false alarms' if I had seen a given hen in the nest box and then leave it without having laid. Sometimes I think they just go there for a bit of quiet 'me' time. The old handbooks talk about 'false layers' who behave as if they're laying but actually don't.

Back
Top Bottom