Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Changes. I have realised sometimes during this week, that I am not reaching the goal I had creating this thread. I intended to have everything about my chickens in one place and especially health issues, because I had more than once the need to look back on things that had happened in the past days, weeks or months for a chicken. But a thread like this with lengthy daily description isn't efficient for that.
First of all I hope you will continue this thread. In one way or another.

Maybe the app Anymal would work for you? I used the original Dutch version but its available in English as well nowadays.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/anymal-app.12064/reviews#review-13497

I use it to keep track of the most important chicken things. All the chickens I lost are still there, in the archive. I made this screenshot last summer when I still had Chef and Abbey to make me happy.
Geboortedatum is hatch and guessed the date for Kraai.
Ik you click on a chicken you can see/add more info.
IMG_3296.png

Not sure how I would like it now ?
Our tastes change as we age, and society's do too. There are parts in the book that jar a bit, reflecting attitudes of the 60s usually, but he writes very well, and he was travelling around before mass tourism and the commercialization of the historical sites - most of them anyway. He was also a bit of an epicure, so gives guidance into what to look out for where.
It must be quite aggravating being defeated when I suppose you spent a lot of time on it !
Indeed. You've probably noticed that I don't give up easily :p
a notebook with individual entries would actually make it a lot easier.
works for me. Also a lot quicker, and means I won't lose everything if a website or app gets hacked or held hostage or just vanishes or whatnot.

I loved the Alexandria Quartet as a teenager. I re-read it again in my 30s or 40s and of course I was less romantic about it, but it stood up well.

I keep a separate list of chicken events, illness etc. I started in a notebook but now keep it in a Freeform notes app on my phone. That has helped because I was always setting the book down somewhere and forgetting!

I detail illnesses and weights and first eggs etc.

And of course I hope you don’t abandon this thread entirely because I am still transported into a sort of daydream when I see your pictures!
🥰

RC's cultural weekend made me think that I haven't been to the theater, to a music concert, or to an art exhibit since we've been here. But I watch more films than I used to living in Nice, my partner borrows them from the library and we watch them on a wall screen, and I probably read more fiction. Still, it's been a long time since I really enjoyed any film or books, but I have been lucky this last month so I thought I would share two films and three books I enjoyed.

We watched two classics I hadn't seen before. First, The grapes of wrath which is an adaptation by John Ford of the Steinbeck's novel, made just a year after the book came out, in 1940. It's hard to believe it took only a year to make. It's an incredible film both for the story, the actors, and the beautiful aesthetics. I don't usually like longer films but the two hours for this one were well worth watching. I realised that there was a lot of echoes in a recent 2020 film I also liked, Nomadland. Seems like something haven't changed !
Then we also watched "Birdy" by Alan Parker. My partner says it was a cult film for him as a teen, but we have a few years difference and I never saw it. Like all the films I watched from Alan Parker, I both feel it is overly dramatic and yet it works for me. The two actors are amazing. And the theme of the story is also timeless, and treated in a very original, poetic manner. I don't like war films in general but it's not the main aspect here, so I just didn't look at the few scenes.
We havent seen a movie in the cinema since last summer. It was Oppenheimer. Good movie. But I have seen better ones in the past. Liked Intouchables very much. And A beautiful mind too. Have both dvd’s.
We often watch movies on Netflix or streaming from our national / commercial Dutch TV.
Liked this one; The age of Adeline.

Then the books I liked. The three of them are also not completely "great" books, they have flaws, but they still really got me. The first two have the same weaknesses of overdoing it and lacking subtlety but I still loved them both and read them very quickly : "Babel" by RF Kuang and "The new wilderness" by Diane Cook. Babel is an uchronia of the fantasy type, where english colonial domination uses a magic based on linguistics. It's set in Oxford, and while it starts as dark academia, it ends with a revolution. The new wilderness is a very disturbing dystopia about a bunch of people participating in an experiment to live in the only place that's left of complete wilderness in a world where life in the cities have become unbearable. It's a very aggravating book in some ways, the two main female characters are just horrible, but it raises a number of interesting questions about the human specie and the contemporary Occidental world.
And finally I am reading a sort of classic that I've been wanting to read for a long time, the Gormenghast trilogy, by Mervyn Peake, and I love it. I think it had a huge influence on contemporary fantasy, but it's not well known in France at all. It feels a bit like the gothic version of Alice in Wonderland. It is also very well written which makes it hard to put down even if you can't help wondering what the author was smoking when he wrote it.

Anyone care to share a good book, film, or music album you would recommend?
I dont read a lot of literature anymore nowadays. Seem to need something easier to read with some suspense. Last year I have been reading Ridleys ‘ 7 sisters’ books. A mix of interesting (sort of historic), romantic, over the top lifestyles and beauty but I stayed curious while reading.
Also, I keep forgetting, but if @Lexicon drops by...look what my partner picked up at his aunt's ! She is moving so she has to downsize. Unfortunately he doesn't really like to play games, especially letter games.
View attachment 3739566
I like to play ‘Ticket to ride’ and especially Rails and sails’ :
1707065230249.jpeg

And last, I thought I'd share a song, Gino, from my second favourite french band, Les têtes raides. They have been very famous from the middle 80s to 2000 and they have a typical french sound.

I never heard of this band before. I like it but miss the subtitles. ;) It reminds me of
Jaques Brel, from Flandre.

I love the untouchables ! I saw it countless times. I'm a sucker for big american gangster, mafia and cop movies, De Palma, Scorsese and Tarantino , very shameful for a dud hippie like me🤫. Fun fact : I know two couples of very different age who called their son Eliot because of that movie.
:D:D:lau
--------------------------

What you said about changing makes me realize that I also need a notebook to record chicken events.

Today Honey laid something bad :-( It is kinda like a lash egg, but then you can sort of see it was a smashed up egg... She is acting completely fine before and after.

:D:D:lau
--------------------------

What you said about changing makes me realize that I also need a notebook to record chicken events.

Today Honey laid something bad :-( It is kinda like a lash egg, but then you can sort of see it was a smashed up egg... She is acting completely fine before and after.
I've not seen anything like that before; did you take a photo you could share? Glad to hear she is fine despite it.

Didn't ring a bell. Looked it up. Its a great Turner painting I didn’t know of. :love
yes it's gorgeous. Some reproductions enhance the colours, and it would be a lot easier to do if they'd done that with the jigsaw copy, but really it's muted, and the colour palette for sea and sky are too similar for my eyes these days.
1707126703350.png

Monet's Waterlilies is going to have to stay at the back of the queue for the same reason :lol: I did manage Hokusai's Wave though!
1707126866853.png

yes it's gorgeous. Some reproductions enhance the colours, and it would be a lot easier to do if they'd done that with the jigsaw copy, but really it's muted, and the colour palette for sea and sky are too similar for my eyes these days.
View attachment 3740898
Monet's Waterlilies is going to have to stay at the back of the queue for the same reason :lol: I did manage Hokusai's Wave though!
View attachment 3740899
I imagine most of Turner's paintings would make tricky puzzles.

Back
Top Bottom