Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
A disheartening day with four chickens having health issues. Brune obviously hadn't gotten all the egg out yesterday even if I couldn't feel anything. She was very unwell today acting eggbound. I gave her a warm bath, got her inside the house in the pet carrier with a hot bag, gave her some calcium. After a few hours she grew restless so I brought her back outside. In the evening she wasn't better. She still managed to poop, eat and drink but I 'm not sure she will make it.
Nougat's hard molt is finally beginning to put her off. She looks terrible. And Cannelle also wasn't doing good today.
So three out of four of my ex-batts are miserable. I know they won't all make it to the spring but I hate seeing them like this.
And on top of that, I saw this morning that Léa had plucked her feathered legs and made a big bloody mess. I picked her up for the first time and got her in the bathroom to clean her leg and put some betadine on it. But two hours later, it was in the exact same state and she had plucked the other leg to blood also. I saw her doing it so I'm sure it's not from other birds bullying her 🙁.

The positive new of the day is that I left the barn open for Gastounet during the day and put their feeder in front of it. Piou-piou laid in the barn, which made Gastounet a very happy rooster. He hates it when she lays in the coop as he can't be with her. I think he would maybe have liked to sleep in the barn but Piou-piou didn't want to hear anything about it. It's not ready yet, there isn't even a roost but I'm sure he wants to get away from Théo.

Brune's behind
IMG_20221112_115218.jpg

Hard molt, miserable Nougat
IMG_20221112_122134.jpg

Friends again today
IMG_20221112_131039.jpg

She stole a piece of grass from his beak!
IMG_20221112_131041.jpg

Best ennemies
IMG_20221112_144810.jpg

IMG_20221112_144919.jpg

Cannelle and Nougat keeping misery's company
IMG_20221112_131013~2.jpg

IMG_20221112_130937.jpg
IMG_20221112_130432.jpg
IMG_20221112_130805.jpg
IMG_20221112_130454.jpg

Nice sunset after a dull grey day.
IMG_20221112_171944.jpg

Last edited:
they are not really flat, and there isn't always a real stone wall between them. The widest ones are about 12 meters / yards and the most narrow around five. I think there are about eleven or twelve, we only use 7 either to grow vegetables or as pastures for the neighbors cows and donkeys.
I'd love to see a photo of the latter. This is the most extreme sort of livestock farming I've seen to date; the donkey's easy but I have no idea how that cow got there!
Herakleia extreme farming.JPG

A disheartening day with four chickens having health issues. Brune obviously hadn't gotten all the egg out yesterday even if I couldn't feel anything. She was very unwell today acting eggbound. I gave her a warm bath, got her inside the house in the pet carrier with a hot bag, gave her some calcium. After a few hours she grew restless so I brought her back outside. In the evening she wasn't better. She still managed to poop, eat and drink but I 'm not sure she will make it.
Nougat's hard molt is finally beginning to put her off. She looks terrible. And Cannelle also wasn't doing good today.
So three out of four of my ex-batts are miserable. I know they won't all make it to the spring but I hate seeing them like this.
And on top of that, I saw this morning that Léa had plucked her feathered legs and made a big bloody mess. I picked her up for the first time and got her in the bathroom to clean her leg and put some betadine on it. But two hours later, it was in the exact same state and she had plucked the other leg to blood also. I saw her doing it so I'm sure it's not from other birds bullying her 🙁.

The positive new of the day is that I left the barn open for Gastounet during the day and put their feeder in front of it. Piou-piou laid in the barn, which made Gastounet a very happy rooster. He hates it when she lays in the coop as he can't be with her. I think he would maybe have liked to sleep in the barn but Piou-piou didn't want to hear anything about it. It's not ready yet, there isn't even a roost but I'm sure he wants to get away from Théo.

Brune's behind
View attachment 3320479
Hard molt, miserable Nougat
View attachment 3320489
Friends again today
View attachment 3320477
She stole a piece of grass from his beak!
View attachment 3320473
Best ennemies
View attachment 3320475
View attachment 3320482
Cannelle and Nougat keeping misery's companyView attachment 3320481
View attachment 3320471View attachment 3320485View attachment 3320487View attachment 3320488
Nice sunset after a dull grey day.
View attachment 3320483
Sorry for the rough day. I never heard of a chicken plucking out their own feathers. I wonder why.

Sorry for the rough day. I never heard of a chicken plucking out their own feathers. I wonder why.
It does happen both to body feather and feet feather. We talked about it on Shadrach's thread for body feathers - the observation was that sole of the hens that have poor quality feathers ( brittle or broken) seem to pluck at them like a habit, sort of similar to eating one's nails. I don't know why. And for feet feathers, I looked it up : when the feathers are growing and still have bloods in their quilt, apparently it can be quite itchy. That and the fact that feather feet's are very prone to SLM. Théo probably has SLM, but I'm certain Léa doesn't, at least not yet.
I'd love to see a photo of the latter. This is the most extreme sort of livestock farming I've seen to date; the donkey's easy but I have no idea how that cow got there!View attachment 3320499
Well our place isn't as rocky as this ! But cows can be very agile. We had a lot of problems with a female calf, Marguerite, who kept climbing down the wall into our vegetable garden and enticed the adults to follow her 🤬.
IMG_20211019_081215.jpg

IMG_20211018_183839.jpg

IMG_20210416_081232.jpg

IMG_20201020_084317.jpg

It does happen both to body feather and feet feather. We talked about it on Shadrach's thread for body feathers - the observation was that sole of the hens that have poor quality feathers ( brittle or broken) seem to pluck at them like a habit, sort of similar to eating one's nails. I don't know why. And for feet feathers, I looked it up : when the feathers are growing and still have bloods in their quilt, apparently it can be quite itchy. That and the fact that feather feet's are very prone to SLM. Théo probably has SLM, but I'm certain Léa doesn't, at least not yet.

Well our place isn't as rocky as this ! But cows can be very agile. We had a lot of problems with a female calf, Marguerite, who kept climbing down the wall into our vegetable garden and enticed the adults to follow her 🤬.
View attachment 3321184
View attachment 3321185
View attachment 3321187
View attachment 3321188
Very interesting on the feathers and the cows. But I had to give a ♥️ because of the gorgeous pictures.
I have a soft spot for donkeys - and of course a dark, almost black donkey is just ♥️♥️ and the white eye-liner ♥️♥️♥️

Very interesting on the feathers and the cows. But I had to give a ♥️ because of the gorgeous pictures.
I have a soft spot for donkeys - and of course a dark, almost black donkey is just ♥️♥️ and the white eye-liner ♥️♥️♥️

I fell head over heels for that donkey too 🥰
The donkey was one of three males, Cumba. I agree he's beautiful!
My neighbor sold all her donkeys a few months ago. I wrote a post about them on FBA. She hadn't halter trained any of them and they got out of control and kept escaping. And, she didn't have access to enough pastures to keep both the donkeys and the cows.
Brune passed a piece of egg shell during the night and she was back to her normal self today ! I'm really relieved. In fact she laid a normal egg in the morning. I hope this was a one shot thing as she has never had laying problems before.
Both Cannelle and Nougat still looked pretty miserable but I think Cannelle's molt should soon be over now.

We harvested walnuts for the first year from a walnut tree my partner planted eleven years ago, that he took from his grandma's place when she died.
The chickens helped us. Merle and Gaston love walnuts!

Piou-piou laid again in the barn. I left the first egg so she wouldn't be tempted to find another nest elsewhere that I would have to look for everywhere. We didn't see her, but in the afternoon my partner found a new egg.
Blanche also laid before I opened the coop. And Léa's leg seemed a lot better.
IMG_20221113_161425.jpg
IMG_20221113_162031.jpg
IMG_20221113_143048.jpg
IMG_20221113_113100.jpg
IMG_20221113_112532.jpg

Running in the mountains this morning. The larches have started to turn orange in the last few days. It's beginning to feel like fall at last - we should get a week of storm and hopefully some snow next week!
IMG_20221113_090520.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221113_161801.jpg
    IMG_20221113_161801.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 2
The donkey was one of three males, Cumba. I agree he's beautiful!
My neighbor sold all her donkeys a few months ago. I wrote a post about them on FBA. She hadn't halter trained any of them and they got out of control and kept escaping. And, she didn't have access to enough pastures to keep both the donkeys and the cows.
Brune passed a piece of egg shell during the night and she was back to her normal self today ! I'm really relieved. In fact she laid a normal egg in the morning. I hope this was a one shot thing as she has never had laying problems before.
Both Cannelle and Nougat still looked pretty miserable but I think Cannelle's molt should soon be over now.

We harvested walnuts for the first year from a walnut tree my partner planted eleven years ago, that he took from his grandma's place when she died.
The chickens helped us. Merle and Gaston love walnuts!

Piou-piou laid again in the barn. I left the first egg so she wouldn't be tempted to find another nest elsewhere that I would have to look for everywhere. We didn't see her, but in the afternoon my partner found a new egg.
Blanche also laid before I opened the coop. And Léa's leg seemed a lot better.View attachment 3321825View attachment 3321826View attachment 3321828View attachment 3321831View attachment 3321832
Running in the mountains this morning. The larches have started to turn orange in the last few days. It's beginning to feel like fall at last - we should get a week of storm and hopefully some snow next week!
View attachment 3321830
I'm so glad you had a better day :)

Back
Top Bottom