Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
Bye 44, can't say I'll miss you. 🤗

-worse chicken event : Vanille and Caramel's death a week apart
-best chicken event : watching Chipie hatch and raise chicks 💚💚.
-best life event : going twice for several days mountain hiking with my partner.
-worse life event : lots of small evil stuff 🙁 1. the nine months drought 2. experiencing anaphylactic chock from a hornet sting. 2. ex-aequo: setting fire to the chimney. Oh, and maybe also my partner's mother almost dying and spending two months hospitalized from smoking.

-Books I enjoyed the most : the poppy war trilogy (R.F. Kuang) and Bewilderment (R.Powers). I read quite a few good books, some were maybe better but didn't touch me in the same way, and a lot, lot of very bad books (cheap fantasy).
-Films I enjoyed the most : didn't watch many as it's requiring me too much concentration now. Maybe Nomadland and Once upon a time in Hollywood.

The chicken lesson I valued the most : this quote from the Instagram account alltheprettychickens (aka Beazy farms, a small animal rescue).

View attachment 3282594
What a lovely post (and thank you for book recommendations - always on the look out for a good read).
It sounds like 44 wasn't too bad really, and I am confident 45 will be even better.
I will give you a slightly old fashioned greeting which somehow seems to fit: "Many Happy Returns of the Day".

Happy Birthday GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

Than you all 💚.
It sounds like a good year for you. My past year has been awful. I am only hoping the next one will be slightly better.🙁

I need to read books.
It wasn't a good year, in the three years that we lived here it was the first one that wasn't all rainbow and fluff. In my case it had more to do with being stressed out by an accumulation of small problems rather than dealing with something horrible. I'm sorry things were hard for you and also hope they get better!
I've always loved reading, but when I'm feeling depressed I tend to pick lighter pageturner books and that can often mean crappy books. It replaces rubbish tv for me.
My chickens didn't know it was my birthday and they had a horrible day. First a hawk landed by them early morning when I was cleaning out poop in the chicken yard a few meters away 😬 and that rightly scared them. Then I left for a two hours run and when I came back Théo was trying to get at Gaston who was running away screaming. He won't stand him anymore and it is the same though less worse with the others younger chickens.
In the evening he was tidbitting like mad in the garden outside, where the ex -batts can't go. Chipie just ignored him so after a while Léa very tentatively walked up to him. When she reached he attacked her pretty bad without warning.
I don't think he's aiming to really hurt, but to drive them away. However I'm afraid this means common housing won't be possible in a near future.

Than you all 💚.

It wasn't a good year, in the three years that we lived here it was the first one that wasn't all rainbow and fluff. In my case it had more to do with being stressed out by an accumulation of small problems rather than dealing with something horrible. I'm sorry things were hard for you and also hope they get better!
I've always loved reading, but when I'm feeling depressed I tend to pick lighter pageturner books and that can often mean crappy books. It replaces rubbish tv for me.
My chickens didn't know it was my birthday and they had a horrible day. First a hawk landed by them early morning when I was cleaning out poop in the chicken yard a few meters away 😬 and that rightly scared them. Then I left for a two hours run and when I came back Théo was trying to get at Gaston who was running away screaming. He won't stand him anymore and it is the same though less worse with the others younger chickens.
In the evening he was tidbitting like mad in the garden outside, where the ex -batts can't go. Chipie just ignored him so after a while Léa very tentatively walked up to him. When she reached he attacked her pretty bad without warning.
I don't think he's aiming to really hurt, but to drive them away. However I'm afraid this means common housing won't be possible in a near future.
It sounds like a trying day for you too; chickens can be horrid to each other. And I understand your comments about the year. One damn thing after another can grind me down too. I have a couple of fridge magnets that help me and may help you: 'Never, never, never give up', and 'Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts' (both Churchill). And I recall that I wouldn't recognize the good times if there were no bad times. It's like life and death; two sides of the same coin.

Bye 44, can't say I'll miss you. 🤗

-worse chicken event : Vanille and Caramel's death a week apart
-best chicken event : watching Chipie hatch and raise chicks 💚💚.
-best life event : going twice for several days mountain hiking with my partner.
-worse life event : lots of small evil stuff 🙁 1. the nine months drought 2. experiencing anaphylactic chock from a hornet sting. 2. ex-aequo: setting fire to the chimney. Oh, and maybe also my partner's mother almost dying and spending two months hospitalized from smoking.

-Books I enjoyed the most : the poppy war trilogy (R.F. Kuang) and Bewilderment (R.Powers). I read quite a few good books, some were maybe better but didn't touch me in the same way, and a lot, lot of very bad books (cheap fantasy).
-Films I enjoyed the most : didn't watch many as it's requiring me too much concentration now. Maybe Nomadland and Once upon a time in Hollywood.

The chicken lesson I valued the most : this quote from the Instagram account alltheprettychickens (aka Beazy farms, a small animal rescue).

View attachment 3282594
What a wonderful thing to do. I have never thought to review a year like this before. Strange. It makes a lot of sense to take stock like this. Here's hoping there is much more good than bad in the upcoming year.

And Happy Birthday whenever it was! 🥳

And I recall that I wouldn't recognize the good times if there were no bad times. It's like life and death; two sides of the same coin.
If I look at the bigger picture I really have nothing to complain about ! I was given a very good hand of cards from the beginning, and every mistake I have made turned out for the better. I have been and still am extremely lucky, and being able to live in a place like here and quit work is a chance many people I know dream of. I just need to kick my butt for focusing on small bad things 🤣 !
What a wonderful thing to do. I have never thought to review a year like this before. Strange. It makes a lot of sense to take stock like this. Here's hoping there is much more good than bad in the upcoming year.

And Happy Birthday whenever it was! 🥳
Thank you, it was only yesterday so you're still very much in time- I will celebrate with my family in three weeks only, we're quite tolerant about those things 😉.

With the hawk having landed yesterday, I was worried about leaving the younger chickens outside this morning (I had to go away for an hour and a half). But when I opened the coop in the morning, the chickens stayed outside for about 20 mn only and then they all got back inside the coop and run, which only happen when they are extremely afraid. They probably heard or saw the hawk again. So I locked all of them together.
When I came back all the younger chickens had jumped on the very small shelter's roof in the run, and the adults were on the ground under them- everyone survived ! They were all happy to be freed and Nougat directly ran to the outside nest and laid an egg in about two minutes 😂.

The younger chickens then stayed outside in the garden most of the day. Théo chased Gaston away from the feeders whenever he came back to eat. Hard to say if Gaston screams because he's really afraid, or if he's just acting up for nothing.
Chipie was still playing sweetheart with both. She is trouble 🙂.

Merle
IMG_20221007_172406.jpg

Piou-piou
IMG_20221007_172546.jpg
IMG_20221007_180345.jpg
IMG_20221007_173139.jpg
IMG_20221007_180605.jpg

finding balance is difficult for a cross bantam rooster trying to mate a bigger hen on a very steep slope.
IMG_20221007_174044.jpg
IMG_20221007_173922.jpg
IMG_20221007_161944.jpg
IMG_20221007_172216.jpg

Chipie looking rough. I'm glad to finally see some pin feathers on her head.
IMG_20221007_172136.jpg

IMG_20221007_172137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom