Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Thank you for the thought 🙂. It wasn't a completely happy hatch day though because that little girl wasn't well again.
View attachment 3529966
She doesn't have any specific symptom, just lethargic and looking in pain. She didn't lay today so maybe it has to do with an egg hurting her. And the feathers shafts beginning to regrow on her old wound seem to really bother her and the skin is irritated.
She still enjoyed a small birthday dish with egg, mackerel, cherries and strawberries. Merle, Gaston and Léa had the same.

It also feels a bit strange that their team is broken up. Léa is with her chicks and attacks any of them that come near, Merle hangs out only a bit with Gaston, Gaston is now spending half the day locked out of the chicken yard either in the woodshed, in the field beyond the fence, or above, and Piou-piou and Gaston are always kept separated.

Merle has begun laying again so she's definitely off the broody thing. Chipie however is completely committed. My partner wanted to give her an egg or two, but we really don't have the room to house more chicken for the time being.

The chicks have grown so much! I have a hunch two are roos, I don't know about the other. One has feathers not coming in properly - not sure it it's late, or if it has some shredded gene.
I tried checking one for ticks- it's hopeless, it screamed and wriggled out of my hand in two seconds. I have to hope Léa does the checking.

View attachment 3530014View attachment 3530015
Merle the birthday girl spent all morning in the barn trying to decide if she was going to lay. She loudly announced it to everyone when it was finally done.
View attachment 3530022
View attachment 3530025
View attachment 3530026View attachment 3530027View attachment 3530028View attachment 3530029
Finally got a good picture of Kara, the most shy of the pullets. She has a bigger comb than Lily, but still not convinced she is six months old. She has a broken upper beak 🙁.
View attachment 3530030
Chicks.
Regarding food, it's not working like it should. Basically Léa will have them eat anything except chick starter which she hates. My ex-batts and Piou-piou however love it so they eat the chick's dishes while the chicks eat the layer feed and the grain. I'm also still giving them sides of damp bread, egg when I have some spare, and crushed wasas.
View attachment 3530013
Most tiny, a bit slow.
View attachment 3530016
The black chick in front (with a white dot on it's head) and the yellow chick are my cockerel suspects. They are often together.
View attachment 3530017
The chick behind has trouble with it's feathers.
View attachment 3530018
Same chick above. Zooming in you see he has a rat's tail.
View attachment 3530020View attachment 3530031
Try tipping the chick feed on the ground in front of Lea rather than using a feeder or bowl. Some mums are very fussy about who feeds their chicks and how. It's understandable given mum has to find the chicks food for the first couple of weeks while she teaches them what's good and how to find it. In general chickens don't find food in large quantities in one place when foraging so spreading the feed out on the ground is more natural for them. I had to do this often to get them to eat chick feed.

Try tipping the chick feed on the ground in front of Lea rather than using a feeder or bowl. Some mums are very fussy about who feeds their chicks and how. It's understandable given mum has to find the chicks food for the first couple of weeks while she teaches them what's good and how to find it. In general chickens don't find food in large quantities in one place when foraging so spreading the feed out on the ground is more natural for them. I had to do this often to get them to eat chick feed.
That is very interesting Shad. It makes sense.
I noticed that Eli shovels the chick food out of the container onto the floor for her adopted chicks.

Polka has been doing a grand job, outdoors 24/7. Fez is 1 week old today and coming on nicely
DSC03079.JPG

First: a belated birthday for Merle and the other 1 year olds! View attachment 3530748

And two questions.
The first is because you seem to have ongoing problems with your roosters behaviour. I’ve been reading roosters wont fight (in general) with each other if there are no ladies to fight for. Did you ever consider to build a coop / run for the two roosters so all the girls and chicks can live in harmony? Seperated, they just can’t mingle with the ladies. At least until the chicks have grownnand Lea is healed completely. If you think it’s a good idea you also need to block off the view so they wont see the hens anymore.
I would never do that to my roosters.
Being with their hens is the most important thing for them.
I think it works out only when people do that with cockerels as soon as they find out they are males.
One of the possible outcomes for my roosters if they really don't agree to live together, could happen when some of my ex-batts will likely dies soon. When Théo will only have Chipie and Nougat (Cannelle will likely switch to Gaston) hopefully he will agree to change territory.
I believe it's the hens that are really intent on staying around the coop and not going elsewhere.
Right now I'm giving a try at having Gaston and the white pullets stay in the terraces beyond the chicken yard. When he's alone, Gaston hates it, but maybe with the pullets he will get used to it. If this worked out, he could move there.

I would actually let them fight it out if it weren't for the two really unwell ex-batts. I want them to have relatively peaceful last days.
The second is about the chick feed. Did you try adding water to the feed? Mine couldn’t eat the pellets and because of that I made a mash from day one. All my chickens prefer to eat the mash.

I do both, mashes and spread on the ground. She hates it, period. However the chicks are now big enough not to always do as she says ! Fun thing: I actually made mash mixed with bread especially the first week, to try to get them to eat it : they ate the bread and left the starter 😂.
I'm really not worried at all about it because they spend the day foraging and with all the rain we have been getting they get tons of worms and live protein.

Polka has been doing a grand job, outdoors 24/7. Fez is 1 week old today and coming on nicely
View attachment 3530781
She's a lovely small thing ! I'm sure it must be easier watching over one than over six 😉. I hope Polka stays a long time with Fez, because on the other hand being alone when she will be rejected to grow up on her own must not be so easy, even if your chickens seem wonderfully well behaved compared to my french rioters.

I'm very happy that Piou-piou seems back to her normal self after laying an egg this morning. Hopefully she just needs more calcium- we have had less eggs, so they had only oyster shells and no egg shells for a while, and they don't seem to eat them.

She is now in terror of Léa who attacks her viciously on sight. I wonder if it means Léa will not submit to her again once she's over being a broody. Also, it's interesting that Merle on the other hand really scares Léa, whereas Merle still submits to Piou-piou! And Cannelle has become friend with Piou-piou who submits to her, but today Merle tried to stand her ground and Cannelle quickly retaliated and mounted her 😯. They are forming new relationships.

There was some drama again at roost time because it turns out Alba the leghorn is extremely possessive with Gaston. She threw Nieva, the other leghorn, out of the roost and scared the black giggles away ! They went on Théo's roost😱 and he didn't even peck them off, but they decided it wouldn't do. Then they tried to fly back via Piou-piou's crate, I was surprised it didn't fall off.

We're almost done with the cherries from the tree in the chicken yard. We're very lucky Merle is our only chicken who doesn't like cherries.
IMG_20230606_094423.jpg

Gaston is still very keen to see the chicks. He tried to tidbit them with a cherry and was chased by broody murderous screams.
IMG_20230606_164125.jpg

Brune is still there.
IMG_20230606_191719.jpg

And Blanche has troubles seeing the cherries but not eating them.
IMG_20230606_183648.jpg

Alba and Nieva are friends, to a point.
IMG_20230606_145640.jpg

IMG_20230606_100339.jpg

IMG_20230606_112438.jpg
IMG_20230606_102734.jpg

Black miss Giggles. My partner said "Mais elles gloussent" which means just that in french!
IMG_20230606_181302.jpg
IMG_20230606_161051.jpg
IMG_20230606_155621.jpg

Cannelle was born to be wild 😜
IMG_20230606_134117.jpg

Hibou and Merle
IMG_20230606_132203.jpg

Chicks and broody. Looking at the photos I think they are a bit smaller than Chipie's hatch was at 18 days. However Chipie waited until they were three weeks and a half to take them in the coop !
IMG_20230606_134048.jpg
IMG_20230606_132744.jpg
IMG_20230606_132740.jpg
IMG_20230606_113112.jpg
IMG_20230606_113104.jpg
IMG_20230606_112746.jpg

Forgot to mention that we made our first strawberry pie yesterday, about ten days later than usual - we've had cool temperatures with all that rain, slowing down the garden's growth.
IMG_20230605_162155.jpg

She's a lovely small thing ! I'm sure it must be easier watching over one than over six 😉. I hope Polka stays a long time with Fez, because on the other hand being alone when she will be rejected to grow up on her own must not be so easy, even if your chickens seem wonderfully well behaved compared to my french rioters.

I'm very happy that Piou-piou seems back to her normal self after laying an egg this morning. Hopefully she just needs more calcium- we have had less eggs, so they had only oyster shells and no egg shells for a while, and they don't seem to eat them.

She is now in terror of Léa who attacks her viciously on sight. I wonder if it means Léa will not submit to her again once she's over being a broody. Also, it's interesting that Merle on the other hand really scares Léa, whereas Merle still submits to Piou-piou! And Cannelle has become friend with Piou-piou who submits to her, but today Merle tried to stand her ground and Cannelle quickly retaliated and mounted her 😯. They are forming new relationships.

There was some drama again at roost time because it turns out Alba the leghorn is extremely possessive with Gaston. She threw Nieva, the other leghorn, out of the roost and scared the black giggles away ! They went on Théo's roost😱 and he didn't even peck them off, but they decided it wouldn't do. Then they tried to fly back via Piou-piou's crate, I was surprised it didn't fall off.

We're almost done with the cherries from the tree in the chicken yard. We're very lucky Merle is our only chicken who doesn't like cherries.
View attachment 3531287
Gaston is still very keen to see the chicks. He tried to tidbit them with a cherry and was chased by broody murderous screams.
View attachment 3531289

Brune is still there.
View attachment 3531295
View attachment 3531294
View attachment 3531293
View attachment 3531327
View attachment 3531324View attachment 3531326
Black miss Giggles. My partner said "Mais elles gloussent" which means just that in french!
View attachment 3531290View attachment 3531291View attachment 3531292
View attachment 3531296
Hibou and Merle
View attachment 3531307
Chicks and broody. Looking at the photos I think they are a bit smaller than Chipie's hatch was at 18 days. However Chipie waited until they were three weeks and a half to take them in the coop !
View attachment 3531297View attachment 3531300View attachment 3531305View attachment 3531313View attachment 3531316View attachment 3531321
Forgot to mention that we made our first strawberry pie yesterday, about ten days later than usual - we've had cool temperatures with all that rain, slowing down the garden's growth.
View attachment 3531288
I love picture #17 (I think I counted correctly) - the 4th from the end. Clearly a lesson is being given to the attentive chicks!

View attachment 3531287
View attachment 3531289

Brune is still there.
View attachment 3531295
View attachment 3531294
View attachment 3531293
View attachment 3531327
View attachment 3531324View attachment 3531326
View attachment 3531290View attachment 3531291View attachment 3531292
View attachment 3531296
Hibou and Merle
View attachment 3531307
View attachment 3531297View attachment 3531300View attachment 3531305View attachment 3531313View attachment 3531316View attachment 3531321
View attachment 3531288
The pie looks scrumptious!

I love picture #17 (I think I counted correctly) - the 4th from the end. Clearly a lesson is being given to the attentive chicks!
It was indeed the case. They hadn't paid attention to a warning call and didn't hide quick enough. They are already very undisciplined. I'm beginning to think we have five roos and a pullet 😯.
The pie looks scrumptious!
It was better than we expected. Usually I do the traditional recipe with crème pâtissière, a kind of custard, but I didn't have the ingredients so I put almond cream instead (egg mixed with almond powder and sugar) and it tasted great.

It has rained so much the last month that our coop's back wall, that is buried two levels underground, is leaking and completely soaked 🙁. Unfortunately the roosts are very close to that wall so the chickens sleep in a damp place. Solving the problem would require quite a bit of work, but I think as a palliative measure we are finally going to change the roosts next week and bring them closer to the door and the ventilation.

The chicks are growing bigger every day and poor Léa really has trouble holding them together. On the other hand, she is just awful with the other chickens, especially Piou-piou. Twice today I was holding Piou-piou in my arms and she attacked me.

Piou-piou was not well again, and didn't lay. Still wondering if it's related.

There was some drama at roost time again. Gaston had Alba on his left and Merle on his right. Nueva didn't want to go too close to Merle, so she stood right in the middle of the roost, on top of the ladder. Normally the ex-batts are on the right of the ladder, but the two black giggles, Kara and Lily, took their place. Three of the ex-batts let it go, and accepted to roost below, but Nougat was crazy. This is her place. She kept pecking at the one next to her (Lily I think) and pulling off feathers and trying to throw her off the roost. The two black chickens were stuck against the wall to the far right and trying to hide in the nest hole that is there, but they are too big to manage it. They just crouched backward and endured the beating. It was still going on when I closed the coop 🙁.

I posted on the fluffy butt acre thread here detailed photos of all the chicks asking for eventual ID, not reposting those here.

This morning after breakfast I found the chicks, Léa, Merle and Cannelle tearing bloody bits of a mouse apart and a very unhappy Grochatila watching them despondently 😂. My guess is they stole it from him.
IMG_20230607_055753.jpg

Gaston managed to touch three chicks for the first time this evening before Léa attacked him.
IMG_20230607_164121.jpg
IMG_20230607_164101.jpg

They would do anything to get a share of our lunch.
IMG_20230607_122544.jpg

For the first time today Léa convinced all her chicks to join her dustbathing in the barrel. They are very different from Chipie's clutch who were dustbathing from day 2.
IMG_20230607_103906.jpg

The devil in the compost.
IMG_20230607_154637.jpg

IMG_20230607_103651.jpg

Free ranging chicks before the rain.
IMG_20230607_102512.jpg

IMG_20230607_082840.jpg

IMG_20230607_082826.jpg

IMG_20230607_082529.jpg

IMG_20230607_082510.jpg

IMG_20230607_080058.jpg

Scared of Léa 😱