thank goodness they don't have teeth,lol

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
I got in the habit of buying crickets & shiners for the chickens & ducks, then I got out of doing it last fews months.

My older bunch of chickens saw me grab the cricket box & a 5 gallon bucket. I haven't even left to go get them & they started following me to my vehicle.
gig.gif
Go down the road, went to the local bait shop & blowed 20 bucks.
roll.png

Get home & everyone was in the backyard.I got out & turned the corner, I couldn't hardly walk for all the chickens.There I am surrounded, with a 5 gal bucket & a paper bag of crickets.

I started tossing crickets & the younger chickens
got into the action.Standards running over bantams & ducks all in the mix. They got thru with the crickets & I managed to make my way to the kiddie pool.

I bent over to toss some shiners in the pool,that's when the fun started,lol. &The chickens rushed me,they were trying to draw blood.Pecking at my fingers & one of my BSL's jumped up & bit my freaking lip.Man it hurt, but was really funny,though. It's a sight to see little bantams playing keep away with a fish hanging from their beaks.
lau.gif

* Oooo - shiners, nice new kind of chicken treat. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of guppies or feeder goldfish myself. What are "shiners" officially?? I know they're raised as bait for fishing, but what kind of fish are they?

lau.gif
I can just see a chicken hanging from you lip!

What kind of shiners do you feed your chickens? You mentioned putting them in a pool. Are they intended for your ducks? Can I toss shiners out for my chickens?

I love the idea of giving them some "live" protien since my girls don't free range outside their run.

I guess different places call them different things,lol. They are minnows, we call them shiners around here. We have them out in the bayou out front but I'm no good at catching them,lol.
Oh your birds will love them,just be careful.
lol.png

Let me know how it goes.

I don't know exactly what kind they are,just small fresh water fish.

Last edited:
Quote:
I just buy them from a bait shop, I think they're about 5 cents a piece. I do put some in the ducks kiddie pool,they rest I just toss around the yard. Try to spread them out so everyone has a chance.I'm sure you'll have several at your feet, trying to get the best position to grab & run.
lau.gif

Quote:
I guess they would if they can see them.I have a few Polish that eat them. I trim their crests so they can free range safely & watch where they are going.

lol.png
i am thinkin of buyin some...but then again we alreayd have so many bugs in our yard LOL
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom