Thank you Animal Control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NitaAZ, Dec 2, 2011.

1. NitaAZ

NitaAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Yesterday a neighbor dog got into my chicken yard and killed 5 chickens and a duck (including my awesome Splash Silkie roo). I called the Sheriff who made sure I understood I had every right to do whatever it took to protect my animals. Then he had Animal Control call me. Animal Control went over to the neighbors today and convinced them to sign the dog over - they didn't want to at first, but when told the deputy would be coming and it would go to court with citations of $1000 or more, they signed the dog over. They were also warned that any other incidents with any of their other dogs would have a citation.

Animal Control and the Sheriff's Department took this case very seriously and used everything in their power to make sure it doesn't happen again. I truly appreciate their work today!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about your birds! I'm glad it was taken care of well. It's hard enough mourning the loss of your birds, having a nightmare of a neighbor dog that has tasted blood is a nightmare. I lost an Amazon parrot to a neighbor dog that got in our backyard. I was a teenager at the time, and my father went to talk to them personally. They apologized and agreed to replace the bird. (She was a $1000 + bird) Remarkably, they moved out of their house within the week...and were never heard from again. (We found out later that they were renters, and assumed they already had plans to move before the tragedy. Easy out.)

Hope your coop is safe now!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry about your loss,but what a sweet resolution thanks to AC. I sure wish they would do that everywhere. It would make sense to cite owners since they could make some good money on fines!

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You got lucky the sheriff did something about it. Most of the time the attitude of local officials is " it's just a chicken". Have you considered asking for damages?

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your babies. Glad that they took this problem seriously.

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Someone there has chickens! And, loves them! Very cool...Now what do they do? Do they give the dog back if they promise to keep him confined? Any ideas?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nita,

Are you in Maricopa County?

Sheriff Joe has always been real serious about protecting dogs and also about removing dangerous dogs.

He is very anti-animal abuse, but will always protect other's rights

8. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Sorry to hear about your birds, but it is nice to hear that the government did right by you after all the nightmarish storys Ive read on this site. Good for you for handling such a bad situation so well.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That is super. Finally a sheriff's department that gets it. And the AC too? You must live in the city.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    With all the predators out there, it has to be people's dogs too. If they cared about their dogs, they wouldn't be running loose. I'm sorry about your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by