Thank you Dawg and Kathy!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
I've had chickens for about 8 years now, and have wormed them periodically with Eprinex to their necks. I have followed many thread about problems, worming, illnesses, etc., many times reading advice from Dawg and Kathy about worming and dosages of various medications.

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and worm with valbazen. I filled several syringes and over one evening and the next morning managed to dose each of my 50-ish chickens. The morning after the first half of my chickens were treated, I went into one of the coops and OMG!!!! There was one worm-filled poop. It was absolutely loaded with "spaghetti." We did have one hen that had been "off," which is why I finally decided to worm the flock. I have since seen her poop more worms. She is "pinking up" and acting much better now. I haven't seen any worms in the rest of the flock, but where one has it ...

Anyway, next week I will worm them for the second time. It really wasn't the chore I thought it would be to worm 50+ chickens, as we did it at dusk when they were all roosting for the first half, and the next half we did in the morning just before daylight.

So, thanks again Dawg and Kathy for your many helpful posts about worming and dosing. I credit you both for saving my hen's life and helping me keep the flock healthy!

Just did followup re-worm. So glad it's done! It wasn't as easy since we waited to do them all this morning and it was full daylight. Catch a chicken, worm it, throw it out of the run, repeat, repeat, repeat. When the run is empty, move on to the next one. When all three are empty, we're finished! Scrape poop off shoes, take a shower, and don't worry about it until the next time!

How often should I worm them?

Your soil conditions determine how often you should worm your birds. Your soil is most likely warm and moist most of the year. Our soil is the same and we had alot of rain last year. Warm moist wet soil is worm soup. I worm my birds once every three months sometimes sooner if it's been raining alot. But it's up to you how often you want to worm your birds.

Back
Top Bottom