Thank You For Being A Hen....The Gossett Girls (coming soon)

Hi Gossettk76!

:welcome

There are a lot of factors that come into play when deciding where to get your first chicks. Looks like you have done some good research about breeds- I have heard great things about BA's so good start! There are local feed stores such as Agway that sell sexed chicks (usually have to preorder and they have a minimum amount that you have to buy, typically 6 chicks and you are allowed to pick any of the breeds they supply) Agway is great as they also sell feed and supplies that you will need for the brooder to start. People on this forum have also gotten chicks from Tractor Supply Co, but there is some negative feedback so be sure to do your research. Hatcheries are great if you can meet the minimum shipping order, some hatcheries do smaller orders in warmer months at a higher price. See this article about hatcheries that is really informative

https://www.communitychickens.com/how-does-your-favorite-mail-order-hatchery-stack-up/

In the end ask lots of questions- I always ask the local feed store what hatchery they get their chicks, then research that hatchery. Are the chicks vaccinated? What is the return policy on roos (males) if they are sexed pullets (females)? What is the minimum order quantity?

All in all, raising chickens is fun AND rewarding- Do your homework first so you can enjoy them fully once you get them!

Good Luck!

I have gotten chickens from local 4-H'ers who raise up a bunch then decide who NOT to take to the county fair; both times that has turned out well. I'm not trying to win any ribbons, so I don't care if they aren't show quality birds. But, those are pretty much adult chickens by then -- though generally well handled by their 4-H'ers.

Craigslist, not so good for me. The free-range "friends" turned on each other in the close quarters of quarantine.

I have been very happy with all the chicks I have gotten from the local Bomgaars farm store. They do all of their buying from Hoover's Hatchery. I have never had a problem with any of the birds, including the geese. And, Hoover's offer a nice variety of breeds, many of which Bomgaars will have at some time during the year. I like being able to see and choose my own chicks from the big brooders in-store. Even at a day or two old, some chicks have some obvious personality.

The other feed store in town also gets its birds from Hoover's. And, that store will allow customers to buy ANYTHING that Hoover's offers, even a single chick, if that's what you want. BUT, the store will only place the order when at least 15 chicks have been collectively ordered by its customers. So, you may get your chick(s) in a couple of days or have to wait weeks until enough other customers want Hoover's babies.

Good luck with your future flock, however you decide to build it!

Hi Gossettk76!

:welcome

There are a lot of factors that come into play when deciding where to get your first chicks. Looks like you have done some good research about breeds- I have heard great things about BA's so good start! There are local feed stores such as Agway that sell sexed chicks (usually have to preorder and they have a minimum amount that you have to buy, typically 6 chicks and you are allowed to pick any of the breeds they supply) Agway is great as they also sell feed and supplies that you will need for the brooder to start. People on this forum have also gotten chicks from Tractor Supply Co, but there is some negative feedback so be sure to do your research. Hatcheries are great if you can meet the minimum shipping order, some hatcheries do smaller orders in warmer months at a higher price. See this article about hatcheries that is really informative

https://www.communitychickens.com/how-does-your-favorite-mail-order-hatchery-stack-up/

In the end ask lots of questions- I always ask the local feed store what hatchery they get their chicks, then research that hatchery. Are the chicks vaccinated? What is the return policy on roos (males) if they are sexed pullets (females)? What is the minimum order quantity?

All in all, raising chickens is fun AND rewarding- Do your homework first so you can enjoy them fully once you get them!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback. I've got a little ways to go on my coop before I'm ready for the chicks, but you gave me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it!

Welcome! I got my first 5 chickens at 3 weeks old from a fellow 1 1/2 hours away from me. He raises some heritage breed cattle and chickens. I found him through a website for CSAs. Then I got a hen that needed to be rehome, she was located in a neighboring town. I ordered day old babies through MPC once as the ship small orders and had the breeds I wanted. And then some rescues, all laying hens. All worked out well

Back
Top Bottom