Thank you for Welcoming me to BackYard Chickens!

StephK8

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
I have been raising chickens for about 16 years. My daughter was in 4-H and fell in love the chickens. We started with 2, have had as many as 24 and we currently stand at 15, most are about 2 -4 years old. We have a menagerie of chickens, Rhode Islands, Buff Orpington, Plymouth Rocks, Leghorns, Australorp and some Sex-links.
We live in 3/4 acre in a rural suburb and are surrounded by a sod farm. There is plenty of room for our 2 dogs and the cats do not venture outback, its' the dogs territory :) We have one lonely duck left. Her parents and siblings have succumb to predators. We keep our girls safe but there is always a predator hiding somewhere. We do have black snakes who like to steal eggs of the duck and chickens. Let’s not forget the 2 rabbits; Marble & Willow.
My children are grown now but my grandchildren love the chickens and my one has also shown chickens in 4-H. I co-lead a small animal club in my county and chickens are included in this. My husband has always liked the "girls" but in the past year with my schedule he has been their primary care taker. He gives eggs away and gets chocolate and home made cookies in return...I never get anything :) I have known about BackYard Chickens and have utilized the site for information on chickens, others experiences as well. It's about time I joined! I am also attaching a picture of the Girls visiting my neighbors yard, her friend painted this picture a few years ago, it is beautiful.

Attachments

• 47537D61-05B2-4359-A59F-17812A9AA9DB.jpeg
    47537D61-05B2-4359-A59F-17812A9AA9DB.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B4589325-39FD-4E50-A51B-5705CEE5FBB1.jpeg
    B4589325-39FD-4E50-A51B-5705CEE5FBB1.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A85CCC45-1496-43AC-8D77-D135BC86ED72.jpeg
    A85CCC45-1496-43AC-8D77-D135BC86ED72.jpeg
    619.9 KB · Views: 4
I have been raising chickens for about 16 years. My daughter was in 4-H and fell in love the chickens. We started with 2, have had as many as 24 and we currently stand at 15, most are about 2 -4 years old. We have a menagerie of chickens, Rhode Islands, Buff Orpington, Plymouth Rocks, Leghorns, Australorp and some Sex-links.
We live in 3/4 acre in a rural suburb and are surrounded by a sod farm. There is plenty of room for our 2 dogs and the cats do not venture outback, its' the dogs territory :) We have one lonely duck left. Her parents and siblings have succumb to predators. We keep our girls safe but there is always a predator hiding somewhere. We do have black snakes who like to steal eggs of the duck and chickens. Let’s not forget the 2 rabbits; Marble & Willow.
My children are grown now but my grandchildren love the chickens and my one has also shown chickens in 4-H. I co-lead a small animal club in my county and chickens are included in this. My husband has always liked the "girls" but in the past year with my schedule he has been their primary care taker. He gives eggs away and gets chocolate and home made cookies in return...I never get anything :) I have known about BackYard Chickens and have utilized the site for information on chickens, others experiences as well. It's about time I joined! I am also attaching a picture of the Girls visiting my neighbors yard, her friend painted this picture a few years ago, it is beautiful.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Wonderful pictures, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom