THANK YOU! On road to recover - Severe External Parasite Infestation!

Ivermectin 5% pour-on for cattle..
Gei it at any feed store.. or TSC..
It worms the chickens and kills lice and mites..
Use a few drops on the back of the neck..and even under their wings.

It's obvious your friend doesnt know anything about raising chickens, you need to teach him/her. Since the hen is only 5-6 months old and on its way recovering from this infestation, you must redust her and her living quarters in 10 days. I agree with elmo....do NOT worm her until she has fully recovered, she is currently at death's door and you've prevented that, superb job! If you get the chance, switch her over to layer crumbles. Continue with plain yogurt (probiotic), canned beef catfood (high protein) all mixed in layer crumbles, do that for a few more days then later crumbles only. When you feel confident she's fully recovered, worming can come at a later time down the road.

Good suggestions, all. However, if I were facing this situation, I would dip her in Adams Flea and Tick Dip. Mix as directed in a 5gal bucket of warm water. No need to re treat as the Adams works for at least a month(you can smell it). For the internal parasites, mix cayenne pepper into her food to look like it`s rusty. Repeat in 10 days. Chickens don`t have the heat resceptors like other animals and will eat it right up. Worms, on the otherhand, will vacate the premisis. Cayenne in the front, any internal parasites run out the back. It`s natural so it won`t hurt her. To build her up, Red Cell is a blood fortifying vitamin for horses. Mix with her water to look like weak tea. That should do it. She will show marked results in a week. Good luck........Pop

Thank you one and all. I thank you and so does Lulu.
smile.png

My friend is gone for 2 weeks so that will give me time to work with her and hopefully she will make it. If she does, I'm just going to ask my friend to let me take Lulu because I have more time to devote to chickens than she does.

I'll hold off on the worming - but try the cayenne since its natural. Since the colony of little critters has vacated she is much calmer. I can't imagine what it felt like to have all those wee beasties all over the place. Honestly, she even looks grateful. I swear.

Any idea of how long the depluming mites take to clear a 4"x8" section of feathers, making the skin completely smooth and bare? I'm trying to figure out how long she's had this.

Also, can the damage from external parasites be permanent?

I appreciate your responses.

Pam

Quote:
Those parasites live off the blood of the host. It is possible for death to occur , if not treated. Also check her legs. If the scales apear to be lifting, or have a dry looking white powder on them, there could also be leg mites. To deal with those, cover the legs with anykind of oil, from burnt motor oil to veggie oil, even WD-40. The idea is to drown them. Once a week for a month should do it. You are doing a good thing..........Pop

Her legs look great. But I will be watching for anything on them.
I can report that Lulu (I've named her Lulu - she didn't have a name before) is loving her hard boiled egg and is very, very chatty. She's still very weak but seems to also feel much better. She doesn't really try to walk much yet but she has taken some nice tall, clean steps - and then wobbly again.

I keep on going through her feathers and finding more egg clusters so I'm cutting those off and will dust her in 8 days.

What a mess. Can't believe the damage.

Thank you to everyone who responded. She's well on the road to recovery. Walking tall and well. Gets tired easily, but that's understandable.

Again, Muchas Gracias!

Back
Top Bottom