Thanks for Giving

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Resolution, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

This season brings out the glutton in me. I love pies and golden baked turkey skin. But you know, sometimes people really tick me off with their entitlements- advertising - capitalizing on what should be a day of momentous humility for the American family.

So - I just to want to give thanks to the indigenous peoples of this hemisphere for the thousands of years of selective breeding that brought us:

1. Turkey
    2. Corn
    3. Tomatoes
    4. Potatoes
    5. Chocolate
    6. Beans
    7. Pumpkin
    8. Squash
    9.Cranberry
    10. Concord Grape
    11. Sweet Peppers
    12. Hot Peppers
    13. Blue Berries
    14. Sweet Potato
    15. Pineapple
    16. Avocado
    17. Pecans
    18. Peanuts
    19. Brazil Nuts
    20. Macadamia Nuts
    21. Quinoa
    22. Guava
    23. Papaya
    24. All Spice
    25. Cocaine (it's a medicine people)
    26. Sunflower
    27. Cotton
    28. Tobacco
    29. Strawberries

Can anyone help me out with any other livestock or crops endemic to the "New World" ?

Isn't it amazing how many of these foods and materials we consume, wear, smoke or get shot up at the dentist office (novo-caine) - every year of our lives?

What would our Thanksgiving be if it were not for the North American Indians ( English Speakers) Canadian Indians ( French and English Speakers), Meso-American Indians ( Spanish Speakers)? We have so much to be thankful for.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Isn't it amazing how many of these foods and materials we consume, wear, smoke or get shot up at the dentist office (novo-caine) - every year of our lives?

What would our Thanksgiving be if it were not for the North American Indians ( English Speakers) Canadian Indians ( French and English Speakers), Meso-American Indians ( Spanish Speakers)? We have so much to be thankful for.

I am thankful, too!

Happy Thanksgiving!​

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    You forgot coffee, well not really indiginous but we have sure improved on it in the southern America.

Sugar

4. Resolution

Quote:Coffee is from Ethiopia- - and yes it's been really developed here hasn't it- to a great degree- but Sugar! Is Sugar Cane from this hemisphere! Holy Cow! How could we live without sugar- coffee sure would suck without it, that's for certain.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I am not sure about sugar, I think it is from Indonesia originally but was grown in the western U.S. from sugar beets and cane sugar was once grown in Hawaii and I think now only in Florida.
    Quote:Coffee is from Ethiopia- - and yes it's been really developed here hasn't it- to a great degree- but Sugar! Is Sugar Cane from this hemisphere! Holy Cow! How could we live without sugar- coffee sure would suck without it, that's for certain.

6. Resolution

Hmm let's do some research! Yeah!
    Yup- Sugarcane is from South Asia- but again- developed largely by the Dutch with plenty of help-in the Americas.

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I read that it is a large crop in Brazil now days. I have eaten raw sugar beets in eastern Washington as a kid and they were very bland but very sweet as I remember. They still grow a lot of sugar beets in Idaho and Utah and now that I think about it they grow alot of sugar beet seed in the Willamette valley here in Oregon.

8. Resolution

Quote:We have to be thankful for Sugar Beets carried to the Americas by the Europeans! I love beets- but have to put a little stick it on the mirror in the bathroom and on the calendar less my doctor yell at me for being a hypochondriac...

9. Resolution

I give thanks for the good Lord giving me the gift of having a good cry. CAUTION WATCH AT YOUR OWN CAUTION.

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    White tail deer? They aren't exactly livestock, but they are endemic and taste sooo good. Black walnuts? Isn't there a chestnut native to the usa?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by