Thanks for Giving

Resolution

Chillin' With My Peeps
14 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Ouray County, Colorado
This season brings out the glutton in me. I love pies and golden baked turkey skin. But you know, sometimes people really tick me off with their entitlements- advertising - capitalizing on what should be a day of momentous humility for the American family.

So - I just to want to give thanks to the indigenous peoples of this hemisphere for the thousands of years of selective breeding that brought us:

1. Turkey
2. Corn
3. Tomatoes
4. Potatoes
5. Chocolate
6. Beans
7. Pumpkin
8. Squash
9.Cranberry
10. Concord Grape
11. Sweet Peppers
12. Hot Peppers
13. Blue Berries
14. Sweet Potato
15. Pineapple
16. Avocado
17. Pecans
18. Peanuts
19. Brazil Nuts
20. Macadamia Nuts
21. Quinoa
22. Guava
23. Papaya
24. All Spice
25. Cocaine (it's a medicine people)
26. Sunflower
27. Cotton
28. Tobacco
29. Strawberries

Can anyone help me out with any other livestock or crops endemic to the "New World" ?

Isn't it amazing how many of these foods and materials we consume, wear, smoke or get shot up at the dentist office (novo-caine) - every year of our lives?

What would our Thanksgiving be if it were not for the North American Indians ( English Speakers) Canadian Indians ( French and English Speakers), Meso-American Indians ( Spanish Speakers)? We have so much to be thankful for.

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing how many of these foods and materials we consume, wear, smoke or get shot up at the dentist office (novo-caine) - every year of our lives?

What would our Thanksgiving be if it were not for the North American Indians ( English Speakers) Canadian Indians ( French and English Speakers), Meso-American Indians ( Spanish Speakers)? We have so much to be thankful for.

I am thankful, too!

Happy Thanksgiving!​

Quote:
Coffee is from Ethiopia- - and yes it's been really developed here hasn't it- to a great degree- but Sugar! Is Sugar Cane from this hemisphere! Holy Cow! How could we live without sugar- coffee sure would suck without it, that's for certain.

Last edited:
I am not sure about sugar, I think it is from Indonesia originally but was grown in the western U.S. from sugar beets and cane sugar was once grown in Hawaii and I think now only in Florida.
Quote:
Coffee is from Ethiopia- - and yes it's been really developed here hasn't it- to a great degree- but Sugar! Is Sugar Cane from this hemisphere! Holy Cow! How could we live without sugar- coffee sure would suck without it, that's for certain.

Quote:

Hmm let's do some research! Yeah!
Yup- Sugarcane is from South Asia- but again- developed largely by the Dutch with plenty of help-in the Americas.

I read that it is a large crop in Brazil now days. I have eaten raw sugar beets in eastern Washington as a kid and they were very bland but very sweet as I remember. They still grow a lot of sugar beets in Idaho and Utah and now that I think about it they grow alot of sugar beet seed in the Willamette valley here in Oregon.

Quote:
We have to be thankful for Sugar Beets carried to the Americas by the Europeans! I love beets- but have to put a little stick it on the mirror in the bathroom and on the calendar less my doctor yell at me for being a hypochondriac...

White tail deer? They aren't exactly livestock, but they are endemic and taste sooo good. Black walnuts? Isn't there a chestnut native to the usa?

Back
Top Bottom