Thanks for letting me join your community

SummerBinkowski

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2022
My husband and I have a 4 hens and 1 rooster. I’m brand new to this, he had some when he was growing up. Just like our 4 dogs I’m getting the majority of the responsibility as he finds a new project or “toy” 😊
We purchased our flock from Tractor Supply about 7 months ago and the state we are in requires a minimum of 6 when purchasing chickens. Unfortunately we ended up with 2 roosters, we found a friend to take one of them (he was a gorgeous Sapphire Gem but seemed more aggressive)
I’m a huge animal lover, yes I cried a bit when he had to leave and I learned the hard way not to name them(learned for next time or when we add to our coop) 😊
We have 3 brown leghorn chicks “Maybeline”, and the “Olsen twins”, we have “Yasmeen” who’s a Colombian Wyandotte and the rooster “Blue” who is a silver laced Wyandotte.
Im enjoying them, I know they’re spoiled but they produce well for us so they deserve fresh veggies and fruits from time to time. I think we have a great flock, one of the Olsen twins had a spot of blood on her comb awhile back and nobody pecked her to death.
Stumbled upon this community when looking for insight on my my rooster gets excited when he hears me yell “chickopee “ something I’ve been doing since they were baby chicks.
Thanks for letting me join I’m looking forward to all the great advice and stories.

Attachments

• 73B15538-F74C-461C-A9C8-9B0967BFC4CD.jpeg
    73B15538-F74C-461C-A9C8-9B0967BFC4CD.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 11
  • 21561886-AF1D-45E0-8B2D-D41942EEA0E6.jpeg
    21561886-AF1D-45E0-8B2D-D41942EEA0E6.jpeg
    689.6 KB · Views: 1
This year was the first time I also had to rehome an aggressive rooster chick, and it was tough seeing Pauly go. But, unlike you I will learn nothing from the experience and will continue to name any and all chicks :)!

Sounds like you have a lovely, spoiled flock -- just the way chickens should be!

Welcome to BYC; it's good to meet you.

Back
Top Bottom